From: Marc Battyani
Subject: [Announce] CL-PDF the Common Lisp PDF Library 0.2
CL-PDF is a Common Lisp PDF Library for generating PDF files.

You will find it here:
www.fractalconcept.com/asp/html/cl-pdf.html

It is released with a BSD style license so it's usable for commercial work.

It it how it looks:

(pdf:with-document ()
    (pdf:with-page ()
      (let ((helvetica (make-instance 'pdf:font)))
 (pdf:add-fonts-to-page helvetica)
 (pdf:in-text-mode
  (pdf:set-font helvetica 36.0)
  (pdf:move-text 100 800)
  (pdf:draw-text "cl-pdf: Example 1"))
 (pdf:translate 230 500)
 (loop repeat 101
       for i = 0.67 then (* i 1.045)
       do (pdf:in-text-mode
    (pdf:set-font helvetica i)
    (pdf:move-text (* i 3) 0)
    (pdf:draw-text "rotation"))
       (pdf:rotate 18))))
    (pdf:write-document file))

=> gives this > http://www.fractalconcept.com/fcweb/download/ex1.pdf

Before writing it, I was rather impressed by the size of the PDF
documentation. After writing it I'm really impressed by Common Lisp. As you
will see, the library is quite small, yet really powerful.

So enjoy it and send me some great looking PDF files to put in a gallery on
the web site.

I also think that it's an opportunity to open several sub projects.

1) Finishing CL-PDF:

1.1- In CL-PDF I open the file for writing with a LW specific option to open
it with no CR/LF translation.
I would need the different versions of doing this on other implementation
running on Windows.

1.2-Compression : If someone would like to FLI the zlib compression, I could
integrate it to generate compressed PDF files. I can't do it alone as it has
to be done for several implementations to be useful.

2) Building utility layers on top of CL-PDF to turn it as a really powerful
drawing publication platform. I'm willing to coordinate and drive this
effort but I haven't the time to do it alone.

2.1-Basic Graphic primitives build on top of PDF : Arc, ellipse, round rect,
etc.

2.2- Higher level Graphic functions. ie Functions to draw : axis, lin/log
scales, barcodes etc.
(OK all this exists but it's not always very good and does not always do
what you want.)

2.3-Text layout functions (well not a full Tex but at least writing text in
a box for instance)

2.4-CL-TeX: Well here I'm kidding but not completely ;-)

3) CL-PDF Logo like layer for kids. I have teach Logo at a local school
where my sons go but I've found that Logo was great to start but a deceptive
one after a while. A CL-PDF Logo could lead to extremely good quality
drawings. I definitively think that's a way to explore.

Feedback welcomed.

Thanks to all the testers.

Marc

From: Wade Humeniuk
Subject: Re: [Announce] CL-PDF the Common Lisp PDF Library 0.2
Doesn't OSX use PDF for its interface definitions?  In your coding effort
did you get the feeling that PDF could be used to build GUI interfaces?

Wade
From: Raffael Cavallaro
"Wade Humeniuk" <········@cadvision.com> wrote in message news:<············@news3.cadvision.com>...
> Doesn't OSX use PDF for its interface definitions?  In your coding effort
> did you get the feeling that PDF could be used to build GUI interfaces?
>
> Wade

Mac OS X uses PDF, but remember, you can embed bitmaps in a PDF
document, so many of the GUI widgets are done with embedded bitmaps at
screen resolution (72 dpi).

The real advantages of PDF as a native display mode are:

1. Screen drawing and printing code are essentially the same.

2. Resolution independent documents become much easier.
From: Lieven Marchand
"Wade Humeniuk" <········@cadvision.com> writes:

> Doesn't OSX use PDF for its interface definitions?  In your coding effort
> did you get the feeling that PDF could be used to build GUI interfaces?

It uses Display PDF which is something akin Display Postscript or even
NeWS. But even standard PDF has in its latest incarnation forms and
support javascript.

--
Lieven Marchand <···@wyrd.be>
She says, "Honey, you're a Bastard of great proportion."
From: Samir Sekkat
In article <DAEF639A4164B423.1E988BF8294DD429.662DB73F456749F4
@lp.airnews.net>, ·············@fractalconcept.com says...
> CL-PDF is a Common Lisp PDF Library for generating PDF files.

Dear Marc,

thank you very much for this contribution to the CL community.
Looks very useful :-)

Bye
Samir
From: Marc Battyani
"Samir Sekkat" <·······@gmx.de> wrote
> In article <DAEF639A4164B423.1E988BF8294DD429.662DB73F456749F4
> @lp.airnews.net>, ·············@fractalconcept.com says...
> > CL-PDF is a Common Lisp PDF Library for generating PDF files.
>
> Dear Marc,
>
> thank you very much for this contribution to the CL community.
> Looks very useful :-)

Thanks. I'm glad you appreciate it.

Speaking about "contribution to the CL community", I must say that I'm a
little bit disapointed to see that nobody seems interested to contribute to
the sub-projects layered on CL-PDF that I proposed....

Marc
From: Kenny Tilton
Marc Battyani wrote:

> "Samir Sekkat" <·······@gmx.de> wrote
> > In article <DAEF639A4164B423.1E988BF8294DD429.662DB73F456749F4
> > @lp.airnews.net>, ·············@fractalconcept.com says...
> > > CL-PDF is a Common Lisp PDF Library for generating PDF files.
> >
> > Dear Marc,
> >
> > thank you very much for this contribution to the CL community.
> > Looks very useful :-)
>
> Thanks. I'm glad you appreciate it.
>
> Speaking about "contribution to the CL community", I must say that I'm a
> little bit disapointed to see that nobody seems interested to contribute to
> the sub-projects layered on CL-PDF that I proposed....

I am too busy sharing Cells, but someone else interested in Cells
expressed interest in using Cells and CL-PDF together on an upcoming
project. Cells (and something like the accompanying model-graphics GUI
layer that sits atop Cells) would handle layout.

Or if you want to look my stuff (it is ACL/CG-only for now) you might
grok a quick splice.

I do not even have time to work on sharing Cells till next week, getting
ready for a big demo Monday. But I expect to be tapping your stuff
eventually. Thanks for putting it together.

--

 kenny tilton
 clinisys, inc
From: Jochen Schmidt
Marc Battyani wrote:

> "Samir Sekkat" <·······@gmx.de> wrote
>> In article <DAEF639A4164B423.1E988BF8294DD429.662DB73F456749F4
>> @lp.airnews.net>, ·············@fractalconcept.com says...
>> > CL-PDF is a Common Lisp PDF Library for generating PDF files.
>>
>> Dear Marc,
>>
>> thank you very much for this contribution to the CL community.
>> Looks very useful :-)
>
> Thanks. I'm glad you appreciate it.
>
> Speaking about "contribution to the CL community", I must say that I'm a
> little bit disapointed to see that nobody seems interested to contribute
> to the sub-projects layered on CL-PDF that I proposed....

This has not much to say. In my experience people who contribute come to you
if they actually need your tool for something. Taking into account how
young CL-PDF is, there are not many people using it. Give us some time to
realize what we can do with our new "toy" ;-)

ciao,
Jochen

--
http://www.dataheaven.de
From: Marc Battyani
"Jochen Schmidt" <···@dataheaven.de> wrote in
> Marc Battyani wrote:
>

> > "Samir Sekkat" <·······@gmx.de> wrote
> >> In article <DAEF639A4164B423.1E988BF8294DD429.662DB73F456749F4
> >> @lp.airnews.net>, ·············@fractalconcept.com says...
> >>
> >> Dear Marc,
> >>
> >> thank you very much for this contribution to the CL community.
> >> Looks very useful :-)
> >
> > Thanks. I'm glad you appreciate it.
> >
> > Speaking about "contribution to the CL community", I must say that I'm a
> > little bit disapointed to see that nobody seems interested to contribute
> > to the sub-projects layered on CL-PDF that I proposed....
>
> This has not much to say. In my experience people who contribute come to
you
> if they actually need your tool for something. Taking into account how
> young CL-PDF is, there are not many people using it. Give us some time to
> realize what we can do with our new "toy" ;-)

Yep, I must be too impatient...Anyway, I think this kind of stuff is
perfectly suited to massive collaborative work as the functions needed are
isolated and rather small. In fact most of the functions are so easy that
even people learning Common Lisp could write some.

Marc
From: Daniel Barlow
"Marc Battyani" <·············@fractalconcept.com> writes:

> Yep, I must be too impatient...Anyway, I think this kind of stuff is
> perfectly suited to massive collaborative work as the functions needed are
> isolated and rather small. In fact most of the functions are so easy that
> even people learning Common Lisp could write some.

How far have you publicised it outside of the Common Lisp community?
Ghostscript hackers (http://www.ghostscript.com/) might be interested,
for one thing.  Doesn't GNUStep use Display PDF?  They might want to
know too.

If some of the sub-projects are opportunities to learn CL, perhaps
these would be good places to find potential hackers.  You can't spend
all day writing in a stack-based language and not have _some_ kind of
appreciation for Lispy syntax ;-)

The January edition of FTX13
<URL:http://ww.telent.net/cliki/Free_The_X3J_Thirteen> is out tomorrow
and will include news of CL-PDF.  If you want it to say anything in
particular (that I wouldn't have known from reading the announcements)
you have approximately 20 hours to send me email ...

-dan

--

  http://ww.telent.net/cliki/ - Link farm for free CL-on-Unix resources
From: Marc Battyani
"Daniel Barlow" <···@telent.net> wrote > "Marc Battyani"
<·············@fractalconcept.com> writes:

> > Yep, I must be too impatient...Anyway, I think this kind of stuff is
> > perfectly suited to massive collaborative work as the functions needed
are
> > isolated and rather small. In fact most of the functions are so easy
that
> > even people learning Common Lisp could write some.
>
> How far have you publicised it outside of the Common Lisp community?
> Ghostscript hackers (http://www.ghostscript.com/) might be interested,
> for one thing.  Doesn't GNUStep use Display PDF?  They might want to
> know too.
>
> If some of the sub-projects are opportunities to learn CL, perhaps
> these would be good places to find potential hackers.  You can't spend
> all day writing in a stack-based language and not have _some_ kind of
> appreciation for Lispy syntax ;-)
>
> The January edition of FTX13
> <URL:http://ww.telent.net/cliki/Free_The_X3J_Thirteen> is out tomorrow
> and will include news of CL-PDF.  If you want it to say anything in
> particular (that I wouldn't have known from reading the announcements)
> you have approximately 20 hours to send me email ...

It seems that your message took about 21 hours to show up on my news
server... (see below)

Anyway your description of CL-PDF in the January edition of FTX13 is OK, but
the link is broken.

Marc

Date: 03 Feb 2002 16:11:28 +0000
From: Brian P Templeton
"Marc Battyani" <·············@fractalconcept.com> writes:

> CL-PDF is a Common Lisp PDF Library for generating PDF files.
>
> You will find it here:
> www.fractalconcept.com/asp/html/cl-pdf.html
>
> It is released with a BSD style license so it's usable for commercial work.

And even proprietary software.
> It it how it looks:

[...]

> => gives this > http://www.fractalconcept.com/fcweb/download/ex1.pdf
>

> Before writing it, I was rather impressed by the size of the PDF
> documentation. After writing it I'm really impressed by Common Lisp. As you
> will see, the library is quite small, yet really powerful.
>
> So enjoy it and send me some great looking PDF files to put in a gallery on
> the web site.
>
> I also think that it's an opportunity to open several sub projects.
>
> 1) Finishing CL-PDF:
>
> 1.1- In CL-PDF I open the file for writing with a LW specific option to open
> it with no CR/LF translation.
> I would need the different versions of doing this on other implementation
> running on Windows.
>
> 1.2-Compression : If someone would like to FLI the zlib compression, I could
> integrate it to generate compressed PDF files. I can't do it alone as it has
> to be done for several implementations to be useful.
>
> 2) Building utility layers on top of CL-PDF to turn it as a really powerful
> drawing publication platform. I'm willing to coordinate and drive this
> effort but I haven't the time to do it alone.
>
> 2.1-Basic Graphic primitives build on top of PDF : Arc, ellipse, round rect,
> etc.
>
> 2.2- Higher level Graphic functions. ie Functions to draw : axis, lin/log
> scales, barcodes etc.
> (OK all this exists but it's not always very good and does not always do
> what you want.)
>
> 2.3-Text layout functions (well not a full Tex but at least writing text in
> a box for instance)
>
> 2.4-CL-TeX: Well here I'm kidding but not completely ;-)

Heh. CLambdaTeX-PDF :).

--
BPT <···@tunes.org>	    		/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
backronym for Linux:			\ / No HTML or RTF in mail