From: Robert Feldt
Subject: Parser generators / combinator frameworks?
Hi,

I've been developing a parsing framework in Ruby+C for some time now and
would like to know if you have any pointers to such things in Lisp and/or
Scheme. I'm interested in getting a "full picture" of whats out there so
any pointers would be interesting (traditional generators as well as
combinator libs etc).

I'm relatively new to the Lisp/Scheme communities so I don't even know if
there are any obvious repositiories I should check out. Any pointers
appreciated. Focus is on parsing programming languages and not natural
language parsing (even though I'd rather not rule anything out).

Since what I've seen of the Lisp/Scheme world has been very impressive so
far I'd think there are some good stuff out there even
though parsing the languages themselves (Lisp/Scheme that is) is trivial
compared to many other languages (Perl and Ruby to name a few...).

Regards,

Robert Feldt
·····@ce.chalmers.se

From: Avi Bryant
Subject: Re: Parser generators / combinator frameworks?
Robert Feldt <·····@ce.chalmers.se> wrote in message news:<······································@godzilla.ce.chalmers.se>...
> Hi,
>
> I've been developing a parsing framework in Ruby+C for some time now and
> would like to know if you have any pointers to such things in Lisp and/or
> Scheme. I'm interested in getting a "full picture" of whats out there so
> any pointers would be interesting (traditional generators as well as
> combinator libs etc).

Robert,

You should check out Bigloo, which comes standard with a nice regular
parser facility.  It's somewhat low-level compared to Rockit, but you
might find it interesting:

http://www-sop.inria.fr/mimosa/fp/Bigloo/doc/bigloo-9.html#container1121

Cheers,
Avi
From: Nils Goesche
In article <······································@godzilla.ce.chalmers.se>, Robert Feldt wrote:
> I've been developing a parsing framework in Ruby+C for some time now and
> would like to know if you have any pointers to such things in Lisp and/or
> Scheme.

You might want to have a look at

http://www-cgi.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/ai-repository/ai/lang/lisp/code/parsing/zebu/0.html

Regards,
--
Nils Goesche

PGP key ID 0x42B32FC9
From: Darren Bane
Robert Feldt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been developing a parsing framework in Ruby+C for some time now and
> would like to know if you have any pointers to such things in Lisp and/or
> Scheme. I'm interested in getting a "full picture" of whats out there so
> any pointers would be interesting (traditional generators as well as
> combinator libs etc).

I think Essence (for Scheme) is an interesting project from the research standpoint.  It uses partial evaluation.

http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/proglang/software/essence/
--
Darren Bane
PGP key available from keyservers or my .plan
From: David Rush
Darren Bane <······@blackhole.ir.intel.com> writes:
> Robert Feldt wrote:
> > I'm interested in getting a "full picture" of whats out there so
> > any pointers would be interesting (traditional generators as well as
> > combinator libs etc).
>
> I think Essence (for Scheme) is an interesting project from the
> research standpoint.  It uses partial evaluation.

Not just from the research standpoint. I'm a very pleased user of
Essence. It has the annoying habit of wanting to be in control of the
I/O loop, but virtually every (meaning all of those that *I* didn't
write) parser generator I've ever seen does that. Fortunately, in
Scheme you have call/cc to unlock the main loop. Life just doesn't get
any better than that...

david rush
--
To have no errors
Would be life without meaning
From: Rolf Rander Naess
[ Robert Feldt, 24 Jan 2002 20:38 ]
> Hi,
>
> I've been developing a parsing framework in Ruby+C for some time now and
> would like to know if you have any pointers to such things in Lisp and/or
> Scheme. I'm interested in getting a "full picture" of whats out there so
> any pointers would be interesting (traditional generators as well as
> combinator libs etc).

A simple but powerful approach to parsing regular expressions is shown
in:

  http://linux.rice.edu/~rahul/hbaker/Prag-Parse.html

(It might be to simple for your requirements, but it is still a good
tool)

This is also a good example of the unique ability of CL to extend the
language through macros.

Regards, Rolf Rander

--
(c) 2000 Rolf Rander N�ss
http://www.pvv.org/~rolfn/

My mailer limits .sigs to 4 lines. But ingeniously I bypassed this by