From: Christopher Stacy
Subject: bye for now
comp.lang.lisp has seriously degenerated into troll-land.
I'll read it again in about four months and see if things are any better then.
Meanwhile, have fun everybody!

From: Nils Goesche
Subject: Re: bye for now
In article <·············@swingandcircle.com>, Christopher Stacy wrote:

> comp.lang.lisp has seriously degenerated into troll-land.  I'll read
> it again in about four months and see if things are any better then.
> Meanwhile, have fun everybody!

Just killfile the moron and wait until Erik's back; I guess he is
recovering to full strength and energy right now.  The trolls won't
resist him for long ;-)

Regards,
--
Nils Goesche

PGP key ID 0x42B32FC9
From: Raymond Wiker
Christopher Stacy <······@swingandcircle.com> writes:

> comp.lang.lisp has seriously degenerated into troll-land.
> I'll read it again in about four months and see if things are any
> better then.
> Meanwhile, have fun everybody!

        This is bad. We've now (temporarily) lost at least two people
who write thoughtful and interesting articles relevant to this
forum. This will seriously disturb the signal/noise ratio here, unless
something is done. As a partial solution, I offer the contents of my
comp.lang.lisp kill file:

(gnus-kill "From" "\"Aaron K \\. Johnson\" <···@21stcentury\\.net>")
(gnus-kill "From" ·········@my-deja\\.com")
(gnus-kill "From" ···········@my-deja\\.com")
(gnus-kill "From" "<···@best\\.com>")
(gnus-kill "From" ····@xahlee\\.org")
(gnus-kill "From" "<········@.*optushome\\.com\\.au>")
(gnus-kill "From" "Brouillet.* <·····@mac\\.com>")
(gnus-kill "From" ·······@interaccess\\.com (Thaddeus L Olczyk)")

--
Raymond Wiker                        Mail:  ·············@fast.no
Senior Software Engineer             Web:   http://www.fast.no/

Try FAST Search: http://alltheweb.com/
From: Xah Lee
Dear Raymond Wiker and friends,

In Gotham City, where Batman is fighting crimes, there arises the
problem of how do you call the mysterious Batman when the city needs
him. The solution offered is a giant spot-light with a Batman Insignia
silhouette. When the serene night sky floats such a giant Bat, it
indicates that urgent measures must be taken against crime.

Raymond Wiker wrote:
 > As a partial solution, I offer the contents of my
 > comp.lang.lisp kill file:
 > (gnus-kill "From" "<···@best\\.com>")
 > (gnus-kill "From" ····@xahlee\\.org")

and when comp.lang.lisp needs Xah to fight unthinkers, all you have to
do is to mention my name!

--

Seriously Mr Wiker, when you offered your kill-file to the public,
have you thought about how you might be summoning the trolls on your

--

Dear Xah readers,

This Raymond Wiker fella, thinks that he did the world a favor by
publishing his kill-file blacklist. Why cannot these kill-filers just
shut the fuck up about their kill-filing activity? It is one thing to
kill-file someone, it is another to broadcast such activity. Why in
the world we keep seeing posts about how somebody kill-filed somebody?
If there's no such posts, the so-desired signal/noise ratio would be
improved significantly already.

 Xah
 ···@xahlee.org
 http://xahlee.org/PageTwo_dir/more.html

From: Raymond Wiker (·············@fast.no)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
Date: 2002-01-22 05:47:31 PST
From: Kurt B. Kaiser
···@xahlee.org (Xah Lee) writes:

> i think your subconscious is to showcase what a smart
> unthinking ass you are.

No, I think it's an attempt to get the group to igore dopes like you.  I think
that's a good idea.  There's no other way to get this group back to normal.

You just got my L A ! Join the club.

KBK
From: Friedrich Dominicus
Christopher Stacy <······@swingandcircle.com> writes:

> comp.lang.lisp has seriously degenerated into troll-land.
Do you think shying away from conflicts with such troll will help?

I won't let any troll drive me out here. Well I agree it gets on my
nerves to that people come along, do not take a single second to check
before they post and start ranting about non free
implementation. Commercial implementation or whatever. Well you can
simply ignore them, kill-file them or prepare a standard answer and
send it ever time a troll comes along..

Regards
Friedrich
From: Kenny Tilton
Friedrich Dominicus wrote:

> Christopher Stacy <······@swingandcircle.com> writes:
>
> > comp.lang.lisp has seriously degenerated into troll-land.
> Do you think shying away from conflicts with such troll will help?

Well unfortunately that is the new ANSI CL Standard. It is not clear to
me how reducing signal reduces noise, but the standard seems to be
catching on.

The funny thing is, this is all happening just as the signal here was
building to a threshold at which the noise would first become
negligible and then whither away -- part of why the noise is so strong
is that quality posters cannot resist feeding the trolls.

So I am outtahere. I will check back in three months to see if quality
posters have stopped checking out for three months before coming back to
see if the flaming has diminished.

:)

kenny
clinisys
From: Friedrich Dominicus

> Friedrich Dominicus wrote:
> >
> > Christopher Stacy <······@swingandcircle.com> writes:
> >
> > > comp.lang.lisp has seriously degenerated into troll-land.
> > Do you think shying away from conflicts with such troll will help?
>
> Well unfortunately that is the new ANSI CL Standard. It is not clear to
> me how reducing signal reduces noise, but the standard seems to be
> catching on.
What do you mean by this?

> The funny thing is, this is all happening just as the signal here was
> building to a threshold at which the noise would first become
> negligible and then whither away -- part of why the noise is so strong
> is that quality posters cannot resist feeding the trolls.
Well, I try to ignor such things, but sometimes I'm realyl fed up. And
can not keep my fingers quiet. Sometimes this ignorance is way beyond
me. Well than I probably am feeding the trolls.

> So I am outtahere. I will check back in three months to see if quality
> posters have stopped checking out for three months before coming back to
> see if the flaming has diminished.
What is the problem with just reading the Subjects? They usually are
more than enough.

Anyway, have some nice weeks
Friedrich
From: Kenny Tilton
Friedrich Dominicus wrote:

> Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com> writes:

> > Well unfortunately that is the new ANSI CL Standard. It is not clear to
> > me how reducing signal reduces noise, but the standard seems to be
> > catching on.
> What do you mean by this?

First Kent (hence "standard" since he is a Lisp Legend), then
Christopher (hence "catching on")... but all in all I was just kidding
about the trend a few of us had noticed about the keepers abandoning the
joint to the inmates.

> Well, I try to ignor such things, but sometimes I'm realyl fed up. And
> can not keep my fingers quiet.

Agreed.

> What is the problem with just reading the Subjects? They usually are
> more than enough.
>
> Anyway, have some nice weeks

Sorry, i was joking, I'm not really leaving. But thx for the concern!

Kenny
CliniSys