From: Thaddeus L Olczyk
Subject: A better debugger.
First I don't find much to fault with in the debugger
( and I've seen several different versions, I'm speaking about
the common parts ).
The thing is that it gives all the functionality needed
( but it could give even more ).
The thing is that it seems disorganised to me.
( For example I don't see the source in question. )
Is there anything like xxgdb or ddd for lisp?
Or perhaps an interface to lisp like gud.
( Note: I have ilisp, but have not yet installed it. If that
will work let me know. )

From: Pierre R. Mai
Subject: Re: A better debugger.
······@interaccess.com (Thaddeus L Olczyk) writes:

> First I don't find much to fault with in the debugger
> ( and I've seen several different versions, I'm speaking about
> the common parts ).
> The thing is that it gives all the functionality needed
> ( but it could give even more ).
> The thing is that it seems disorganised to me.
> ( For example I don't see the source in question. )

Well, that heavily depends on the implementation you are using.  In
CMU CL the debugger will show you the relevant form, and you can see
more source with the SOURCE/VSOURCE debugger commands (type HELP at
the debugger).

> Is there anything like xxgdb or ddd for lisp?

CMU CL comes with a Motif interface, which includes a graphical
debugger, inspector and lisp control center.

Regs, Pierre.

--
Pierre R. Mai <····@acm.org>                    http://www.pmsf.de/pmai/
 We cause accidents.                           -- Nathaniel Borenstein
From: Erik Winkels
······@interaccess.com (Thaddeus L Olczyk) writes:

> Is there anything like xxgdb or ddd for lisp?

You might want to check this one out:

    http://www.marclisp.bewoner.antwerpen.be/intro.html
    (found on: http://ww.telent.net/cliki/ )

Note: I've not used it myself (yet) but the screenshots look like
something you're asking for.

cheers,
Erik.
--
"Civil Service Rocket: Won't work; can't fire him."
-- Mike Andrews in the SDM
From: Joel Ray Holveck
>>  Is there anything like xxgdb or ddd for lisp?
> You might want to check this one out:
>     http://www.marclisp.bewoner.antwerpen.be/intro.html
>     (found on: http://ww.telent.net/cliki/ )
> Note: I've not used it myself (yet) but the screenshots look like
> something you're asking for.

I've used it a few times, and like it.  (I haven't used it more
because I've been on vacation.)  I do have to kill the process by hand
after I exit-- haven't bothered to debug that yet-- but I like the
setup.

I'd like to make something like Emacs's edebug, but that'll be a
while.

Cheers,
joelh
From: Thaddeus L Olczyk
On 17 Jan 2002 18:44:29 -0800, Joel Ray Holveck <·····@juniper.net>
wrote:

>>>  Is there anything like xxgdb or ddd for lisp?
>> You might want to check this one out:
>>     http://www.marclisp.bewoner.antwerpen.be/intro.html
>>     (found on: http://ww.telent.net/cliki/ )
>> Note: I've not used it myself (yet) but the screenshots look like
>> something you're asking for.
>
>I've used it a few times, and like it.  (I haven't used it more
>because I've been on vacation.)  I do have to kill the process by hand
>after I exit-- haven't bothered to debug that yet-- but I like the
>setup.
>
>I'd like to make something like Emacs's edebug, but that'll be a
>while.

I'm having all sorts of trouble setting up the latest version (0.92)
with clisp-2.27.
From: Joel Ray Holveck
>> I'd like to make something like Emacs's edebug, but that'll be a
>> while.
> I'm having all sorts of trouble setting up the latest version (0.92)
> with clisp-2.27.

I may have made a couple of trivial changes.  I'm using CMU CL.
From: Thaddeus L Olczyk
On 22 Jan 2002 16:29:55 -0800, Joel Ray Holveck <·····@juniper.net>
wrote:

>>> I'd like to make something like Emacs's edebug, but that'll be a
>>> while.
>> I'm having all sorts of trouble setting up the latest version (0.92)
>> with clisp-2.27.
>
>I may have made a couple of trivial changes.  I'm using CMU CL.
Apparently clisp mucked around with the way they do packages, and
that's mucked up lispdebug. For the moment I've given up, but I got
some help from the clisp group and will pick it up again Saturday.