From: P.C.
Subject: Am I lucky
Hi.
This maby sound odd, not just becaurse Im'e not english speaking, so It can be
hard to find the right word among the 400 ones I know, ------ but is Lisp
allways either run in batch mode interprentet or on a modified C compiler ?
I ask as Lisp is the only I know ; I know how most other work and basicly if you
know one you know all , except assembler maby. Anyway My problem is, that It's
been difficult for me, to find a cheap compiler made for Lisp.
Now some years ago I tried to find a Lisp compiler, as I like the way things are
done with Lisp, but every time I found somthing, I kind of ended in the
situasion, where I told myself, that then I could just aswell do what everybody
been telling me, and learn C++ ; then I could also take profit from the function
folders with AutoCAD.  But I know that I proberly never will get startet, as all
this compiler directives will turn me crazy, -------- spending 1 tenth the time
writing the code, 4 tenths debugging and the rest of the time tuning the
compiler isn't realy me.
Now after following the discussions here for near a week ,asd finding that you
guy's know somthing about what you are talking about, I trust you enough, to ask
you, if there are any hope for a somone like me.
Have a nice day.
P.C.
http://makeashorterlink.com/?B5574244

From: Nils Goesche
Subject: Re: Am I lucky
In article <·························@dspool01.news.tele.dk>, P.C. wrote:

> This maby sound odd, not just becaurse Im'e not english speaking, so It can be
> hard to find the right word among the 400 ones I know,

Same here, just don't worry about it; English speakers don't care
a bit, other than Germans and probably Danish :-)

> ------ but is Lisp
> allways either run in batch mode interprentet or on a modified C compiler ?

No.  It /can/ be interpreted, /can/ be translated to C, but most
implementations come with a genuine native code compiler.

> I ask as Lisp is the only I know ; I know how most other work and basicly if you
> know one you know all , except assembler maby.

That's not true, either.  There are several /families/ of languages,
and you probably know only languages from one family, like most
people do; in that case, most languages look indeed the same to you;
but, say, C, Smalltalk, Haskell, Prolog and Lisp are all totally
different from each other.

> Anyway My problem is, that It's
> been difficult for me, to find a cheap compiler made for Lisp.

Look harder.  CMUCL or CLISP are totally free.  The commercial
vendors also offer trial versions for free.

P.S. & OT:  Does anybody know whether vi has a fill-paragraph
function?  This editor is driving me nuts...

Regards,
--
Nils Goesche

PGP key ID 0x42B32FC9
From: Kaelin Colclasure
Subject: OT: vi command to reformat paragraph (was Re: Am I lucky)
Nils Goesche <······@cartan.de> writes:

> P.S. & OT:  Does anybody know whether vi has a fill-paragraph
> function?  This editor is driving me nuts...

Luckily vi makes this wonderfully simple:

:w
:!emacs -nw %
[ESC]q
[C-x][C-s]
[C-x][C-c]
[Return]
:r

-- Kaelin
From: dj special ed
By the way, what is "OT"?
-dj

From: Dr. Edmund Weitz
·············@yahoo.com (dj special ed) writes:

> By the way, what is "OT"?
> -dj

off topic
From: mikee
On 15 Jan 2002 22:18:15 -0800, <·············@yahoo.com> said:
> By the way, what is "OT"?
> -dj
>
> Kaelin Colclasure <······@acm.org> wrote in message news:<·················@cube.dev.resilience.com>...
>> Nils Goesche <······@cartan.de> writes:
>>
>> > P.S. & OT:  Does anybody know whether vi has a fill-paragraph
>> > function?  This editor is driving me nuts...
>>
>> Luckily vi makes this wonderfully simple:
>>
>> :w
>> :!emacs -nw %
>> [ESC]q
>> [C-x][C-s]
>> [C-x][C-c]
>> [Return]
>> :r
>>
>> -- Kaelin

:%!fmt -65
From: Marco Antoniotti
Kaelin Colclasure <······@acm.org> writes:

> Nils Goesche <······@cartan.de> writes:
>
> > P.S. & OT:  Does anybody know whether vi has a fill-paragraph
> > function?  This editor is driving me nuts...
>
> Luckily vi makes this wonderfully simple:
>
> :w
> :!emacs -nw %
> [ESC]q
> [C-x][C-s]
> [C-x][C-c]
> [Return]
> :r

Splendid! :)

719 Broadway 12th Floor                 fax  +1 - 212 - 995 4122
                    "Hello New York! We'll do what we can!"
                           Bill Murray in `Ghostbusters'.
From: Christopher Browne
Subject: OT: Fixing paragraphs
Nils Goesche <······@cartan.de> writes:
> P.S. & OT: Does anybody know whether vi has a fill-paragraph
> function?  This editor is driving me nuts...

Not directly.  You can select a paragraph and pipe it through "fmt" to
reformat.  (A "better still" option is the program "par", though it's
not universally available.)

The way I usually do it is to head to the start of the paragraph, then
count the number of lines, and (supposing it's 4) type:
4!!par[enter]

You might want 4!!fmt instead.

There is more than likely some way of specifying "this paragraph;" I
haven't bothered to find it.
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" ·@ntlug.org")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/rdbms.html
From: Nils Goesche
Subject: Re: OT: Fixing paragraphs
In article <·················@chvatal.cbbrowne.com>, Christopher Browne wrote:
> Nils Goesche <······@cartan.de> writes:
>> P.S. & OT: Does anybody know whether vi has a fill-paragraph
>> function?  This editor is driving me nuts...
>
> You might want 4!!fmt instead.

Hey, that's cool.  Thanks!

Regards,
--
Nils Goesche

PGP key ID 0x42B32FC9
From: Rahul Jain
Subject: fill-paragraph in vim (Re: Am I lucky)
Nils Goesche <······@cartan.de> writes:

> P.S. & OT:  Does anybody know whether vi has a fill-paragraph
> function?  This editor is driving me nuts...

"gqap" does it in vim, but not in other vi implementations.

--
-> -/-                       - Rahul Jain -                       -\- <-
-> -\- http://linux.rice.edu/~rahul -=-  ············@techie.com  -/- <-
From: Pierre R. Mai
Nils Goesche <······@cartan.de> writes:

> P.S. & OT:  Does anybody know whether vi has a fill-paragraph
> function?  This editor is driving me nuts...

In addition to the other responses, I trust you are aware of the
wrapmargin and/or wraplen options of vi, which are the equivalent of
auto-fill-mode in vi?  From the OpenBSD 2.9 manpage of vi:

       wraplen, wl [0]
              Vi  only.  Break lines automatically, the specified
              number of columns from the  left-hand  margin.   If
              both  the  wraplen  and wrapmargin edit options are
              set, the wrapmargin value is used.

                         October 10, 1996                      20

VI(1)                                                       VI(1)

       wrapmargin, wm [0]
              Vi only.  Break lines automatically, the  specified
              number  of  columns from the right-hand margin.  If
              both the wraplen and wrapmargin  edit  options  are
              set, the wrapmargin value is used.

Regs, Pierre.

--
Pierre R. Mai <····@acm.org>                    http://www.pmsf.de/pmai/
 We cause accidents.                           -- Nathaniel Borenstein
From: P.C.
Hi.

"Nils Goesche" <······@cartan.de> skrev i en meddelelse
···················@ID-125440.news.dfncis.de...
> In article <·························@dspool01.news.tele.dk>, P.C. wrote:
>
> > This maby sound odd, not just becaurse Im'e not english speaking, so It can
be
> > hard to find the right word among the 400 ones I know,
>
> Same here, just don't worry about it; English speakers don't care
> a bit, other than Germans and probably Danish :-)
>
> > ------ but is Lisp
> > allways either run in batch mode interprentet or on a modified C compiler ?
>
> No.  It /can/ be interpreted, /can/ be translated to C, but most
> implementations come with a genuine native code compiler.
>
> > I ask as Lisp is the only I know ; I know how most other work and basicly if
you
> > know one you know all , except assembler maby.
>
> That's not true, either.  There are several /families/ of languages,
> and you probably know only languages from one family, like most
> people do; in that case, most languages look indeed the same to you;
> but, say, C, Smalltalk, Haskell, Prolog and Lisp are all totally
> different from each other.
>
> > Anyway My problem is, that It's
> > been difficult for me, to find a cheap compiler made for Lisp.
>
> Look harder.  CMUCL or CLISP are totally free.  The commercial
> vendors also offer trial versions for free.
>
> P.S. & OT:  Does anybody know whether vi has a fill-paragraph
> function?  This editor is driving me nuts...
>
> Regards,

Now I downloaded LispWorks, -------- that one don't look any Bugwork ,but I
wonder if anyone have good or bad to say about this.
P.C.