From: ab talebi
Subject: comments
when we want to comment out something we do it like this

;; this is comment

but what if it is mre than one line do we have to comment each line?

; this
; is
; too
; complicated

From: Thomas A. Russ
Subject: Re: comments
#|
Not too much
trouble if you use
the bracketed
comment syntax

From: Kenny Tilton
in ACL IDE emacs-mode, one chord control-shift-; was enough to...

;;; Subject:
;;;              comments
;;;         Date:
;;;              Tue, 15 Jan 2002 15:50:49 GMT
;;;        From:
;;;              ············@yahoo.com (ab talebi)
;;;     Reply-To:
;;;              ·········@yahoo.com
;;;  Organization:
;;;              University of Oslo, Norway
;;;   Newsgroups:
;;;              comp.lang.lisp
;;;
;;;
;;;
;;;
;;; when we want to comment out something we do it like this
;;;
;;; ;; this is comment
;;;
;;; but what if it is mre than one line do we have to comment each line?
;;;
;;; ; this
;;; ; is
;;; ; too
;;; ; complicated

backs it out, too, if already remmed

kenny
clinisys
From: Dr. Edmund Weitz
············@yahoo.com (ab talebi) writes:

> when we want to comment out something we do it like this
>
> ;; this is comment
>
> but what if it is mre than one line do we have to comment each line?
>
> ; this
> ; is
> ; too
> ; complicated

···@bird:~> cmucl
CMU Common Lisp 18c, running on bird
Send questions and bug reports to your local CMU CL maintainer,
or to ··········@cons.org. and ·········@cons.org. respectively.
Loaded subsystems:
    Python 1.0, target Intel x86
    CLOS based on PCL version:  September 16 92 PCL (f)
    CLX X Library MIT R5.02
* #| this
is
not
so
complicated
|#
(+ 3 4)

7
*
From: David Hanley
"is
this
too
complex?"

dave
From: Brian P Templeton
···········@yahoo.com (David Hanley) writes:

> "is
> this
> too
> complex?"
>
> dave

(car

    "this will not work"

 somelist)

--
BPT <···@tunes.org>	    		/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
backronym for Linux:			\ / No HTML or RTF in mail
From: Ed L Cashin
············@yahoo.com (ab talebi) writes:

> when we want to comment out something we do it like this
>
> ;; this is comment
>
> but what if it is mre than one line do we have to comment each line?
>
> ; this
> ; is
> ; too
> ; complicated

It isn't hard to do using emacs' string-rectangle command.  Others
here probably know still faster ways.

--
--Ed Cashin                     integrit file-verification system:
  ·······@terry.uga.edu         http://integrit.sourceforge.net/

From: Steven M. Haflich
Ed L Cashin wrote:

> It isn't hard to do using emacs' string-rectangle command.  Others
> here probably know still faster ways.

M-x comment-region

Here's the Emacs documentation.  This function is defined for most
language modes (C, Java, Lisp, etc.) and operates similarly in all
of them:

 comment-region is an interactive compiled Lisp function.
 (comment-region BEG END &optional ARG)

 Comment or uncomment each line in the region.
 ith just C-u prefix arg, uncomment each line in region.
 Numeric prefix arg ARG means use ARG comment characters.
 If ARG is negative, delete that many comment characters instead.
 Comments are terminated on each line, even for syntax in which
 newline does not end the comment.  Blank lines do not get comments.
From: Ed L Cashin
"Steven M. Haflich" <·······@pacbell.net> writes:

> Ed L Cashin wrote:
>
> > It isn't hard to do using emacs' string-rectangle command.  Others
> > here probably know still faster ways.
>
> M-x comment-region

What do you know?  I'm used to using C-c C-c for that function, and
when it didn't work, I wrongly assumed it was a different command for
lisp modes.  Thanks.

From: Steven M. Haflich
Ed L Cashin wrote:

> > M-x comment-region
>
> What do you know?  I'm used to using C-c C-c for that function, and
> when it didn't work, I wrongly assumed it was a different command for
> lisp modes.  Thanks.

Fun things to know and tell:

 C-h b will pop up a buffer giving all the keybindings in the current
buffer, showing more-specialized (minor) modes first.

 C-h w will ask for a function name and tell you what keybinds if any
invoke that command.