From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: Flame wars on c.l.l: some interesting numbers
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo wrote:

>       Helpful  Discussion  Snappish  Off topic  Flame war  Recovery
> EN:     20         39          7         9         35/3        2
> JB:      1          9          2         7          8/3        2
> IRT:     3         12          1         3         23/2        0
> JFB:     1          3          0         1         19/1        0
>
> I think the numbers pretty much speak for themselves.

Your statistics misses an important point: How far people go during the
flame war, w.r.t. personal attacks. As far as I know, Naggum is the only
individual who publicized in this newsgroup a *call for murder* on another
participant of this newsgroup. For the record, this happened on 13 Dec 2000.

                   Bruno
From: Kenny Tilton
>  a *call for murder* on another
> participant of this newsgroup.

not fair. murder contracts get shopped after a steady, smooth
escalation. the vitriol is a continuous function. anyone who gets a
death threat has driven through a series of red lights of increasing
brightness and must be construed as a willing participant in the brawl.
We are not free to be not free. (Sarte)

Or as Linus observed after hearing Lucy bitch and moan about the
difficulties of building a sand castle, "I didn't know making sand
castles was obligatory". (Schulz)

kenny
clinisys