From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: CMUCL and mac OSX?
How nasty would it be to get CMUCL going on Mac OSX?

Are there any plans afoot already to make that happen?

thx,

kenny
clinisys

From: Christophe Rhodes
Subject: Re: CMUCL and mac OSX?

> How nasty would it be to get CMUCL going on Mac OSX?
>
> Are there any plans afoot already to make that happen?

Well, currently neither CMUCL nor SBCL (a CMUCL derivative) have a
working PowerPC backend, so it's relatively nasty. Eric Marsden,
Daniel Barlow and I are intermittently pushing on this, but it's slow
and tricky work; also, the port is initially targeted to LinuxPPC.

Some of the issues are documented in
<http://ww.telent.net/sbcl-internals/PPC>. The current status is that
we can execute Lisp code until we hit closures. I suspect that
assistance would be welcome...

Cheers,

Christophe
--
Jesus College, Cambridge, CB5 8BL                           +44 1223 510 299
http://www-jcsu.jesus.cam.ac.uk/~csr21/                  (defun pling-dollar
From: Kaelin Colclasure
If the interest is just getting a free (at least as in beer) Common
Lisp on OS X, a better starting point might be Digitool's
implementation. I know they recently open sourced their compiler for
the PowerPC, although I have not yet had a chance to chase this down
and try it out myself.

I have also heard that Franz is planning to support OS X with the next
major version of ACL. But not for free, of course... :-)

-- Kaelin
From: Dr. Edmund Weitz
Kaelin Colclasure <······@resilience.com> writes:

> If the interest is just getting a free (at least as in beer) Common
> Lisp on OS X, a better starting point might be Digitool's
> implementation. I know they recently open sourced their compiler for
> the PowerPC, although I have not yet had a chance to chase this down
> and try it out myself.
>
> I have also heard that Franz is planning to support OS X with the next
> major version of ACL. But not for free, of course... :-)
>
> -- Kaelin

For the record: The open-sourced version of MCL can be found at
<http://openmcl.clozure.com/>. It currently runs on LinuxPPC, but not
on OS X. Also, ACL 6.1 - which has been released a couple of weeks ago
- does support OS X already - they don't seem to offer a trial version
for this platform, though.

Apart from that, CLISP supports OS X and has been doing so for
months, and AFAIK the CVS version of ECLS is also almost there.

Edi.
From: Christian Lynbech

Kaelin> I know they recently open sourced their compiler for the
Kaelin> PowerPC, although I have not yet had a chance to chase this
Kaelin> down and try it out myself.

I haven't explored this myself, but I believe that it is the runtime
environment rather than the compiler that has been open sourced. Still
makes porting the thing to unfamiliar surroundings a heck of a lot
easier.

Christian Lynbech       | Ericsson Telebit, Skanderborgvej 232, DK-8260 Viby J
Phone: +45 8938 5244    | email: ·················@ted.ericsson.dk
Fax:   +45 8938 5101    | web:   www.ericsson.com
                                        - ·······@hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)
From: Christophe Rhodes
Christian Lynbech <·················@ted.ericsson.dk> writes:

> Kaelin> I know they recently open sourced their compiler for the
> Kaelin> PowerPC, although I have not yet had a chance to chase this
> Kaelin> down and try it out myself.
>
> I haven't explored this myself, but I believe that it is the runtime
> environment rather than the compiler that has been open sourced. Still
> makes porting the thing to unfamiliar surroundings a heck of a lot
> easier.

·····@apollo:~$ uname -a
Linux apollo 2.2.19 #1 Sat Sep 8 12:19:21 BST 2001 ppc unknown
·····@apollo:~$ openmcl
Welcome to OpenMCL Version (Beta: linux) 0.9!
? (lisp-implementation-type)
"OpenMCL"
? (lisp-implementation-version)
"Version (Beta: linux) 0.9"
? (defun fact (n) (if (= n 0) 1 (* n (fact (1- n)))))
FACT
? (compile 'fact)
FACT
NIL
NIL
? (disassemble 'fact)
L0
  (TWNEI NARGS 4)
  (MFLR LOC-PC)
  (BLA .SPSAVECONTEXTVSP)
  (:REGSAVE SAVE0 0)
  (VPUSH SAVE0)
  (MR SAVE0 ARG_Z)
[ ... ]

Looks like a compiler to me (don't forget that compile and
compile-file are part of the run-time environment...).

Now, whether you think that OpenMCL or SBCL is a better bet for an
immediate port to MacOS X is another question... SBCL (as part of its
joint history with CMUCL) has previously run on many architectures and
operating systems, including some BSD Unix variants; on the other
hand, the OpenMCL PowerPC backend is doubtless more mature than the
SBCL one...

Cheers,

Christophe
From: Christian Lynbech

Christophe> Looks like a compiler to me (don't forget that compile and
Christophe> compile-file are part of the run-time environment...).

Well, they could chosen to distribute source only for the runtime
environment and distribute the compiler as part of a binary only
image. Also the compiler need not be part of the runtime environment,
at least Allegro has the option to dump an image without compiler (you
need a bigger license if you want to redistribute applications
including the compiler).

However, looking into the tar file of openmcl-src-0.5.1 I can verify
that indeed they have opensourced also the compiler.