From: C.Hore
Subject: AM/FM/GIS & Workflow & Databases
Hi, does anyone have a recommendation for GIS software, preferably
open source and Lispy?  The application is facilities
management/mapping [AM/FM] for a public utility, so basic 2D
capabilities are all that is needed, e.g., locations of the
utility's physical network objects.  No need, at least immediately,
for fancy 3D features like what the environmental/land management
and military people use.  At the moment, I am looking at
GRASS GIS ( http://www.baylor.edu/grass/ )
which seems to have a wide following and ongoing development,
but it looks like you program it in C.  Is there
any Lispy alternative to GRASS?

Also, does anyone have suggestions for how to do "workflow"
applications in Lisp, especially with a database (e.g., PostgreSQL)
backend?  By workflow, I mean the online equivalent of
paper forms.  (A form gets created, passed or copied from one
department or person to another, possibly modified, things
happen as a result of approval, etc.)

Are there any existing Lisp "libraries" for building this kind
of software, or must it be built from scratch?

Finally, are there any good sources of information/guidance
for Lisp-over-database program design?  For example, what
do you do in Lisp and what do you do in the database.
Would you typically just make a row be a CLOS object.
And other questions along these lines.

Any pointers appreciated.