From: Rahul Jain
Subject: COLAG a new approach to programming
Hi,

I now have an updated conceptual introduction document with a complete
example.

 I have created a completely new approach to writing software called COLAG
(Conversational Oriented Learning And Growing software). The most unique
aspect of the software written using COLAG is that it can be 'told' about
new incremental information and behavior using asynchronous messages, and it
can then dynamically assimilate and display the new behavior. Further, it
can dynamically modify its behavior as a result of its execution.

The approach is based on a completely new concept of "conversation".
Essentially, the behavior of software (called 'entity' in the approach) is
specified as a set of conversations that can individually start depending on
state of common information, represented simply as XML, and update or
acquire new information as a result of their execution, which can then start
new conversations and so on. There are also no variables. Data is simply
represented as XML. The inspiration for the approach is rooted in the
observation of human behavioral processes.

XML is the base language used in the approach. In fact, the entity
(software) created using COLAG is a well-formed XML document. This means
that the resultant software is platform independent. The approach also has
complete integration with Object technology and allows use of objects as in
Object Oriented Programming.

The complete specification can be found at colag.com.

Please give it a try. It is a very unique approach. All comments are
welcome.

Rahul Jain

·····@colag.com

From: Samir Sekkat
Subject: Re: COLAG a new approach to programming
In article <·························@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com>,
·····@colag.com says...
> The complete specification can be found at colag.com.

Why are you building your system with XML? (beside the hype!)

Why do not just extend an existing language like Common Lisp (just an
example :-)) with your ideas? Languages like Common Lisp are made for
that! You would be _much_ faster to implement your ideas. And _your_
language would be much more powerful. And if you want to have an XML
interface you can build it later.

If you are interested about what lisp people think about XML, just give
a look to the archive of this newsgroup (I havent the right link here).

Samir
From: Kenny Tilton
Looks like the binary application is an interpreter for code expressed
as XML data. Lispers are accustomed to treating code as data, but for
other languages such as Java this is a nice advance. And the XML being
x-platform as well as text is good for web applications--a relatively
stable Java applet dancing to the tune of more easily maintained XML
scripts. Not sure I would like to program in XML though.

kenny
clinisys