From: ···@uol.com.br
Subject: newbie having hard time installing ILISP
Dear friends-

	Trying to install ILISP (BTW, why is M-x run-lisp _so_ bad?), since
it's pretty obvious lispers love it.
	But I'm having a hard time figuring out even _which_ tarball I'm to d/load
from <http://ilisp.cons.org/ftp-area/cmucl/release>.
	The 18a, the 18b, 18c?
	(Why don't they put up a web page with a _minimum_ of info?)
	BTW, I'm a debian potato-head.
	Thanks for your help
	Regs,
	HL

From: Thomas F. Burdick
Subject: Re: newbie having hard time installing ILISP
···@uol.com.br writes:

> Dear friends-
>
> 	Trying to install ILISP (BTW, why is M-x run-lisp _so_ bad?),

Probably because all the potential development that could have gone
into inferior-lisp goes instead to ILISP.

> since it's pretty obvious lispers love it.
> 	But I'm having a hard time figuring out even _which_ tarball
> I'm to d/load from <http://ilisp.cons.org/ftp-area/cmucl/release>.
> 	The 18a, the 18b, 18c?
> 	(Why don't they put up a web page with a _minimum_ of info?)

Yikes, you're lookinhg in the CMUCL release directory.  That's not
where ILISP lives.

> 	BTW, I'm a debian potato-head.

In that case, I'd reccomend the following:

 # apt-get install cmucl cmucl-normal ilisp

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |
From: Bruce Hoult
In article <···············@conquest.OCF.Berkeley.EDU>,
···@conquest.OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Thomas F. Burdick) wrote:

> > 	BTW, I'm a debian potato-head.
>
> In that case, I'd reccomend the following:
>
>  # apt-get install cmucl cmucl-normal ilisp

And for the rest of us?  (e.g. SuSE)
From: ········@acm.org
Bruce Hoult <·····@hoult.org> writes:
> In article <···············@conquest.OCF.Berkeley.EDU>,
> ···@conquest.OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Thomas F. Burdick) wrote:
> > > 	BTW, I'm a debian potato-head.
> >
> > In that case, I'd reccomend the following:
> >
> >  # apt-get install cmucl cmucl-normal ilisp
>
> And for the rest of us?  (e.g. SuSE)

The (tiny) population of people that are skilled at building portable
RPMs (e.g. - that will run across multiple Linux distributions that
use RPM) that are simultaneously also skilled at configuring cmucl
(again vanishingly tiny) may be a pair of sets that do not have any
overlap.

Pray that alien can do a satisfactory "translation," and be prepared
for there being a significant probability that it won't work, and that
your only useful choice is "apt-get install cmucl cmucl-normal ilisp."
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string ········@" "enworbbc"))
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/x.html
From: Thomas F. Burdick
········@acm.org writes:

> Bruce Hoult <·····@hoult.org> writes:
> > >
> > > In that case, I'd reccomend the following:
> > >
> > >  # apt-get install cmucl cmucl-normal ilisp
> >
> > And for the rest of us?  (e.g. SuSE)

For the rest, go find the installation instructions for CMUCL, and
install 18c from the tarball.  Do it in that order, or you might be
unpleasantly surprised that you're supposed to untar it directly into
/usr/local, or someplace similar.  It's really quite easy, and I've
done it a number of times.  Then, get the ILISP tarball, and follow
the installation instructions in there.  It's a bit more of a pain in
the butt, but that's Emacs for you, and it's not too bad.

> The (tiny) population of people that are skilled at building portable
> RPMs (e.g. - that will run across multiple Linux distributions that
> use RPM) that are simultaneously also skilled at configuring cmucl
> (again vanishingly tiny) may be a pair of sets that do not have any
> overlap.
>
> Pray that alien can do a satisfactory "translation," and be prepared
> for there being a significant probability that it won't work, and that
> your only useful choice is "apt-get install cmucl cmucl-normal ilisp."

Oh, it's nowhere near as bleak as that.  I don't have any experience
with suse, but alien worked perfectly satisfactorily for me under
redhat.  Under redhat and slackware, the tarballs worked just fine.
Sure it's more difficult than using apt, but that's what it's like
using a lot of things in non-debian distros -- it's hardly impossible.

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |
From: Dr. Edmund Weitz
Bruce Hoult <·····@hoult.org> writes:

> In article <···············@conquest.OCF.Berkeley.EDU>,
> ···@conquest.OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Thomas F. Burdick) wrote:
>
> > > 	BTW, I'm a debian potato-head.
> >
> > In that case, I'd reccomend the following:
> >
> >  # apt-get install cmucl cmucl-normal ilisp
>
> And for the rest of us?  (e.g. SuSE)

Having used SuSE myself I have to say: If it isn't included with their
distribution (like CMUCL and ILISP), you're on your own. Simple
RPM-based upgrades are only offered if there are security problems -
otherwise you'll have to buy the next SuSE CD/DVD to get newer
versions of your software. If SuSE doesn't feel like adding your
favorite Lisp implementation to their pool of roughly 7,000 programs,
you have to build and/or install it yourself. See
<http://www.cons.org/cmucl/install.html> on how to do this for
CMUCL. ILISP installation is rather straightforward and described in
the documentation that comes with the package.

Edi.

PS: This is not intented to start a distribution flamewar. I have used
SuSE and Mandrake for years 'cause I always found that they were
fairly easy to install on new hardware (Laptops) and I didn't want to
fight with device drivers and such. I have to admit that - once you
succeded installing it - Debian is a much better choice if you want to
upgrade your software rather often. This is obviously due to the fact
that there are so many volunteers and that Debian doesn't need their
users to buy their next CD/DVD.
From: Bruce Hoult
In article <··············@bird.agharta.de>, ···@agharta.de (Dr. Edmund
Weitz) wrote:

> > And for the rest of us?  (e.g. SuSE)
>
> Having used SuSE myself I have to say: If it isn't included with their
> distribution (like CMUCL and ILISP), you're on your own. Simple
> RPM-based upgrades are only offered if there are security problems -
> otherwise you'll have to buy the next SuSE CD/DVD to get newer
> versions of your software. If SuSE doesn't feel like adding your
> favorite Lisp implementation to their pool of roughly 7,000 programs,
> you have to build and/or install it yourself. See
> <http://www.cons.org/cmucl/install.html> on how to do this for
> CMUCL. ILISP installation is rather straightforward and described in
> the documentation that comes with the package.

In fact I didn't have an trouble getting to CMUCL 18c to install on
SuSE, but it was long enough ago that I forget the details.

I'll give ILISP a try.

-- Bruce
From: ···@uol.com.br
>> 	BTW, I'm a debian potato-head.
>
> In that case, I'd reccomend the following:
>
>  # apt-get install cmucl cmucl-normal ilisp

	Package ilisp "has no installation candidate", says the system.
	:-(
	Now, where's that friggin' mantainer?

	HL
From: Thomas F. Burdick
···@uol.com.br writes:

> >> 	BTW, I'm a debian potato-head.
> >
> > In that case, I'd reccomend the following:
> >
> >  # apt-get install cmucl cmucl-normal ilisp
> >

> 	Package ilisp "has no installation candidate", says the system.
> 	:-(
> 	Now, where's that friggin' mantainer?

My bad, it's only in Woody and Sid.  You should be able to just
download the Woody package from the Debian website, and install it
with dpkg, because both Woody and Potato's emacs20 package is 20.7

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |
From: Brian P Templeton
···@conquest.OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Thomas F. Burdick) writes:

> ···@uol.com.br writes:
>
>> Dear friends-
>>
>> 	Trying to install ILISP (BTW, why is M-x run-lisp _so_ bad?),
>
> Probably because all the potential development that could have gone
> into inferior-lisp goes instead to ILISP.
>
>> since it's pretty obvious lispers love it.
>> 	But I'm having a hard time figuring out even _which_ tarball
>> I'm to d/load from <http://ilisp.cons.org/ftp-area/cmucl/release>.
>> 	The 18a, the 18b, 18c?
>> 	(Why don't they put up a web page with a _minimum_ of info?)
>
> Yikes, you're lookinhg in the CMUCL release directory.  That's not
> where ILISP lives.
>
>> 	BTW, I'm a debian potato-head.
>
> In that case, I'd reccomend the following:
>
>  # apt-get install cmucl cmucl-normal ilisp

That doesn't work for debian potato-heads with c-l-c, unless they
upgrade to unstable :(.

--
BPT <···@tunes.org>	    		/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
backronym for Linux:			\ / No HTML or RTF in mail