From: Julian St.
Subject: Emacs-like software?
Hello,

I recently got used to (X)Emacs and am now wondering, whether there is
more of software that uses a Lisp dialect to be customized at
run-time. The only example I could find was the Generic Window
Manager, but it dates back about 6 years.

Regards,
Julian St.

From: Dr. Edmund Weitz
Subject: Re: Emacs-like software?
·········@gmx.net (Julian St.) writes:

> Hello,
>
> I recently got used to (X)Emacs and am now wondering, whether there
> is more of software that uses a Lisp dialect to be customized at
> run-time. The only example I could find was the Generic Window
> Manager, but it dates back about 6 years.
>
> Regards,
> Julian St.

The most prominent example (apart from Emacs) is probably AutoCAD
<http://www.autodesk.com/autocad> which like Emacs has its own Lisp
dialect, AutoLISP.

Sawfish, the default window manager for Gnome, uses librep
<http://librep.sourceforge.net/> as an extension language.

Very often Scheme, a remote relative of Lisp, is used as an extension
language - probably because it's fairly easy to implement. Examples
include Script-Fu, the scripting language of the Gimp
<http://www.gimp.org/>, the Scsh Scheme Shell
<http://www.swiss.ai.mit.edu/ftpdir/scsh/>, and the GUILE project
<http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/guile.html>.

Edi.
From: Friedrich Dominicus
···@agharta.de (Dr. Edmund Weitz) writes:

> Sawfish, the default window manager for Gnome, uses librep
> <http://librep.sourceforge.net/> as an extension language.
May I add SCWM too it's Scheme and I guess I run into danger to start
the next thread about Schems is (isn'nt) a Lisp...

Regards
Friedrich
From: Dr. Edmund Weitz
Friedrich Dominicus <·····@q-software-solutions.com> writes:

> ···@agharta.de (Dr. Edmund Weitz) writes:
>
> > Sawfish, the default window manager for Gnome, uses librep
> > <http://librep.sourceforge.net/> as an extension language.
> May I add SCWM too it's Scheme and I guess I run into danger to
> start the next thread about Schems is (isn'nt) a Lisp...

Oh, yeah, and there's Eclipse, a rather new window manager written in
Common Lisp: <http://dept-info.labri.u-bordeaux.fr/~strandh/>.

Edi.
From: Julian St.
···@agharta.de (Dr. Edmund Weitz) writes:

> Friedrich Dominicus <·····@q-software-solutions.com> writes:
>
> > ···@agharta.de (Dr. Edmund Weitz) writes:
> >
> > > Sawfish, the default window manager for Gnome, uses librep
> > > <http://librep.sourceforge.net/> as an extension language.
> > May I add SCWM too it's Scheme and I guess I run into danger to
> > start the next thread about Schems is (isn'nt) a Lisp...
>
> Oh, yeah, and there's Eclipse, a rather new window manager written in
> Common Lisp: <http://dept-info.labri.u-bordeaux.fr/~strandh/>.
>
> Edi.

Sorry, but I am not familiar with French. I looked for an English
page, but did not succeed. Can you help me out with one?

Regards,
Julian St.
From: Thomas F. Burdick
·········@gmx.net (Julian St.) writes:

> ···@agharta.de (Dr. Edmund Weitz) writes:
>
> > Friedrich Dominicus <·····@q-software-solutions.com> writes:

> > > May I add SCWM too it's Scheme and I guess I run into danger to
> > > start the next thread about Schems is (isn'nt) a Lisp...
> >
> > Oh, yeah, and there's Eclipse, a rather new window manager written in
> > Common Lisp: <http://dept-info.labri.u-bordeaux.fr/~strandh/>.
> >
> > Edi.
>
> Sorry, but I am not familiar with French. I looked for an English
> page, but did not succeed. Can you help me out with one?

You didn't look very hard/well, the link's at the top of the page :)

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |
From: Julian St.
···@conquest.OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Thomas F. Burdick) writes:

[...]

> > Sorry, but I am not familiar with French. I looked for an English
> > page, but did not succeed. Can you help me out with one?
>
> You didn't look very hard/well, the link's at the top of the page :)

[...]

I have to apologise. I just scrolled down to fast. ;) Thanks again.

Regards,
Julian St.