From: Gene Michael Stover
Subject: ANN: Yadda Lambda, Lisp magazine
ANNOUNCING YADDA LAMBDA, a magazine for Lisp programmers
(Yadda Lambda is coming...)

- What is Yadda Lambda?

     Yadda Lambda is an online, free magazine for Lisp
     programmers.  That is, it's for programmers who use Lisp
     at work or at play.

- When?

     The first issue will be published on or about 1 April
     2002, & new issues will be published about fortnightly
     after that.

- Who will write the articles?

     Anyone who has something to say about Lisp or in Lisp!

     I'm soliciting articles.  I'm writing two or three for
     the first issue, but I expect people won't want to read
     just what I have to say.

     If you're interested in writing (and I hope you are),
     please read Yadda Lambda's guidelines for authors at
     (http://lisp-p.org/for-authors.html).  The first issue
     will be in April, so if you want to write, start today!

- What's the URL?

     http://lisp-p.org/

     As of Friday, 22 February 2002, the site is under
     construction.  It contains links to guidelines for
     authors & to this announcement.  And a hit counter to
     help me predict interest.

- If it's free, who pays for it?  Advertising?

     Yadda Lambda is financed by me (Gene Michael Stover) who
     will be publishing & editing the magazine as a hobby,
     mostly so I can read the articles in it.  (Well, okay.
     I guess I should admit that it's also so I can publish
     my own articles in it.)

- Why did you call it "Yadda Lambda"?

     The "lambda" is probably obvious to Lisp programmers.

     The "yadda" was originally an inside joke (and not an
     extremely funny one).  I've since read hearsay that
     yadda or yabba or some similar word is Yiddish or
     Australian(?!?) slang for "talk".  If true, "yadda
     lambda" suggests "talk about lisp"--an appropriate title
     if I ever heard one.  And it kind of grows on you.
     (Repeat after me: "yadda lambda... yadda lambda... yadda
     lambda...".)

---
Gene Michael Stover
(lisp-p)

From: Fernando Rodr�guez
Subject: Re: ANN: Yadda Lambda, Lisp magazine
On Sat, 23 Feb 2002 08:04:01 GMT, Gene Michael Stover <········@gte.net>
wrote:

> http://lisp-p.org/

Excellent idea!  Damn it, even the Perl laborers have their magazine! Good
luck. :-)

----
Fernando Rodr�guez
frr at wanadoo dot es
-------
From: Thaddeus L Olczyk
<········@gte.net> wrote:

> I've since read hearsay that
>     yadda or yabba or some similar word is Yiddish or
>     Australian(?!?) slang for "talk".  If true, "yadda
>     lambda" suggests "talk about lisp"--an appropriate title
>     if I ever heard one.  And it kind of grows on you.
>     (Repeat after me: "yadda lambda... yadda lambda... yadda
>     lambda...".)
The phrase is yadda, yadda, yadda like etc etc etc.
For that reason, even though I like the idea I hate the name.
From: Erik Naggum
* ······@interaccess.com (Thaddeus L Olczyk)
| The phrase is yadda, yadda, yadda like etc etc etc.

  I thought "yadda, yadda, yadda" meant "blah, blah, blah".

| For that reason, even though I like the idea I hate the name.

  I quite agree.  I think lisp-p.org is good, though.

///
--
  In a fight against something, the fight has value, victory has none.
  In a fight for something, the fight is a loss, victory merely relief.
From: Dr. Edmund Weitz
Erik Naggum <····@naggum.net> writes:

> * ······@interaccess.com (Thaddeus L Olczyk)
> | The phrase is yadda, yadda, yadda like etc etc etc.
>
>   I thought "yadda, yadda, yadda" meant "blah, blah, blah".

I always thought it originated in a Seinfeld episode meaning exactly
that - "blah, blah, blah".

Edi.

--

Dr. Edmund Weitz
Hamburg

The Common Lisp Cookbook
<http://cl-cookbook.sourceforge.net/>
From: IPmonger
···@agharta.de (Dr. Edmund Weitz) writes:

> Erik Naggum <····@naggum.net> writes:
>
>> * ······@interaccess.com (Thaddeus L Olczyk)
>> | The phrase is yadda, yadda, yadda like etc etc etc.
>>
>>   I thought "yadda, yadda, yadda" meant "blah, blah, blah".
>
> I always thought it originated in a Seinfeld episode meaning exactly
> that - "blah, blah, blah".

    I don't know for sure what the origins are, but I *do* know that it
  predates Seinfeld.  I used it frequently as a young child in the
  mid-1970s.  I have always know it to have the negative connotation of
  "blah, blah, blah".  It seems like a bad choice for a name of a Lisp
  magazine, unless you're trying to be ironic.   But even that would
  seem more appropriate for, say, SmallTalk.  :-)

-jon
--
------------------
Jon Allen Boone
From: Chris Jones
IPmonger <········@delamancha.org> writes:

[...]

			 It seems like a bad choice for a name of a Lisp
    magazine, unless you're trying to be ironic.

When I read the announcement of the magazine, I did see the request for
articles, but in my haste I must have missed the part where we were
asked to vote on the name.  Oh, well, for the record, I like Yadda
Lambda as a name.
From: Eric Moss
"Dr. Edmund Weitz" wrote:

> Erik Naggum <····@naggum.net> writes:
>
> > * ······@interaccess.com (Thaddeus L Olczyk)
> > | The phrase is yadda, yadda, yadda like etc etc etc.
> >
> >   I thought "yadda, yadda, yadda" meant "blah, blah, blah".
>
> I always thought it originated in a Seinfeld episode meaning exactly
> that - "blah, blah, blah".

My I remind our European friends that, contrary to popular opinion, not
everything in America originated on Seinfeld........ some came from
Friends and Baywatch. ;)

Eric
From: Christopher Browne
Eric Moss <········@alltel.net> wrote:
> "Dr. Edmund Weitz" wrote:
>> Erik Naggum <····@naggum.net> writes:
>>> * ······@interaccess.com (Thaddeus L Olczyk)

>>>   I thought "yadda, yadda, yadda" meant "blah, blah, blah".

>> I always thought it originated in a Seinfeld episode meaning
>> exactly that - "blah, blah, blah".

> My I remind our European friends that, contrary to popular opinion, not
> everything in America originated on Seinfeld........ some came from
> Friends and Baywatch. ;)

My one Baywatch story is that when I vacationed in Hawaii, I had a few
hours of layover in Honolulu (and discovered, based on the
_horrendous_ continuous set of hotel towers, just how _glad_ I was
that a lack of hotel space pushed me to the MUCH MUCH nicer Kawaii
island...), wandered over to Waikiki, grabbed sushi, and then took a
"shared limo" back.

I was a little early for the "a scheduled+shared limo," and had a nice
bit of a chat with the driver.  Limo drivers are human beings, too.
:-)

Apparently David Hasselhoff's wife had two interesting qualities:
 -> Packed stupendous quantities of luggage, and
 -> Didn't tip limo drivers worth beans.

On the one hand, I have a hard time believing that they'd be able to
call Baywatch "TV drama," and have it play for umpteen years and have
multiple successor shows.  On the other hand...  Pamela Anderson ...
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string ···········@" "enworbbc"))
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/multiplexor.html
From: Gareth McCaughan
Christopher Browne wrote:

> Apparently David Hasselhoff's wife had two interesting qualities:
>  -> Packed stupendous quantities of luggage, and
>  -> Didn't tip limo drivers worth beans.

Limo beans?

--
Gareth McCaughan  ················@pobox.com
.sig under construc
From: mcreatch
Eric Moss <········@alltel.net> wrote:

>My I remind our European friends that, contrary to popular opinion, not
>everything in America originated on Seinfeld........ some came from
>Friends and Baywatch. ;)

Yes, but that is classified as the pre-historic period. :-)
From: Espen Vestre
Eric Moss <········@alltel.net> writes:

> My I remind our European friends that, contrary to popular opinion, not
> everything in America originated on Seinfeld........ some came from
> Friends and Baywatch. ;)

Hey, don't crush our faith in the US ;-)
--
  (espen)
From: Marco Antoniotti
Eric Moss <········@alltel.net> writes:

> "Dr. Edmund Weitz" wrote:
> >
> > Erik Naggum <····@naggum.net> writes:
> >
> > > * ······@interaccess.com (Thaddeus L Olczyk)
> > >
> > >   I thought "yadda, yadda, yadda" meant "blah, blah, blah".
> >
> > I always thought it originated in a Seinfeld episode meaning exactly
> > that - "blah, blah, blah".
>
> My I remind our European friends that, contrary to popular opinion, not
> everything in America originated on Seinfeld........ some came from
> Friends and Baywatch. ;)

Yeah.  Some Soap Opera mappazze originated in the US as well :)

Cheers

719 Broadway 12th Floor                 fax  +1 - 212 - 995 4122
                    "Hello New York! We'll do what we can!"
                           Bill Murray in `Ghostbusters'.
From: Xah Lee
Dear lispers,

I concur with the generic sentiment that yadda yadda is a hateful
name. To me, it connotes sloppiness, which the spirit of all
functional languages are against.  (to those unix/c/Perl brain-washed
morons, please understand that the term "sloppiness" does not mean
flexible, relaxed, fun loving, or very cool)

However, i do not think the term Lambda should be part of the name
either, for two reasons. Reason one is that lambda is too archaic for
a name. In the old days, abstruse Greek may signify knowledge and awe,
but in the modern days obscureness simply beget no attention. Unless
your publication is intended for few of the world-class scholars, i'd
think Lambda doesn't fit.

In my first reason, i'm pro-functional-programing thus support your
magazine. My second reason is from the standpoint of an advocate of
pure functional languages, thus anti-lisp. Here it is, in an essay
format.

The lambda character, always struck an awe in me, as with other
mathematical symbols. In my mind, i imagine that those obscure math
symbolism are etched in stone by god. A salient example is the book
cover _Discrete Mathematics_ by Ronald Graham et al. See it here:
 <http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0201558025.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg>
Here we see the summation sign etched in stone. The summation sign
happens to be my favorite math symbol.  (chosen as my website logo:
<http://xahlee.org/Icons_dir/icon_sum.gif>)

These symbols are not to be trifled with. If any one puff in as much
half a snicker, i wish god strike a thunder upon their disrespect.

The Greek lambda symbol is used to in a branch of
logic called lambda calculus,
<http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LambdaCalculus.html> The theories of
lambda calculus is what functional languages are based on, thus many
functional languages's logo features the lambda. Here are a few
samplings of the lambda logo:

MIT Scheme's logo features a recursive shield with lambda
http://www.swiss.ai.mit.edu/projects/scheme/
(btw, it features the equation:
(Y F) = (F (Y F))
does anyone know what it means exactly or origin?
)

Schemer.org's logo has a modernized look.
It is a simple lambda inside an O figure.
http://www.schemers.org/

PLT Scheme logo, notable is the red/white/blue color scheme.
http://www.plt-scheme.org/

MzScheme logo features a lambda besides a Chinese character that means
written language.
http://www.cs.rice.edu/CS/PLT/packages/mzscheme/

Common Lisp HTTP server logo. (middle)
http://www.ai.mit.edu/projects/iiip/doc/cl-http/home-page.html

Scheme shell scsh logo is a lamba inside a bivalve sea shell,
perhaps most beautiful of the bunch:
http://www.scsh.net/

Haskell language logo is a plain lambda:
http://haskell.org/

The Haskell interpreter Hugs98 features a 3D lambda with projected
shadow
http://www.haskell.org/hugs/

Yale Haskell project used a logo that features
 symbols in lambda calculus including the lambda,
and also a bullfrog head. Quite funny and beautiful.
(the bullfrog logo origin is explained at the bottom.
i.e. that of parody to Yale's bulldog logo)
http://web.archive.org/web/20000301023909/http://www.cs.yale.edu/haskell/yale-fp.html
(btw, what does the _|_ symbol mean?)

The book cover
Structure & Interpretation of Computer Programs by
Abelson & Sussman, features a wizard and witch talking
with prominent lambda, and a monster foot of the table showing:
http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/sicp-cover.jpg

I love these lambda-featuring logos. However, i have a complaint.  As
most of you know, lisp languages are not purely functional
languages. Subroutines in lisps easily have side-effects, and
sometimes non-functional programing methodologies such as OOP are
actually encouraged in lisp. As most of you know, the lambda symbol
chosen by functional languages is to signify no side-effects. In this
respect, i find the lisp languages not totally deserving the use of
lambda in their logo. As i have expressed before, mathematical symbols
are not to be trifled with, and the Schemers has tainted my
mathematics, strickly speaking.

Likewise, i felt that Common Lisp magazine do not deserve using the
term lambda in its title.

Although i have these minor objections with lispers using the lambda
symbol, but overall i think the lispers and i share a more important
common goal. That is, to kill all imperative programing ignoramuses of
the world. Once the unix and c and perl and otherwise idiots are all
dead, then i'll formally raise my objection about Lisper's unfit
borrowing of the math symbol and term lambda.

(btw, i have no problem with traditional or imperative languages or
programers per se, but i do have problem with ignorance. In today's
world, imperative language programers are such not because they prefer
such methodology, but because they are utterly ignorant.)

--

(I started to casually collect computer related logos a year ago.
If you know other lambda logo, please let me know.

 Xah
 ···@xahlee.org
 http://xahlee.org/PageTwo_dir/more.html

From: mcreatch
Erik Naggum <····@naggum.net> wrote:

>* ······@interaccess.com (Thaddeus L Olczyk)
>| The phrase is yadda, yadda, yadda like etc etc etc.
>
>  I thought "yadda, yadda, yadda" meant "blah, blah, blah".

Stupid name. Sounds sophomorish.
Good idea to have a lisp magazine though.
Why not just call it something obvious like The Lisp Journal .

Yadda might seem funny for a day or two.
But imagine having to look at the name every week.

Imagine telling a non lisper that you read it in the Lisp Journal as
opposed to in Yadda Lambda.

In any case, in the real world (TM) Lamda is a gay rights symbol
see:

http://www.lambda.org/
 http://www.lambda.org/Symbols.htm
http://www.lambdalegal.org/cgi-bin/iowa/index.html
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/scotts/ftp/bulgarians/lambda.html
http://www.enqueue.com/ria/miscellaneous.html
From: mcreatch
Subject: The Lisp Journal ( was Re: ANN: Yadda Lambda, Lisp magazine)
>* ······@interaccess.com (Thaddeus L Olczyk)
>| The phrase is yadda, yadda, yadda like etc etc etc.

 Sounds sophomorish.
Good idea to have a lisp magazine though.
Why not just call it something obvious like The Lisp Journal .

" Yadda Lambda" might seem funny for a day or two.
But imagine having to look at the name every week.

Imagine telling a non lisper that you read it in the Lisp Journal as
opposed to in Yadda Lambda.

In any case, in the real world (TM) Lamda is a gay rights symbol
see:
http://www.lambda.org/
 http://www.lambda.org/Symbols.htm
http://www.lambdalegal.org/cgi-bin/iowa/index.html
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/scotts/ftp/bulgarians/lambda.html
http://www.enqueue.com/ria/miscellaneous.html

Yadda Lambda might get mistaken for a Yiddish Gay Rights movement !
From: Marvin D. Hernandez
> In any case, in the real world (TM) Lamda is a gay rights symbol
> see:
> http://www.lambda.org/
>  http://www.lambda.org/Symbols.htm
> http://www.lambdalegal.org/cgi-bin/iowa/index.html
> http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/scotts/ftp/bulgarians/lambda.html
> http://www.enqueue.com/ria/miscellaneous.html
>
> Yadda Lambda might get mistaken for a Yiddish Gay Rights movement !

So what?  Lambda was a symbol used for other things well before the gay and
lesbian movement adopted it.
From: ···@healy.washington.dc.us

    Thaddeus> On Sat, 23 Feb 2002 08:04:01 GMT, Gene Michael Stover
    Thaddeus> <········@gte.net> wrote:

    >> I've since read hearsay that
    >> yadda or yabba or some similar word is Yiddish or
    >> Australian(?!?) slang for "talk".  If true, "yadda
    >> lambda" suggests "talk about lisp"--an appropriate title
    >> if I ever heard one.  And it kind of grows on you.
    >> (Repeat after me: "yadda lambda... yadda lambda... yadda
    >> lambda...".)
    Thaddeus> The phrase is yadda, yadda, yadda like etc etc etc.
    Thaddeus> For that reason, even though I like the idea I hate the name.

How about "Lisp pointers", or does ACM (still) own that name?  The
name was a bit of a puzzle to me, however, as I always thought of Lisp
as _not_ dealing with pointers.  Anyway, if the intent is to make
something like that magazine, I'm looking forward to it.

--
Liam Healy
From: Tim Moore
On 24 Feb 2002 14:41:51 -0500, ···@healy.washington.dc.us
 <···@healy.washington.dc.us> wrote:

>    Thaddeus> On Sat, 23 Feb 2002 08:04:01 GMT, Gene Michael Stover
>    Thaddeus> <········@gte.net> wrote:
>
>    >> I've since read hearsay that
>    >> yadda or yabba or some similar word is Yiddish or
>    >> Australian(?!?) slang for "talk".  If true, "yadda
>    >> lambda" suggests "talk about lisp"--an appropriate title
>    >> if I ever heard one.  And it kind of grows on you.
>    >> (Repeat after me: "yadda lambda... yadda lambda... yadda
>    >> lambda...".)
>    Thaddeus> The phrase is yadda, yadda, yadda like etc etc etc.
>    Thaddeus> For that reason, even though I like the idea I hate the name.
>

>How about "Lisp pointers", or does ACM (still) own that name?  The
>name was a bit of a puzzle to me, however, as I always thought of Lisp
>as _not_ dealing with pointers.  Anyway, if the intent is to make
>something like that magazine, I'm looking forward to it.

How about letting the person who showed the initiative to do this call it
whatever the hell he wants?

Tim
From: Erik Naggum
* ······@sea-tmoore-l.dotcast.com (Tim Moore)
| How about letting the person who showed the initiative to do this call it
| whatever the hell he wants?

  Sure, but perhaps those who would like to contribute to it would like to
  be a little proud of their work and where it has been published, too?

///
From: Tim Moore
On Sun, 24 Feb 2002 21:57:46 GMT, Erik Naggum <····@naggum.net> wrote:
>* ······@sea-tmoore-l.dotcast.com (Tim Moore)
>| How about letting the person who showed the initiative to do this call it
>| whatever the hell he wants?
>
>  Sure, but perhaps those who would like to contribute to it would like to
>  be a little proud of their work and where it has been published, too?

Sure, but in typical c.l.l. fashion the people complaining about the name,
with the possible exception of yourself, don't seem to be the ones who would
contribute articles whatever the name.
From: Kent M Pitman
······@sea-tmoore-l.dotcast.com (Tim Moore) writes:

> On Sun, 24 Feb 2002 21:57:46 GMT, Erik Naggum <····@naggum.net> wrote:
> >* ······@sea-tmoore-l.dotcast.com (Tim Moore)
> >| How about letting the person who showed the initiative to do this call it
> >| whatever the hell he wants?
> >
> >  Sure, but perhaps those who would like to contribute to it would like to
> >  be a little proud of their work and where it has been published, too?
> >
> Sure, but in typical c.l.l. fashion the people complaining about the name,
> with the possible exception of yourself, don't seem to be the ones who would
> contribute articles whatever the name.

There's a big difference between "complaining" about the name and
offering constructive criticism that might either have an effect on
circulation or attracting authors.

Whoever does a publication of this kind is taking the risk and is
entitled to the last say.  But at the same time, Lisp Pointers suffered
both from too few subscribers to make it economical for ACM and from too
few articles to get issues out regularly.  Was that due to its title?
Surely not.  But does it mean that a magazine about Lisp could realistically
expect an uphill battle getting enough submissions?  It's something worth
considering, even if the ultimate answer is no.

And while I personally think any old name is fine for me, I have to
agree with those who've raised issues about "Yadda" (which the
Seinfeld TV show has strongly poisoned in the US, to be part of "yadda
yadda yadda" and to mean "mindless jabber") and about the term
"Lambda" (which many people outside of Lisp don't associate as much
with Lisp as they do with the "gay" movement. Even the word "Lisp"
itself has a potential confusion factor for outsiders.

The real question isn't "are these words charged" but "does that matter".
If the goal of the magazine is to address people already in the community,
the name doesn't matter much.  If it's an outreach magazine, then picking
a name that sounds more like the "generic" topic of interest might have a
better effect.

Whatever you think about any of these considerations, I think it is
naive to think the name choice will have no effect at all.  There
might be a question of whose input is the right input to listen to,
but it seems unlikely to me that the right answer in this heading is
"you cannot possibly affect readership by a good name choice".  So if
people offer advice (which no one is obliged to take), it doesn't seem
mean-spirited to me.

JMO.
From: Tim Moore
On Mon, 25 Feb 2002 02:57:05 GMT, Kent M Pitman <······@world.std.com> wrote:

>And while I personally think any old name is fine for me, I have to
>agree with those who've raised issues about "Yadda" (which the
>Seinfeld TV show has strongly poisoned in the US, to be part of "yadda
>yadda yadda" and to mean "mindless jabber") and about the term
>"Lambda" (which many people outside of Lisp don't associate as much
>with Lisp as they do with the "gay" movement. Even the word "Lisp"
>itself has a potential confusion factor for outsiders.

To be honest, I like the name.  I'm a fan of "Seinfeld" and I've
always felt the confusion between the "Lambda" Lisp movement and the
"Lambda" gay rights movement to be somewhat amusing.  That is probably
the motivation for my outburst against those complaining (and I do see
much complaining and little constructive criticism) about the name.

>The real question isn't "are these words charged" but "does that matter".
>If the goal of the magazine is to address people already in the community,
>the name doesn't matter much.  If it's an outreach magazine, then picking
>a name that sounds more like the "generic" topic of interest might have a
>better effect.

It appears to be a very personal, low budget effort.  In these days of
Web search engines, I don't think the name is any more of a
disadvantage for outreach then say "www.alu.org" or
"ww.telent.net/cliki".

>Whatever you think about any of these considerations, I think it is
>naive to think the name choice will have no effect at all.  There
>might be a question of whose input is the right input to listen to,
>but it seems unlikely to me that the right answer in this heading is
>"you cannot possibly affect readership by a good name choice".  So if
>people offer advice (which no one is obliged to take), it doesn't seem
>mean-spirited to me.

I didn't mean to imply that people were being mean-spirited, merely
that they were directing energy in an unproductive avenue.  Having
said that, I promise not to say more about it until I've contributed
something, or decided not to :)

Tim
From: Thomas F. Burdick

> Even the word "Lisp" itself has a potential confusion factor for
> outsiders.

I got in a profoundly boring conversation about speech impediments
with someone who saw what I was reading, because of this; she wondered
why there would be an ANSI standard for "common lisps", which was
amusing, I have to say.

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |
From: Kenny Tilton
Tim Moore wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Feb 2002 21:57:46 GMT, Erik Naggum <····@naggum.net> wrote:
> >* ······@sea-tmoore-l.dotcast.com (Tim Moore)
> >| How about letting the person who showed the initiative to do this call it
> >| whatever the hell he wants?
> >
> >  Sure, but perhaps those who would like to contribute to it would like to
> >  be a little proud of their work and where it has been published, too?
> >
> Sure, but in typical c.l.l. fashion the people complaining about the name,

Bingo. This is classic c.l.l.: make a contrib, then endure a
hundred-article thread about its name, near zero articles on the
substance. This is one NG that does not subscribe to "a rose by any
other name...". That's OK, as a programmer I am pretty compulsive about
names.

OTOH, with a magazine the name /is/ substance. It is the loudest
statement of editorial direction. And it is something one should imagine
living with for a long time. I would also consider how easy it is to say
and how it looks typographically. Yadda Lambda. OK, that's pretty bad.
:)

I outfoxed the rascals with my contrib -- I changed the name.

:)

Re the substance (gasp!) I for one do not like the audience "Lisp
programmers".

For one thing, the stuff for beginners should go in the cookbook. Maybe
the advanced stuff, too. I think it is a mistake to weaken one good CL
project with a second one with so much overlap.

Second, if the audience was programmers or techies in general, YL could
become a repository for "why lisp?" stuff. Experience reports. Language
comparisons. Even technical pieces demonstrating stuff hard to do in
other languages.

The Cookbook then is a place someone using Lisp can use for tech help,
YL becomes a place for Lispers to crow about their language and for
non-Lispers to get turned on to Lisp.

--

 kenny tilton
 clinisys, inc
From: lin8080
···@healy.washington.dc.us schrieb:

> How about "Lisp pointers", or does ACM (still) own that name?  The
> name was a bit of a puzzle to me, however, as I always thought of Lisp
> as _not_ dealing with pointers.  Anyway, if the intent is to make
> something like that magazine, I'm looking forward to it.

And why not replace the Magazine with Journal ?

      Common
      Lisp
      Journal

(anywhere should be the important "()")
This is CLJ and does not mean Java, or ? But it could mean all Lisp
dialects, not only CL.
Is this online or paperprint ?

stefan
From: Gene Michael Stover
If you went to (http://lisp-p.org/) & saw an error message,
I apologize for the inconvenience.  If you'd like to try
again, it'll surely (probably) work.

I fixed the problem that some people reported by replacing
the broken CGI program with good old-fashioned hard-coded HTML.

Thanks to those who notified me of the problem.

gene
From: Dorai Sitaram
In article <················@gte.net>,
Gene Michael Stover  <········@gte.net> wrote:
> (http://lisp-p.org/)

Shouldn't that be, per Lisp hyphenation convention,
lispp rather than lisp-p ?  But lisp-p is more
readable.

On your website you write:

> You get coolness points if you want to submit your
> article in LaTeX, but I'm not sure how easily a LaTeX
> document can convert to the hacked-up HTML files I use
> in Yadda Lambda's database.  Still, if LaTeX is how you
> work best, do it that way & we'll figure it out as we
> go.

I have a freely usable/distributable Common Lisp
program TeX2page at
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/~dorai/tex2page/tex2page-doc.html
that may be helpful.  There are quite a few
(La)TeX-to-HTML converters around, but TeX2page allows
you to use Common Lisp as its "extension language".

Also, TeX2page is the only converter that is
actually used by the TeX mascot.

tex2page.lsp works out-of-the-box in CLISP, and
possibly Allegro.  If you're interested but use another
CL dialect, please let me know.

--d
From: Bijan Parsia
On 25 Feb 2002, Dorai Sitaram wrote:
[snip]
> tex2page.lsp works out-of-the-box in CLISP, and
> possibly Allegro.  If you're interested but use another
> CL dialect, please let me know.

er..don't you mean another CL implemenation?

A dialect variation would be something like CLTL1|2 vs. ANSI, yes?

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.
From: Dorai Sitaram
In article <··········································@login3.isis.unc.edu>,
Bijan Parsia  <·······@email.unc.edu> wrote:
>On 25 Feb 2002, Dorai Sitaram wrote:
>[snip]
>> tex2page.lsp works out-of-the-box in CLISP, and
>> possibly Allegro.  If you're interested but use another
>> CL dialect, please let me know.
>
>er..don't you mean another CL implemenation?
>
>A dialect variation would be something like CLTL1|2 vs. ANSI, yes?

You're right, my mistake.

(I credit my watching of many Pace Picante Sauce
ads over the years for saving me from compounding my
blunder by asking naively: "What's the difference?" :-)

--d
From: Paolo Amoroso
wrote:

> ANNOUNCING YADDA LAMBDA, a magazine for Lisp programmers
[...]
>      The first issue will be published on or about 1 April
>      2002, & new issues will be published about fortnightly

Well, I'd prefer 31 March or 2 April :) Thanks for your contribution to
making Lisp thrive. Best wishes,

Paolo
http://www.paoloamoroso.it/ency/README
[http://cvs2.cons.org:8000/cmucl/doc/EncyCMUCLopedia/]
From: Paolo Amoroso
wrote:

> ANNOUNCING YADDA LAMBDA, a magazine for Lisp programmers

Given the current discussion about the magazine name, if a new one is
required I suggest "Lisp Civilization".

From: Xah Lee
As to what might be better names, i have a few suggestions.

+ Computing Language Journal
this one takes the garish approach.
Eye attracting. Justification not hard to come by.

+ Language IS Programing
ha ha.
Same principle as before.  More
tricky. Trap the imperative monkeys and
kill them in one shot.

+ List Programing
A classic. Retro comes alive.
In the age of XML fashion, not too bad a name.

+ Lisssp
This is lisp for lispers.
If choosen, i'd suggest the same domain name.
Might as well grab lissp. Vice versa.
As to lisp-p.org, i'd rather prefer lispp.org.
Easy typing. Less easy to forget.

Naming discussion notwithstanding, I hope you lispers do have
something to say, and continuously. Lots of these type of individually
devised, home-cooked publications stops at the first issue. My own
preference towards this kind of initiatives is that do, instead of
talk. For example, my website, in which i love math and simply do it
by addiction. I'm the type of guy who usually have elaborate plans on
things for the perfectionism in me, but the master plan projects
usually dies at the planning stage. (i have a master plan to get all
the chicks.)  But even my master plan scheme didn't stop me from
writing mathematics, proving that love is more important that
perfectionism.

I would suggest love, instead of master plan.  And when your magazine
is destitute of material, feel free to grab my online opuses as posted
on comp.lang.lisp. (I, ANAL, but legally speaking, i grant you
permission to publish my comp.lang.lisp essays. All other rights
reserved.)

From: mcreatch
>> ANNOUNCING YADDA LAMBDA

Is that a Yiddish magazine for gay Seinfeld fans ?
From: mcreatch
Subject: ANN: Yadda Lambda a Yiddish magazine for gay Seinfeld fans