From: Vladimir Zolotykh
Subject: UncommonSQL
Would you mind to help me a bit with installing UncommonSQL ?

I've got recent version from CVS at alpha.onshored.com.

Unfortunately there is no installation instructions there.

My first attempt was

  make all

This resulted to error

  Type-error in COMMON-LISP::PACKAGE-OR-LOSE:  "ODCL" is not of type PACKAGE

Then I've tried it manually:

  (setf (logical-pathname-translations "cl-library")
    '(("**;*.*.*" "/home/vlz/lisp/src/**/")))

  (load "uncommonsql.system")
  (mk:oos :uncommonsql 'compile)

It complains:

  File-error in function COMMON-LISP::INTERNAL-LOAD:
  "modules:odcl" does not exist.

What is ODCL ? Some references to the package of that name found in
the sources but not the package itself.

Could you help me a bit with that ? If someone has installation
instruction for UncommonSQL it will be very appreciated (just a few
words will help).

Using recent versions from CVS at alpha.onshored.com and CMUCL18c on
Slackware 7.0.

--
Vladimir Zolotykh

From: Dr. Edmund Weitz
Subject: Re: UncommonSQL
Vladimir Zolotykh <······@eurocom.od.ua> writes:

> What is ODCL ? Some references to the package of that name found in
> the sources but not the package itself.

A couple of small utility functions. The package can also be found on
OnShored's website.

UncommonSQL works fine with CMUCL (18c as well as pre-18d) and
PostgreSQL on my Linux machine.

Edi.

--

Dr. Edmund Weitz
Hamburg

The Common Lisp Cookbook
<http://cl-cookbook.sourceforge.net/>
From: Craig Brozefsky
Vladimir Zolotykh <······@eurocom.od.ua> writes:

> Would you mind to help me a bit with installing UncommonSQL ?
>
> I've got recent version from CVS at alpha.onshored.com.
>
> Unfortunately there is no installation instructions there.
>
> My first attempt was
>
>   make all

The make all/install targets are vestiges of dayz long gone, and they
are NOT the proper way to build the system.  I am removing them from
the HEAD.  Sorry for the confusion.

>   (load "uncommonsql.system")
>   (mk:oos :uncommonsql 'compile)
>
> It complains:
>
>   File-error in function COMMON-LISP::INTERNAL-LOAD:
>   "modules:odcl" does not exist.
>
> What is ODCL ? Some references to the package of that name found in
> the sources but not the package itself.

It's some stuff that USQL uses, just a utility library.  It's
available on the same CVS server as usql.

All of these are now available as debs BTW, and quite recent.

I suppose it's time to write up some installation docs.  Most of our
users so far have been going the package route, which is where we put
most of our maintenance energy, but we're getting more who don't in
the last few weeks.

--
Craig Brozefsky                           <·····@red-bean.com>
                                http://www.red-bean.com/~craig
From: emdpek
I am going to have to "me too" on you.  An installation
manual, or some friendly guidance, is necessary.  The
Debian packages unfortuneately don't help my situation.

Ok, for example.  ODCL is a depency, great, how do I
compile/install/load that?  Ok, seems like package MK
is a depency of ODCL, and where might that be?  Ah,
tucked away in the extra/ directory of cllib, hmm...

What is this global system directory I have heard
mention of, some kind of load path?  Is this
mechanism the same across, for example, clisp and
cmucl?

I am not only targeting USQL.  The docs for
aserve/portableaserve are likewise broken or
non-existant...  (I was too frustrated/intimidated to
attempt cl-http...)

I am halfway through Norvig's PAIP, so Lisp is not the
stranger.  Unfortunately, the loading requirements for
that book are straight forward.  (As a side note, I am
also an ex-Slackware user, so I am quite experienced
with painful installs...)  Common Lisp has been a great
learning experience, and I would like to try out the
various web application servers.  Otherwise, I can
easily see myself putting down Common Lisp at the end
of PAIP...

Thanks in advance for any help!!!
From: Jochen Schmidt
emdpek wrote:

 > I am not only targeting USQL.  The docs for
> aserve/portableaserve are likewise broken or
> non-existant...  (I was too frustrated/intimidated to
> attempt cl-http...)

What kind of problems did you have in regard to portableaserve?
I looked again into an actual snapshot of my development tree
and it seemed to me that we at least tried to make it easy to install
and understand.

The file README (written by me) gives a short overview of what the purpose
of each of the other files in the toplevel directory is.

The file INSTALL.lisp documents how to build/load portableaserve with LW or
CMUCL. You can read this to see how it works or simply load it - it should
work out of the box. (If not it is a bug and a bugreport would be nice)

For LispWorks you do not need any additional packages (this is why I still
maintain LW Defsystems parallelly to the MK ones in the source tree).

For CMUCL Rudi Schlatte described in the README.cmucl the dependencies of
portableaserve if you use CMUCL. Which are (in short):

- MK Defsystem (available at http://clocc.sourceforge.net)
- Gray streams. Is loaded automatically when loading "INSTALL.lisp"
  The Gray streams library comes with the CMUCL distribution (probably in
  one of the extension packages)

He describes too that portableaserve makes use of "common-lisp-controller"
for cCLan (a Common Lisp CPAN-like package installation system). This is
_not_ a dependency - portableaserve should work well without c-l-c. (By
simply doing (load "INSTALL.lisp") in vanilla CMUCL)

The ACL-COMPAT package has no real documentation yet. But since it tries to
be compatible to the ACL API you can use the extensive documentation
available for ACL at http://www.franz.com.

The documentation to AServe itself is available at
http://opensource.franz.com.
I just realized that portableaserve might not have updated the original
AServe documentation that comes with the package for a while. I will update
it in one of my next commits into the CVS.

Speaking of CVS - At the time it is always better to fetch the actual
release out of the CVS. We try not to break the system in CVS so you should
always get a working system.

ciao,
Jochen

http://www.dataheaven.de
From: Vladimir Zolotykh
Just a short summary.

Here is my actions to install USQL. It doesn't pretend to be
installation instructions anyway.

  cvs ··················@alpha.onshored.com:/cvs login
  (password is 'anoncvs')
  cvs -z9 ··················@alpha.onshored.com:/cvs co uncommonsql
  cvs -z9 ··················@alpha.onshored.com:/cvs co odcl

This brings uncommonsql and odcl directories on the same level (say
/home/vlz/lisp/src).  Next go in odcl and start lisp (cmucl).
(defsystem needed in the running image).

  (setf (logical-pathname-translations "cl-library")
    '(("**;*.*.*" "/home/vlz/lisp/src/**/")))

  (load "odcl.system")
  (mk:oos :odcl 'compile)

Go to ../uncommonsql and compile it also

  (setf (ext:default-directory) "../uncommonsql")

  (load "metadata.system")

Not sure about loading metadata.system. Done it just in case.

  (load "uncommonsql.system")
  (mk:oos :uncommonsql 'compile)

Now you could connect to some database and try tutorial for example.

  (setq *proba* (sql:connect '("" "proba" "user" "password")
			     :database-type :postgresql)

--
Vladimir Zolotykh