From: bluefox420
Subject: LISP integration with Java/.NET?
Hi,

I'm new to LISP. I'm curious as to whether there is any effort to
build a "bridge" from LISP to either Java or .NET, something like
Jython.
Since Java (and now .NET) has a wealth of prewritten libraries for
networking,
regular expressions, XML parsing, GUIs etc., LISP programmers could
benefit tremendously.

Thanks.

From: Thomas F. Burdick
Subject: Re: LISP integration with Java/.NET?
·······@hotmail.com (bluefox420) writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to LISP. I'm curious as to whether there is any effort to
> build a "bridge" from LISP to either Java or .NET, something like
> Jython.
> Since Java (and now .NET) has a wealth of prewritten libraries for
> networking,
> regular expressions, XML parsing, GUIs etc., LISP programmers could
> benefit tremendously.

There are ways of bridging the gap, but there are no serious efforts
to make a Lisp compiler targeting the JVM or the .NET runtime (AFAIK).
Part of the problem is that .NET has *such* a different view of the
world from Lisp's.  CLOS is a very different object model than .NET's,
and dynamic languages aren't terribly well supported.  It could be
worse, and there is a Smalltalk that compiles to .NET.  But even doing
CLOS internally in the Lisp's world would probably be fairly
inefficient in .NET.

All that said, if I had infinite time and resources, writing a Lisp
compiler to target .NET would be cool.  I like a challenge :).  But...

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |
From: Wade Humeniuk
> Since Java (and now .NET) has a wealth of prewritten libraries for
> networking,
> regular expressions, XML parsing, GUIs etc., LISP programmers could
> benefit tremendously.
>
> Thanks.

Common Lisp already has them.

No Thanks.

Wade
From: Eric Moss
bluefox420 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to LISP. I'm curious as to whether there is any effort to
> build a "bridge" from LISP to either Java or .NET, something like
> Jython.
> Since Java (and now .NET) has a wealth of prewritten libraries for
> networking,
> regular expressions, XML parsing, GUIs etc., LISP programmers could
> benefit tremendously.

By my .sig you can likely guess I'm not to interested in "benefitting"
from .NET :)

Actually, my experience has been that XML is a net (pardon the pun) loss
compared to lisp's S-expressions--more string and harder to parse.
Although I have agitated for various "standardized" lisp libraries (e.g.
regexes, which regexp1.01 does really well, it turns out), it has become
apparent that many (most?) problems wouldn't need regexes if they were
formulated better.  Same with XML and the rest.

Dive into Lisp and you'll see what I mean.

Anyway, Duane Rettig (or John Foderaro?) of Franz Inc. posted something
months ago about why fitting into the .NET paradigm was seen as a
technical (and IMO, moral) regression.  Search Deja in this newsgroup
and you should find it.

(His company has Lisp/Java bindings and Lisp/C bindings, BTW)

Eric

--
"The obvious mathematical breakthrough would be development of an easy
way to

	Bill Gates, The Road Ahead, Viking Penguin (1995), page 265
From: Coby Beck
"Eric Moss" <········@alltel.net> wrote in message
······················@alltel.net...
> --
> "The obvious mathematical breakthrough would be development of an easy
> way to factor large prime numbers."
>
> Bill Gates, The Road Ahead, Viking Penguin (1995), page 265

Eureka!  I've done it!!!

(defun factor-large-prime (prime)
       (list prime 1))

and the terrific thing is it works, all be it partially, for non-primes as
well as primes of ALL sizes!  Now if it could only be implemented in
Java....

--
Coby Beck
From: Marco Antoniotti
"Coby Beck" <·····@mercury.bc.ca> writes:

> "Eric Moss" <········@alltel.net> wrote in message
> ······················@alltel.net...
> > --
> > "The obvious mathematical breakthrough would be development of an easy
> > way to factor large prime numbers."
> >
> > Bill Gates, The Road Ahead, Viking Penguin (1995), page 265
>
> Eureka!  I've done it!!!
>
> (defun factor-large-prime (prime)
>        (list prime 1))
>
> and the terrific thing is it works, all be it partially, for non-primes as
> well as primes of ALL sizes!  Now if it could only be implemented in
> Java....

I am sure you can implement it in Java.  It is the .NET stuff I am
unsure of :)

Cheers

719 Broadway 12th Floor                 fax  +1 - 212 - 995 4122
                    "Hello New York! We'll do what we can!"
                           Bill Murray in `Ghostbusters'.
From: Eric Moss
Marco Antoniotti wrote:

> "Coby Beck" <·····@mercury.bc.ca> writes:
>
> > "Eric Moss" <········@alltel.net> wrote in message
> > ······················@alltel.net...
> > > --
> > > "The obvious mathematical breakthrough would be development of an easy
> > > way to factor large prime numbers."
> > >
> > > Bill Gates, The Road Ahead, Viking Penguin (1995), page 265
> >
> > Eureka!  I've done it!!!
> >
> > (defun factor-large-prime (prime)
> >        (list prime 1))
> >
> > and the terrific thing is it works, all be it partially, for non-primes as
> > well as primes of ALL sizes!  Now if it could only be implemented in
> > Java....
>
> I am sure you can implement it in Java.  It is the .NET stuff I am
> unsure of :)

The best part is the quote from M$FlackKorps a year before the "seminal"
book by the Man Himself:

Why Bill Gates is Richer than You:

"Bill [Gates] is just smarter than everyone else," Mike Maples, an
executive vice-president of Microsoft, says.  "There are probably more
smart people per square foot right here than anywhere else in the world,
but Bill is just smarter."

        The New Yorker, January 10, 1994
From: D�borah
Thanks a lot for your help..
(If you have other sources...i still want them !)

D�borah.

"bluefox420" <·······@hotmail.com> a �crit dans le message news:
····························@posting.google.com...

From: D�borah
Scuse...
:(

From: Per Bothner
bluefox420 wrote:
> I'm new to LISP. I'm curious as to whether there is any effort to
> build a "bridge" from LISP to either Java or .NET, something like
> Jython.

Kawa (http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa) has been compiling Scheme
to Java bytecodes since 1996.  It can also handle a good chunk of
Emacs Lisp, and a smaller subset of Common Lisp.
--
	--Per Bothner
···@bothner.com   http://www.bothner.com/per/
From: Mark Watson
I have 'ranted' about this before in this newsgroup:

I think that robust SOAP client and server support
in Common LISP is the best way to play nicely
with both J2EE (or a subset :-) and Microsoft's .Net.

I added web services to a commercial Java app server
(Lutris EAS - under contract) and I have played with
Microsoft's .Net a fair amount. Both are awesome
environments for building web services.

However, Lisp is much better for some applications
so using Lisp as a back end for either .Net or
J2EE based web services seems like a winning idea!

I thought of trying to implement SOAP with UDDI and WSDL support
in Common LISP (I have a nice, but limitted hack for SOAP), but
I would rather have a commercial Lisp vendor do it right, and
then pay for it.

-Mark

-- Mark Watson
-- Open Source and Open Content: www.markwatson.com
-- Commercial Software: www.knowledgebooks.com
From: Marc Battyani
"Mark Watson" <···········@markwatson.com> wrote

> I have 'ranted' about this before in this newsgroup:
>
> I think that robust SOAP client and server support
> in Common LISP is the best way to play nicely
> with both J2EE (or a subset :-) and Microsoft's .Net.

I also think that .NET is a good thing for Lisp. Not for a Lisp.NET, which
would be useless, but the ability of calling Lisp applications from .NET
through a standard way (SOAP) is very good.

> I added web services to a commercial Java app server
> (Lutris EAS - under contract) and I have played with
> Microsoft's .Net a fair amount. Both are awesome
> environments for building web services.
>
> However, Lisp is much better for some applications
> so using Lisp as a back end for either .Net or
> J2EE based web services seems like a winning idea!
>
> I thought of trying to implement SOAP with UDDI and WSDL support
> in Common LISP (I have a nice, but limitted hack for SOAP), but
> I would rather have a commercial Lisp vendor do it right, and
> then pay for it.

I agree with that. For now I am considering doing a mod_lisp.NET connector
to plug Lisp applications behind all the SOAP/UDDI/WSDL stuff.

Marc