From: Tim Bradshaw
Subject: Extra args to FORMAT OK?
Is it strictly legal to have a call to FORMAT such as:

   (format t "foo" 1)

?

I suspect it probably is, but I couldn't find a statement either way.

Thanks]

--tim

From: Brian Seitz
Subject: Re: Extra args to FORMAT OK?
> Is it strictly legal to have a call to FORMAT such as:
>
>    (format t "foo" 1)
>
> ?
>
> I suspect it probably is, but I couldn't find a statement either way.

22.3.3 of Steele says "It is an error if no argument remains for a
directive requiring an argument, but is not an error if one or more
arguments remain unprocessed by a directive."

Sounds legal to me.

-- Brian
From: Nils Goesche
In article <······································@ywing.stsci.edu>, Brian Seitz wrote:
>> Is it strictly legal to have a call to FORMAT such as:
>>
>>    (format t "foo" 1)
>>
>> ?
>>
>> I suspect it probably is, but I couldn't find a statement either way.
>
> 22.3.3 of Steele says "It is an error if no argument remains for a
> directive requiring an argument, but is not an error if one or more
> arguments remain unprocessed by a directive."
>
> Sounds legal to me.

The HyperSpec agrees, too:

# 22.3.10.2 Missing and Additional FORMAT Arguments
#
# The consequences are undefined if no arg remains for a directive
# requiring an argument. However, it is permissible for one or more
# args to remain unprocessed by a directive; such args are ignored.

Regards,
--
Nils Goesche

PGP key ID 0x42B32FC9