From: Matthew Denson
Subject: Two questions about implementing an ISLISP interpreter
I have been writing a LISP interpreter.  I'm writing it because
a) I've never written an interpreter before
b) I wanted to get a handle on LISP in general, and
c) I wanted to, in the process expand, my capabilities in Java
(the language I'm implementing the core of it in).
Anyway it isn't homework.;-)

I've semi-randomly chose ISLISP as the dialect to implement
(as specified in the ISLISP Working Draft 20.3).

I've been plugging away and have two questions (to start with).
1) Do I have a draft that is close to complete?  If not where could purchase
one? I can't find it in the ANSI web site which is "my" member body of ISO.
How much will it cost, roughly?

2) My most pressing question right now regards how to implement the lexical
"environment".  I am currently using a hashmap to "bind" the symbol to the
"value".
I have one map for each namespace in a class and have an instance for each
lexical
scope. (Hope I said that with words that make sense.)  Anyway, I am now
working
on immutable bindings and this is causing me to wonder if there is a better
way to
structure this.  This is all real general and abstract.  If it is too
abstract please let me
know where to fill it out.  I could probably write an entire paper on it
don't
know which parts are more helpful.
Are there any particular open source implementations that I should look at?
Any
books or sections of books?

Thank in advance,
Matthew Denson
--
Matthew Denson                                 PGP key 0xB971E76F

From: Michael Parker
"Matthew Denson" <·······@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<············@bob.news.rcn.net>...
> I have been writing a LISP interpreter.  I'm writing it because
> a) I've never written an interpreter before
> b) I wanted to get a handle on LISP in general, and
> c) I wanted to, in the process expand, my capabilities in Java
> (the language I'm implementing the core of it in).
> Anyway it isn't homework.;-)

> 2) My most pressing question right now regards how to implement the lexical
> "environment".  I am currently using a hashmap to "bind" the symbol to the
> "value".
> I have one map for each namespace in a class and have an instance for each
> lexical
> scope. (Hope I said that with words that make sense.)  Anyway, I am now
> working
> on immutable bindings and this is causing me to wonder if there is a better
> way to
> structure this.  This is all real general and abstract.  If it is too
> abstract please let me
> know where to fill it out.  I could probably write an entire paper on it
> don't
> know which parts are more helpful.
> Are there any particular open source implementations that I should look at?
> Any
> books or sections of books?

Read _Lisp In Small Pieces_, by Cristian Quienniec before you go any
farther.  You're getting yourself into knots over things that are much
simpler than you're making them out to be.
From: Bruno Haible
> (as specified in the ISLISP Working Draft 20.3).
> 1) Do I have a draft that is close to complete?

Yes, definitely.

                  Bruno