From: Matthew Kennedy
Subject: picking a common lisp -- which one?
I am just starting out with Common Lisp and I am trying to pick which
implementation of Common Lisp would be best for me. I've looked at GCL,
GNU clisp and CMU CL so far. The things I need in an implementation are:

  * Free access to the source
  * Support for sockets (and possibly RPC, CORBA if possible)
  * Completeness (wrt the Common Lisp standard)
  * A binding to a cross platform GUI

and, if possible:

  * An implementation which can compile down to a JVM

CMU and GNU clisp seem to the most feature rich implementations. I've
tried GCL but it doesn't seem to support sockets. GNU clisp can
interoperate with Java via Jacol. My main dislike of CMU is that it can't
bootstrap it's own build process (you need a binary of cmucl to build
cmucl). So far I think GNU clisp is the way to go...

Are there any other Common Lisp implementations which might fit the bill?

Thanks,

Matthew

From: Thomas F. Burdick
Subject: Re: picking a common lisp -- which one?
Matthew Kennedy <·········@yahoo.com> writes:

> I am just starting out with Common Lisp and I am trying to pick which
> implementation of Common Lisp would be best for me. I've looked at GCL,
> GNU clisp and CMU CL so far. The things I need in an implementation are:
>
>   * Free access to the source
>   * Support for sockets (and possibly RPC, CORBA if possible)
>   * Completeness (wrt the Common Lisp standard)

GCL does not get you this one -- ANSI compliance is a long-term goal,
but right now, it's not very close (it's still pretty much a CLtL1
implementation).

>   * A binding to a cross platform GUI
>
> and, if possible:
>
>   * An implementation which can compile down to a JVM

I don't think any CL's do this.

> CMU and GNU clisp seem to the most feature rich implementations. I've
> tried GCL but it doesn't seem to support sockets. GNU clisp can
> interoperate with Java via Jacol.
>
> My main dislike of CMU is that it can't bootstrap it's own build
> process (you need a binary of cmucl to build cmucl). So far I think
> GNU clisp is the way to go...

This is a horribly annoying problem for cmucl developers, but a pretty
much a non-issue for users.  And it's a complete non-sequitur here --
I don't see how any of your other requirements would imply this one
out of left field.  Why do you think this matters?

> Are there any other Common Lisp implementations which might fit the bill?

sbcl and ecl.

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |
From: Matthew Kennedy
On Mon, 11 Feb 2002 19:29:28 -0600, Thomas F. Burdick wrote:
 This is a horribly annoying problem for cmucl developers, but a pretty
> much a non-issue for users.  And it's a complete non-sequitur here -- I
> don't see how any of your other requirements would imply this one out of
> left field.  Why do you think this matters?

Mostly my concern was a question of availability. cmucl, being such a
tricky piece of software to build, makes it very scarce between most
flavours of Linux.
From: Craig Brozefsky
Matthew Kennedy <·········@yahoo.com> writes:

> Mostly my concern was a question of availability. cmucl, being such a
> tricky piece of software to build, makes it very scarce between most
> flavours of Linux.

It's packaged and well-maintained in Debian and RedHat, and is always
available for Gnu/Linux variants in tarball format.  As far as binary
compatability, it is really libc and the kernel that matter, not the
distribution.

--
Craig Brozefsky                           <·····@red-bean.com>
                                http://www.red-bean.com/~craig
From: Thomas F. Burdick
Craig Brozefsky <·····@red-bean.com> writes:

> Matthew Kennedy <·········@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > Mostly my concern was a question of availability. cmucl, being such a
> > tricky piece of software to build, makes it very scarce between most
> > flavours of Linux.
>
> It's packaged and well-maintained in Debian and RedHat, and is always
> available for Gnu/Linux variants in tarball format.  As far as binary
> compatability, it is really libc and the kernel that matter, not the
> distribution.

And, FWIW, it's not so tricky to build.  At least, on Linux.  Back
when I ran RedHat, I used the Debian packages with no problem; now,
running Debian, I obviously have no problem.  And the debian packages
can rebuild themselves easily.

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |
From: Dr. Edmund Weitz
Matthew Kennedy <·········@yahoo.com> writes:

> I am just starting out with Common Lisp and I am trying to pick which
> implementation of Common Lisp would be best for me. I've looked at GCL,
> GNU clisp and CMU CL so far. The things I need in an implementation are:
>
>   * Free access to the source
>   * Support for sockets (and possibly RPC, CORBA if possible)
>   * Completeness (wrt the Common Lisp standard)
>   * A binding to a cross platform GUI
>
> and, if possible:
>
>   * An implementation which can compile down to a JVM
>
> CMU and GNU clisp seem to the most feature rich implementations. I've
> tried GCL but it doesn't seem to support sockets. GNU clisp can
> interoperate with Java via Jacol. My main dislike of CMU is that it can't
> bootstrap it's own build process (you need a binary of cmucl to build
> cmucl). So far I think GNU clisp is the way to go...
>
> Are there any other Common Lisp implementations which might fit the bill?

See <http://www-jcsu.jesus.cam.ac.uk/~csr21/lispfaq.html#AEN58>. If
the bootstrapping issues are your main problem with CMUCL you might
want to look at SBCL.

As for features that go beyond the ANSI standard you should not only
check the implementation itself but also implementation-independent
extensions. See <http://ww.telent.net/cliki/index> and
<http://clocc.sourceforge.net/> for examples.

Edi.

--

Dr. Edmund Weitz
Hamburg

The Common Lisp Cookbook
<http://agharta.de/cookbook/>
From: Ralf Kleberhoff
Hi, Matthew!

Matthew Kennedy schrieb:

> I am just starting out with Common Lisp and I am trying to pick which
> implementation of Common Lisp would be best for me. I've looked at GCL,
> GNU clisp and CMU CL so far. The things I need in an implementation are:
>
>   * Free access to the source
>   * Support for sockets (and possibly RPC, CORBA if possible)

CLORB (hosted at Sourceforge) brings you close to full CORBA support
if you have a socket library (or a platform supporting foreign function
calls - it's pretty easy to setup sockets from e.g. the LINUX system
calls)

>   * Completeness (wrt the Common Lisp standard)
>   * A binding to a cross platform GUI

CLIM is a cross-platform GUI layer, but by now the only complete
implementations are commercial ones. The free project McCLIM
isn't complete yet (AFAIK).
I don't know if you'll like CLIM.
It's hard to produce modern-looking GUIs with it, but it's great
if you want to associate text or graphics output with semantics:
it's REALLY EASY to add e.g. a context menu to a portion of output.

> and, if possible:
>
>   * An implementation which can compile down to a JVM

An interesting idea. It might even be possible to translate LISP
to the JVM instruction set...

> CMU and GNU clisp seem to the most feature rich implementations. I've
> tried GCL but it doesn't seem to support sockets. GNU clisp can
> interoperate with Java via Jacol.

I'd suggest using CORBA. Java perfectly supports it, and CLORB does a
good job for the LISP side

> My main dislike of CMU is that it can't
> bootstrap it's own build process (you need a binary of cmucl to build
> cmucl). So far I think GNU clisp is the way to go...
>
> Are there any other Common Lisp implementations which might fit the bill?

If you're using Windows, there's Corman Lisp (not open-source, but
affordable or even free in some situations).

--- Ralf
From: lin8080
Ralf Kleberhoff schrieb:

> An interesting idea. It might even be possible to translate LISP
> to the JVM instruction set...

BTW. I saw a scheme lisp on a plam. See:

http://www.lispme.de/lispme/

For win you can download an emulator at:
http://www.palmos.com/dev/tools/emulator/emulator-win.zip
and a skin at:
http://www.palmos.com/dev/tools/emulator/emulator-skins-18.zip

happy palming :)))
stefan

hint: http://www.se-ed.net/palmos/
From: Paolo Amoroso
On Fri, 15 Feb 2002 01:21:32 +0100, lin8080 <·······@freenet.de> wrote:

> For win you can download an emulator at:
> http://www.palmos.com/dev/tools/emulator/emulator-win.zip
> and a skin at:
> http://www.palmos.com/dev/tools/emulator/emulator-skins-18.zip

POSE, the Palm OS emulator, also requires a ROM image.

Paolo
http://www.paoloamoroso.it/ency/README
[http://cvs2.cons.org:8000/cmucl/doc/EncyCMUCLopedia/]
From: lin8080
Paolo Amoroso schrieb:

> On Fri, 15 Feb 2002 01:21:32 +0100, lin8080 <·······@freenet.de> wrote:

> POSE, the Palm OS emulator, also requires a ROM image.

> Paolo

ahaaaa
see the hint there :)

stefan
From: Paolo Amoroso
On Thu, 14 Feb 2002 21:45:32 +0100, Ralf Kleberhoff <····@kleberhoff.de>
wrote:

> implementations are commercial ones. The free project McCLIM
> isn't complete yet (AFAIK).

True, but they are constantly making progress.