From: Julian Stecklina
Subject: newLISP - alternatives?
Hello,

after reading a posting about newLISP I just downloaded it and tried
(btw: works perfectly under FreeBSD). But unfortunately it is far away
from what I am used to (Common Lisp).

So I would like to ask, wether there is another more lisp-like
language that is as lightweight as newLISP and supports GUI
creation. Or perhaps someone could provide a simple tutorial on how to
setup and use CLUE/CLIO from the CLOCC package.

Regards,
Julian

--
Um meinen oeffentlichen Schluessel zu erhalten:
To get my public key:

From: Thaddeus L Olczyk
Subject: Re: newLISP - alternatives?
On 11 Feb 2002 18:39:01 +0100, ·········@gmx.net (Julian Stecklina)
wrote:

>Hello,
>
>after reading a posting about newLISP I just downloaded it and tried
>(btw: works perfectly under FreeBSD). But unfortunately it is far away
>from what I am used to (Common Lisp).
>
>So I would like to ask, wether there is another more lisp-like
>language that is as lightweight as newLISP and supports GUI
>creation. Or perhaps someone could provide a simple tutorial on how to
>setup and use CLUE/CLIO from the CLOCC package.
>
>Regards,
>Julian
Try petite Chez Scheme. If comes with a widgets package ( that you
have to download seperately, but they mention it in the same paragraph
as the downloads).
From: Marco Antoniotti
······@interaccess.com (Thaddeus L Olczyk) writes:

> On 11 Feb 2002 18:39:01 +0100, ·········@gmx.net (Julian Stecklina)
> wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >after reading a posting about newLISP I just downloaded it and tried
> >(btw: works perfectly under FreeBSD). But unfortunately it is far away
> >from what I am used to (Common Lisp).
> >
> >So I would like to ask, wether there is another more lisp-like
> >language that is as lightweight as newLISP and supports GUI
> >creation. Or perhaps someone could provide a simple tutorial on how to
> >setup and use CLUE/CLIO from the CLOCC package.
> >
> >Regards,
> >Julian
> Try petite Chez Scheme. If comes with a widgets package ( that you
> have to download seperately, but they mention it in the same paragraph
> as the downloads).

That still suffers from the "But unfortunately it is far away
from what I am used to (Common Lisp)" requirement. :)

Cheers

719 Broadway 12th Floor                 fax  +1 - 212 - 995 4122
                    "Hello New York! We'll do what we can!"
                           Bill Murray in `Ghostbusters'.
From: Julian Stecklina
Marco Antoniotti <·······@cs.nyu.edu> writes:

[...]

> > Try petite Chez Scheme. If comes with a widgets package ( that you
> > have to download seperately, but they mention it in the same paragraph
> > as the downloads).
>
> That still suffers from the "But unfortunately it is far away
> from what I am used to (Common Lisp)" requirement. :)

[...]

That is right. Another scheme is certainly not what I want. Not that
the language is bad, but it is just a bit strange to me. :)

Regards, Julian

From: Martin Cracauer
·········@gmx.net (Julian Stecklina) writes:

>after reading a posting about newLISP I just downloaded it and tried
>(btw: works perfectly under FreeBSD). But unfortunately it is far away
>from what I am used to (Common Lisp).

>So I would like to ask, wether there is another more lisp-like
>language that is as lightweight as newLISP and supports GUI
>creation. Or perhaps someone could provide a simple tutorial on how to
>setup and use CLUE/CLIO from the CLOCC package.

I would recommend biting yourself though whatever keeps you from using
Common Lisp.  What kind of problems do you have?

I am not particularily impressed with CLUE/CLIO, maybe one of the Gtk
bindings would be better?

Martin
--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Martin Cracauer <········@bik-gmbh.de> http://www.bik-gmbh.de/~cracauer/
From: Julian Stecklina
········@counter.bik-gmbh.de (Martin Cracauer) writes:

[...]

> I would recommend biting yourself though whatever keeps you from using
> Common Lisp.  What kind of problems do you have?

I use Common Lisp for all smaller projects (there was no large project
until now) that do not involve an GUI. But for applications with GUI I
was a bit unsure how to get started. Another issue is multithreading,
but that is not the point here.

> I am not particularily impressed with CLUE/CLIO, maybe one of the Gtk
> bindings would be better?

I have never programmed GTK. Sometime ago I wrote GUIs (only Windows)
with either TASM or Delphi. So I thought there is no real difference
between some gtk binding and CLUE/CLIO from the programmer's point of
view. I do not really care about the outward appearance as long as the
GUI is usable.

What GTK binding would you recommend?

Regards,
Julian
From: Brian P Templeton
·········@gmx.net (Julian Stecklina) writes:

> Hello,
>
> after reading a posting about newLISP I just downloaded it and tried
> (btw: works perfectly under FreeBSD). But unfortunately it is far away
> from what I am used to (Common Lisp).
>
> So I would like to ask, wether there is another more lisp-like
> language that is as lightweight as newLISP and supports GUI
> creation. Or perhaps someone could provide a simple tutorial on how to
> setup and use CLUE/CLIO from the CLOCC package.

I know of a few GUI libraries for CL:
 - CLX (= Xlib)
 - CLUE/CLIO
 - CLG
 - CLIM (McCLIM, etc)
 - Garnet
 - CLM
I recommend CLIM if you have the time to learn it - it is standardized
and has multiple implementations. CLG may be another good choice, and
I have heard that Garnet has some interesting features.

> Regards,
> Julian
>
> --
> Um meinen oeffentlichen Schluessel zu erhalten:
> To get my public key:
> http://math-www.uni-paderborn.de/pgp/

--
BPT <···@tunes.org>	    		/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
backronym for Linux:			\ / No HTML or RTF in mail
From: Julian Stecklina
Brian P Templeton <···@tunes.org> writes:

[...]

> I know of a few GUI libraries for CL:
>  - CLX (= Xlib)
>  - CLUE/CLIO
>  - CLG
>  - CLIM (McCLIM, etc)
>  - Garnet
>  - CLM
> I recommend CLIM if you have the time to learn it - it is standardized
> and has multiple implementations. CLG may be another good choice, and
> I have heard that Garnet has some interesting features.

[...]

Right now I just want to get CLX working. But CLIM looks interesting,
too. And as I never did X11 programming it is quite irrelevant as I
have to learn both. :)

Regards,
Julian

From: Marco Antoniotti
Julian Stecklina <··········@web.de> writes:

> Brian P Templeton <···@tunes.org> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > I know of a few GUI libraries for CL:
> >  - CLX (= Xlib)
> >  - CLUE/CLIO
> >  - CLG
> >  - CLIM (McCLIM, etc)
> >  - Garnet
> >  - CLM
> > I recommend CLIM if you have the time to learn it - it is standardized
> > and has multiple implementations. CLG may be another good choice, and
> > I have heard that Garnet has some interesting features.
>
> [...]
>
> Right now I just want to get CLX working. But CLIM looks interesting,
> too. And as I never did X11 programming it is quite irrelevant as I
> have to learn both. :)

I do not understand.  CLX comes pre installed in most UNIX
implementations.  Which one are you using that is causing you so much
trouble?

From: Julian Stecklina
Marco Antoniotti <·······@cs.nyu.edu> writes:

[...]

> > Right now I just want to get CLX working. But CLIM looks interesting,
> > too. And as I never did X11 programming it is quite irrelevant as I
> > have to learn both. :)
>
> I do not understand.  CLX comes pre installed in most UNIX
> implementations.  Which one are you using that is causing you so much
> trouble?

[...]

I use the CLX version from CLOCC distribution. But it does everything
but work... See my other posting about CLX. I would be the happiest
man on earth if someone provided me with a working cmucl init file
that gets somehow CLX working.

Or perhaps someone can tell me, if the clx.system file in
*clocc-root*/src/gui/clx is just wrong or am I just plain to stupid to
use it. ;)

Regards,
Julian

From: Marco Antoniotti
Julian Stecklina <··········@web.de> writes:

> Marco Antoniotti <·······@cs.nyu.edu> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > > Right now I just want to get CLX working. But CLIM looks interesting,
> > > too. And as I never did X11 programming it is quite irrelevant as I
> > > have to learn both. :)
> >
> > I do not understand.  CLX comes pre installed in most UNIX
> > implementations.  Which one are you using that is causing you so much
> > trouble?
>
> [...]
>
> I use the CLX version from CLOCC distribution. But it does everything
> but work... See my other posting about CLX. I would be the happiest
> man on earth if someone provided me with a working cmucl init file
> that gets somehow CLX working.
>
> Or perhaps someone can tell me, if the clx.system file in
> *clocc-root*/src/gui/clx is just wrong or am I just plain to stupid to
> use it. ;)

I meant, which CL implementation are you using.

From: Julian Stecklina
Marco Antoniotti <·······@cs.nyu.edu> writes:

[...]

> I meant, which CL implementation are you using.

CMUCL on my desktop computer and CLISP on my laptop. And my laptop
doesn't run a X server, so there is no problem.

The CMUCL issue just got solved. Thanks again. :)

Regards,
Julian

From: Paolo Amoroso
On 14 Feb 2002 11:24:01 -0500, Marco Antoniotti <·······@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:

> Julian Stecklina <··········@web.de> writes:
[...]
> > I use the CLX version from CLOCC distribution. But it does everything
> > but work... See my other posting about CLX. I would be the happiest
[...]
> > Or perhaps someone can tell me, if the clx.system file in
> > *clocc-root*/src/gui/clx is just wrong or am I just plain to stupid to
> > use it. ;)
>
> I meant, which CL implementation are you using.

Marco, Edmund: I think that Julian is referring to the CLX version for CMU
CL--and possibly other implementations--maintained by Peter Van Eynde as
part of CLOCC. If so, recall that its `.system' definition is probably
based on the CLC (Common Lisp Controller) conventions.

Paolo
http://www.paoloamoroso.it/ency/README
[http://cvs2.cons.org:8000/cmucl/doc/EncyCMUCLopedia/]
From: Julian Stecklina
Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it> writes:

[...]

> Marco, Edmund: I think that Julian is referring to the CLX version for CMU
> CL--and possibly other implementations--maintained by Peter Van Eynde as
> part of CLOCC. If so, recall that its `.system' definition is probably
> based on the CLC (Common Lisp Controller) conventions.

Ok. That would explain the situation. But the problem is already
solved by using CMUCL's CLX version.

By the way: Does someone have documentation on how to use CMU CL's
Motif bindings? I searched the CMU CL docs, but without success.

Only problems.... :)

Regards,
Julian
From: Dr. Edmund Weitz
Julian Stecklina <··········@web.de> writes:

> By the way: Does someone have documentation on how to use CMU CL's
> Motif bindings? I searched the CMU CL docs, but without success.

Have you checked Paolo's EncyCMUCLopedia? It currently is at

  <http://www.paoloamoroso.it/ency/README>

and includes the CLM manual and much more.

Edi.

--

Dr. Edmund Weitz
Hamburg

The Common Lisp Cookbook
<http://agharta.de/cookbook/>
From: Julian Stecklina
···@agharta.de (Dr. Edmund Weitz) writes:

> Julian Stecklina <··········@web.de> writes:
>
> > By the way: Does someone have documentation on how to use CMU CL's
> > Motif bindings? I searched the CMU CL docs, but without success.
>
> Have you checked Paolo's EncyCMUCLopedia? It currently is at
>
>   <http://www.paoloamoroso.it/ency/README>
>
> and includes the CLM manual and much more.

Arg. :) I already have it on disk.... I shouldn't be online so
late... I obviuosly missed CLM in the index...

Thanks.

Regards,
Julian - gone for coffee
From: Dr. Edmund Weitz
Julian Stecklina <··········@web.de> writes:

> Marco Antoniotti <·······@cs.nyu.edu> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > > Right now I just want to get CLX working. But CLIM looks
> > > interesting, too. And as I never did X11 programming it is quite
> > > irrelevant as I have to learn both. :)
> >
> > I do not understand.  CLX comes pre installed in most UNIX
> > implementations.  Which one are you using that is causing you so
> > much trouble?
>
> [...]
>
> I use the CLX version from CLOCC distribution. But it does
> everything but work... See my other posting about CLX. I would be
> the happiest man on earth if someone provided me with a working
> cmucl init file that gets somehow CLX working.
>
> Or perhaps someone can tell me, if the clx.system file in
> *clocc-root*/src/gui/clx is just wrong or am I just plain to stupid
> to use it. ;)

As Marco Antoniotti said: CLX comes pre-installed with most Unix/Linux
CL implementations, especially with CMUCL. The CLX library is part of
the usual binary CMUCL distributions[1] and you don't have to build it
yourself.

A line like

  (load "library:subsystems/clx-library" :verbose nil)

in your .cmucl-init file should suffice.

HTH,
Edi.

[1] See for example
    <ftp://ftp.averillpark.net/cmucl/release/18c>. You'll need the
    'extra' tarball and probably the 'motifd-motif2x' tarball as well.

--

Dr. Edmund Weitz
Hamburg

The Common Lisp Cookbook
<http://agharta.de/cookbook/>
From: Pierre R. Mai
···@agharta.de (Dr. Edmund Weitz) writes:

> As Marco Antoniotti said: CLX comes pre-installed with most Unix/Linux
> CL implementations, especially with CMUCL. The CLX library is part of
> the usual binary CMUCL distributions[1] and you don't have to build it
> yourself.
>
> A line like
>
>   (load "library:subsystems/clx-library" :verbose nil)
>
> in your .cmucl-init file should suffice.

Indeed, CLX is a maintained part of CMU CL, and hence should probably
be preferred over the generic CLX stuff.  CMU CL also contains
extensions to generic CLX, e.g. support for xauth-style authorization
handling.

Starting from the 18d release, you should also be able to just do

(require :clx)

instead of the above.  The require form will also work correctly with
cores that come with CLX pre-loaded.

> [1] See for example
>     <ftp://ftp.averillpark.net/cmucl/release/18c>. You'll need the
>     'extra' tarball and probably the 'motifd-motif2x' tarball as well.

Only if you also want to use CMU CL/Motif, _and_ only have Motif 2.x
shared libs installed (which is usually only the case if you use
OpenMotif.  Both LessTif and commercial Motif licences usually come
with 1.x and 2.x libs).

Regs, Pierre.

--
Pierre R. Mai <····@acm.org>                    http://www.pmsf.de/pmai/
 We cause accidents.                           -- Nathaniel Borenstein
From: Julian Stecklina
"Pierre R. Mai" <····@acm.org> writes:

> ···@agharta.de (Dr. Edmund Weitz) writes:
>
> > As Marco Antoniotti said: CLX comes pre-installed with most Unix/Linux
> > CL implementations, especially with CMUCL. The CLX library is part of
> > the usual binary CMUCL distributions[1] and you don't have to build it
> > yourself.
> >
> > A line like
> >
> >   (load "library:subsystems/clx-library" :verbose nil)
> >
> > in your .cmucl-init file should suffice.
>
> Indeed, CLX is a maintained part of CMU CL, and hence should probably
> be preferred over the generic CLX stuff.  CMU CL also contains
> extensions to generic CLX, e.g. support for xauth-style authorization
> handling.
>
> Starting from the 18d release, you should also be able to just do
>
> (require :clx)
>
> instead of the above.  The require form will also work correctly with
> cores that come with CLX pre-loaded.

[...]

The CMUCL port for FreeBSD is still at version 18c, but I just read the
description claiming that "Optional packages for graphical user
interfaces" can be found on an ftp.... Sorry, but I missed to read
this, since I only concentrated on the man page.

I will investigate that. :) Thanks.

Regards,
Julian

From: Pierre R. Mai
Julian Stecklina <··········@web.de> writes:

> "Pierre R. Mai" <····@acm.org> writes:

> > Starting from the 18d release, you should also be able to just do
> >
> > (require :clx)
> >
> > instead of the above.  The require form will also work correctly with
> > cores that come with CLX pre-loaded.
>
> [...]
>
> The CMUCL port for FreeBSD is still at version 18c, but I just read the
> description claiming that "Optional packages for graphical user
> interfaces" can be found on an ftp.... Sorry, but I missed to read
> this, since I only concentrated on the man page.

Sorry for being a bit unclear:  All ports of CMUCL are at 18c, since
the 18d release has yet to happen, but since it is more or less
imminent, I wanted to give this tid-bit of information.

Regs, Pierre.

From: Janis Dzerins
Julian Stecklina <··········@web.de> writes:

> Marco Antoniotti <·······@cs.nyu.edu> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > > Right now I just want to get CLX working. But CLIM looks interesting,
> > > too. And as I never did X11 programming it is quite irrelevant as I
> > > have to learn both. :)
> >
> > I do not understand.  CLX comes pre installed in most UNIX
> > implementations.  Which one are you using that is causing you so much
> > trouble?
>
> [...]
>
> I use the CLX version from CLOCC distribution. But it does everything
> but work... See my other posting about CLX. I would be the happiest
> man on earth if someone provided me with a working cmucl init file
> that gets somehow CLX working.

(require 'cmucl-clx) did the trick for me.

--
Janis Dzerins

  Eat shit -- billions of flies can't be wrong.
From: Julian Stecklina
Janis Dzerins <·····@latnet.lv> writes:

[...]

> > I use the CLX version from CLOCC distribution. But it does everything
> > but work... See my other posting about CLX. I would be the happiest
> > man on earth if someone provided me with a working cmucl init file
> > that gets somehow CLX working.
>
> (require 'cmucl-clx) did the trick for me.

I downloaded the extra tarball of CMUCL and now have CLX and CLM
(hmm.. no documentation). I also got CLX with CLISP from FreeBSD ports
tree working (why can't it be enabled per default...).

Regards,
Julian