From: Marc Battyani
Subject: [Announce] CL-PDF 0.41 (The Common Lisp PDF Library)
09 February 2002: Release 0.41

-Added internal PDF stream compression for LW and ACL
The ACL zlib FFI binding was sent to me by Alberto Riva, but I don't have
ACL so I can't test it. Send me corrections if needed. I only tested my LW
binding.
It would be great for users of the other popular implementations to generate
compressed PDF files too. So please, send me FFI binding for CMUCL, CLISP,
Corman Lisp, etc. There is only 1 function to FLI.

-Added arcs functions (look at pdf-geom.lisp for details)
Eduardo Mu�oz sent me arc functions, including a rounded polyline!
Arcs example:
http://www.fractalconcept.com/fcweb/download/ex6.pdf

I'm sure lots of people don't know what to do this WE...
Contact me, I will propose you some fun, easy and small graphic functions to
write in Lisp... ;-)

Marc

CL-PDF is a Common Lisp PDF Library for generating PDF files.

You will find it here:
www.fractalconcept.com/asp/html/cl-pdf.html

It is released with a BSD style license so it's usable for commercial work.

It it how it looks:

(pdf:with-document ()
    (pdf:with-page ()
      (let ((helvetica (make-instance 'pdf:font)))
 (pdf:add-fonts-to-page helvetica)
 (pdf:in-text-mode
  (pdf:set-font helvetica 36.0)
  (pdf:move-text 100 800)
  (pdf:draw-text "cl-pdf: Example 1"))
 (pdf:translate 230 500)
 (loop repeat 101
       for i = 0.67 then (* i 1.045)
       do (pdf:in-text-mode
    (pdf:set-font helvetica i)
    (pdf:move-text (* i 3) 0)
    (pdf:draw-text "rotation"))
       (pdf:rotate 18))))
    (pdf:write-document file))

=> gives this > http://www.fractalconcept.com/fcweb/download/ex1.pdf

Before writing it, I was rather impressed by the size of the PDF
documentation. After writing it I'm really impressed by Common Lisp. As you
will see, the library is quite small, yet really powerful.

So enjoy it and send me some great looking PDF files to put in a gallery on
the web site.

I also think that it's an opportunity to open several sub projects.

1) Finishing CL-PDF:

1.1- In CL-PDF I open the file for writing with a LW specific option to open
it with no CR/LF translation.
I would need the different versions of doing this on other implementation
running on Windows.

1.2-Compression : If someone would like to FLI the zlib compression, I could
integrate it to generate compressed PDF files. I can't do it alone as it has
to be done for several implementations to be useful.

2) Building utility layers on top of CL-PDF to turn it as a really powerful
drawing publication platform. I'm willing to coordinate and drive this
effort but I haven't the time to do it alone.

2.1-Basic Graphic primitives build on top of PDF : Arc, ellipse, round rect,
etc.

2.2- Higher level Graphic functions. ie Functions to draw : axis, lin/log
scales, barcodes etc.
(OK all this exists but it's not always very good and does not always do
what you want.)

2.3-Text layout functions (well not a full Tex but at least writing text in
a box for instance)

2.4-CL-TeX: Well here I'm kidding but not completely ;-)

3) CL-PDF Logo like layer for kids. I have teach Logo at a local school
where my sons go but I've found that Logo was great to start but a deceptive
one after a while. A CL-PDF Logo could lead to extremely good quality
drawings. I definitively think that's a way to explore.

Feedback welcomed.

Marc
From: Marc Battyani
Subject: Re: [Announce] CL-PDF 0.41 (The Common Lisp PDF Library)
"Marc Battyani" <·············@fractalconcept.com> wrote

> 09 February 2002: Release 0.41
>
> -Added internal PDF stream compression for LW and ACL
> The ACL zlib FFI binding was sent to me by Alberto Riva, but I don't have
> ACL so I can't test it. Send me corrections if needed. I only tested my LW
> binding.
> It would be great for users of the other popular implementations to
generate
> compressed PDF files too. So please, send me FFI binding for CMUCL, CLISP,
> Corman Lisp, etc. There is only 1 function to FLI.

Edmund Weitz sent me a CMUCL FFI binding for the compression.
The ACL code is being debugged

CLISP, Corman Lisp anyone ?

BTW I also need the external formats to use to open PDF files, if different
than :default

Marc