From: Dr. Edmund Weitz
Subject: The Common Lisp Cookbook is online - call for help
(If you don't know what I'm talking about, see this thread

  <http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=m3it9soz3m.fsf%40bird.agharta.de>

for details.)

Well, I almost got carried away by my attempts to build a wonderful
technical foundation for the Cookbook on the basis of AllegroServe,
mod_lisp, IMHO, Araneida, UncommonSQL, and probably also my own
home-grown template library. Luckily, Alberto Riva came to the rescue,
sent a first chapter about dates and numbers and urged me to start
publishing the stuff although it might currently be in a rough state.

So here we are, I hacked together another chapter (about strings) and
put the stuff online at

  <http://agharta.de/cookbook/>

(It is also linked from CLiki in case you're short of bookmarks.)

What we need, of course, are people who contribute more stuff. Please
help us out and send your stuff to my email address.

Also, while I think it is a good idea that the Cookbook will be mainly
written by newbies, I'd like to ask the experts to take a quick glance
from time to time and provide corrections, additions or style hints. I
can only offer eternal fame (which you probably already have) but
maybe it simply makes you feel good to help... :)

Thanks in advance,
Edi.

From: see.signature
Subject: Re: The Common Lisp Cookbook is online
On 05 Feb 2002 12:18:52 +0100, Dr. Edmund Weitz <···@agharta.de> wrote:

>So here we are, I hacked together another chapter (about strings) and
>put the stuff online at
>
>  <http://agharta.de/cookbook/>

sorry to tell you, but my lynx browser has problems displaying this web
page. (due to charset)

Marc

email: marc dot hoffmann at users dot whh dot wau dot nl
From: Dr. Edmund Weitz
······@No-Such-Domain.anywhere (see.signature) writes:

> On 05 Feb 2002 12:18:52 +0100, Dr. Edmund Weitz <···@agharta.de> wrote:
>
> >So here we are, I hacked together another chapter (about strings) and
> >put the stuff online at
> >
> >  <http://agharta.de/cookbook/>
> >
> sorry to tell you, but my lynx browser has problems displaying this web
> page. (due to charset)

Yeah, that was ISO-8859-15 which is required if you want to have the
new EURO symbol and is needed for other parts of the server. I've
changed it for the cookbook and it should work now, but you should
upgrade your system... :)

Edi.
From: Thaddeus L Olczyk
From: Dr. Edmund Weitz
······@interaccess.com (Thaddeus L Olczyk) writes:

> I think you're asking for a lot of trouble if you keep the "update
> by email" part for very long.  You're focus for now should be to
> create an update feature and get that running as smooth as possible,
> as quickly as possible. Never mind the rest of the stuff. If you
> don't get this running soon, all you will be doing is responding to
> emails.

Thanks for the great tip, but I'm grown-up and can usually take care
of myself. (If I encounter any problems, I'll ask my wife... :)

If this thing will _really_ flood my mailbox in a couple of days, I
consider it a big success and I will be able to hack an interactive
solution in a couple of hours, no worries. Currently, my mailserver
can still handle the load.

Thanks for caring,
Ed.
From: synthespian
In article <··············@bird.agharta.de>, ···@agharta.de (Dr. Edmund Weitz) wrote:
> (If you don't know what I'm talking about, see this thread
>
>   <http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=m3it9soz3m.fsf%40bird.agharta.de>
>
> for details.)
>
> Well, I almost got carried away by my attempts to build a wonderful
> technical foundation for the Cookbook on the basis of AllegroServe,
> mod_lisp, IMHO, Araneida, UncommonSQL, and probably also my own
> home-grown template library. Luckily, Alberto Riva came to the rescue,
> sent a first chapter about dates and numbers and urged me to start
> publishing the stuff although it might currently be in a rough state.
>
> So here we are, I hacked together another chapter (about strings) and
> put the stuff online at
>
>   <http://agharta.de/cookbook/>
>
> (It is also linked from CLiki in case you're short of bookmarks.)
>
> What we need, of course, are people who contribute more stuff. Please
> help us out and send your stuff to my email address.
>
> Also, while I think it is a good idea that the Cookbook will be mainly
> written by newbies, I'd like to ask the experts to take a quick glance
> from time to time and provide corrections, additions or style hints. I
> can only offer eternal fame (which you probably already have) but
> maybe it simply makes you feel good to help... :)
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Edi.

Edi-

	Why didn't you upload it in CLiki? That way, it would be easier for people to contribute.
	And another thing: do you expect people to contribute to your project without giving them any garantee that you won't make money with their effort?
	I don't mean to say you have unethical intentions, but that wasn't clear in your post. I mean, I won't even contribute, beacause I'm no expert, but...Why should I care? Because I think it's important to have free documentaion for everything.
	Don't you think you should sort out these matters first?
	Why don't you release it with an open license (GPL)?

	Regs
	synthespian
From: Brian P Templeton
synthespian <···········@uol.com.br> writes:

> In article <··············@bird.agharta.de>, ···@agharta.de (Dr. Edmund Weitz) wrote:
>> (If you don't know what I'm talking about, see this thread
>>
>>   <http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=m3it9soz3m.fsf%40bird.agharta.de>
>>
>> for details.)
>>
>> Well, I almost got carried away by my attempts to build a wonderful
>> technical foundation for the Cookbook on the basis of AllegroServe,
>> mod_lisp, IMHO, Araneida, UncommonSQL, and probably also my own
>> home-grown template library. Luckily, Alberto Riva came to the rescue,
>> sent a first chapter about dates and numbers and urged me to start
>> publishing the stuff although it might currently be in a rough state.
>>
>> So here we are, I hacked together another chapter (about strings) and
>> put the stuff online at
>>
>>   <http://agharta.de/cookbook/>
>>
>> (It is also linked from CLiki in case you're short of bookmarks.)
>>
>> What we need, of course, are people who contribute more stuff. Please
>> help us out and send your stuff to my email address.
>>
>> Also, while I think it is a good idea that the Cookbook will be mainly
>> written by newbies, I'd like to ask the experts to take a quick glance
>> from time to time and provide corrections, additions or style hints. I
>> can only offer eternal fame (which you probably already have) but
>> maybe it simply makes you feel good to help... :)
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Edi.
>>
> Edi-
>
> 	Why didn't you upload it in CLiki? That way, it would be easier for people to contribute.
> 	And another thing: do you expect people to contribute to your project without giving them any garantee that you won't make money with their effort?
I don't care if he makes money off of it[�], but I wouldn't want to
contribute unless it was released under a free license of some sort
that, at the least, allowed redistribution and approved translations
into other languages or formats (e.g. LaTeX), and IMHO something such
as the GFDL would be more appropriate. (I wouldn't contribute to it if
it was released under a proprietary license, most likely.)

> 	I don't mean to say you have unethical intentions, but that wasn't clear in your post. I mean, I won't even contribute, beacause I'm no expert, but...Why should I care? Because I think it's important to have free documentaion for everything.
> 	Don't you think you should sort out these matters first?
> 	Why don't you release it with an open license (GPL)?
>
> 	Regs
> 	synthespian

Footnotes:
[�] In fact, I hope he makes some money off of a printed version,
    though perhaps with annotations (something like _Metamagical
    Themas_'s Post Scripta, maybe), and perhaps some of the profits
    could be donated to the ALU or another CL-related organization.

Regards,
--
BPT <···@tunes.org>	    		/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
backronym for Linux:			\ / No HTML or RTF in mail
From: Dr. Edmund Weitz
Brian P Templeton <···@tunes.org> writes:

> I don't care if he makes money off of it[�], but I wouldn't want to
> contribute unless it was released under a free license of some sort
> that, at the least, allowed redistribution and approved translations
> into other languages or formats (e.g. LaTeX), and IMHO something
> such as the GFDL would be more appropriate. (I wouldn't contribute
> to it if it was released under a proprietary license, most likely.)

I postponed the license question because I wasn't very keen on
fiddling around with juridical questions. As nobody volunteered to do
it and there have been no replies to my initial c.l.l posting, I just
proposed the FreeBSD documentation license
<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ln16.html>
(approved by the FSF) to the people who've contributed to the cookbook
so far. If you think that there are significant reasons to use the
GFDL instead, please let us know soon. (I'm not an expert in these
issues and I don't want to be one.)

Thanks,
Edi.

--

Dr. Edmund Weitz
Hamburg

The Common Lisp Cookbook
<http://agharta.de/cookbook/>
From: Hartmann Schaffer
In article <··············@bird.agharta.de>,
	···@agharta.de (Dr. Edmund Weitz) writes:
> Brian P Templeton <···@tunes.org> writes:
>
>> I don't care if he makes money off of it[�], but I wouldn't want to
>> contribute unless it was released under a free license of some sort
>> that, at the least, allowed redistribution and approved translations
>> into other languages or formats (e.g. LaTeX), and IMHO something
>> such as the GFDL would be more appropriate. (I wouldn't contribute
>> to it if it was released under a proprietary license, most likely.)
>
> I postponed the license question because I wasn't very keen on
> fiddling around with juridical questions. As nobody volunteered to do
> it and there have been no replies to my initial c.l.l posting, I just
> proposed the FreeBSD documentation license
> <http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ln16.html>
> (approved by the FSF) to the people who've contributed to the cookbook
> so far. If you think that there are significant reasons to use the
> GFDL instead, please let us know soon. (I'm not an expert in these
> issues and I don't want to be one.)

i don't have the URL at hand (if needed i can try to locate it over
the weekend), but there is (or was) a site that did something similar
for mathematics (at least i think it was math), and they ran into some
legal problems when they got a publisher to print a snapshot.

hs

--

how are we defending our freedom and democracy by dismantling them?
From: Doug McNaught
··@heaven.nirvananet (Hartmann Schaffer) writes:

> i don't have the URL at hand (if needed i can try to locate it over
> the weekend), but there is (or was) a site that did something similar
> for mathematics (at least i think it was math), and they ran into some
> legal problems when they got a publisher to print a snapshot.

I'm pretty sure it was the MathWorld guy.  He signed a contract with a
publisher for a hardcopy version of his site, and didn't read the fine
print--got badly reamed.

Moral: get a lawyer to review your contracts.  ;)

-Doug
From: Erik Max Francis
Doug McNaught wrote:

> I'm pretty sure it was the MathWorld guy.  He signed a contract with a
> publisher for a hardcopy version of his site, and didn't read the fine
> print--got badly reamed.
>
> Moral: get a lawyer to review your contracts.  ;)

The full story is here:

	http://mathworld.wolfram.com/erics_commentary.html

--
 Erik Max Francis / ···@alcyone.com / http://www.alcyone.com/max/