From: ···········@cley.com
Subject: Symbolics NXP1000 seeks good home
I have one of these machines.  It's basically Symbolics (Ivory)
machine which has no screen but displays over X (so you need to have X
to use it, as well as possibly a serial-line-based terminal emulator
to talk to the FEP before it comes up).  It has 8MW memory and the
floating point unit.  I have a distribution of Genera 8.3 on CDROM and
all the manuals (which are in storage, and very heavy, so you might
not want them as the online stuff is fine).

What is does *not* have is a disk.  It has a scsi interface but I
think it may be a bit restrictive about what drive types it will use
(it was most recently using a seagate ST39175LW 9GB drive, and has
talked to various oldish CDROM drives, I could probably actually throw
in an old Sun drive which works with it).  The real problem is that,
as far as I know, you need deep magic to format a drive for it, and I
don't have that magic.  The reason I'm selling it in fact is largely
that its disk got recycled so I can't use it any more.  So unless you
*know* how to build a disk for it, you might not want it.

It is the size of a large pizza-box workstation - maybe the same size
as a SUn 3/50 or 3/60.  It was working very recently but I can't test
it easily now as the disk is gone.

It's pretty slow of course, but on the other hand pretty cool.

Because the company owns it and it's not fully depreciated (or
something, I don't understand this stuff), we need to get about L80
for it (probably + VAT).  And the buyer needs to pay shipping, which
will be non-trivial unless you are in the UK.

Please *mail* me any notes of interest.

Thanks

--tim

From: Rainer Joswig
Subject: Re: Symbolics NXP1000 seeks good home
···········@cley.com wrote in message news:<···············@cley.com>...

> in an old Sun drive which works with it).  The real problem is that,
> as far as I know, you need deep magic to format a drive for it, and I
> don't have that magic.  The reason I'm selling it in fact is largely
> that its disk got recycled so I can't use it any more.  So unless you
> *know* how to build a disk for it, you might not want it.

if you have a CDROM drive and a Genera 8.3 CDROM, you should be
able to set up the disk, loading the FEP kernel from
the CDROM. Two points to look at:

- the disk must be able to be low-level (!) formatted to Symbolics'
  non-standard disk block size (many Seagate disks will do fine).

- the old FEP kernel has problems with SCSI disks larger than
  4GB. With the latest FEP kernel it seems to be possible
  to use for example a 9GB disk on a NXP1000 - I have one
  running.

Anyway, to bring the machine up, you will need a terminal to
connect to the machine and some knowledge about the FEP
stuff . Printed docs may help, unless you have a machine with
online docs...
From: medve
I am interested in buying the NXP1000 (have already send you an
private E-Mail
but I didn't recieve an answer yet) Only have the Question about the
"L80" you mean 80 pounds? and how much would the shipping cost me (I
live in Switzerland) I look forward to hearing from you.

From: John Paul Wallington
················@exxonmobil.com (medve) wrote:

> I am interested in buying the NXP1000 (have already send you an
> private E-Mail but I didn't recieve an answer yet)

Same here.

--
John Paul Wallington
From: medve
John Paul Wallington <···@shootybangbang.com> wrote in message news:<··············@bundalo.shootybangbang.com>...
> ················@exxonmobil.com (medve) wrote:
>
> > I am interested in buying the NXP1000 (have already send you an
> > private E-Mail but I didn't recieve an answer yet)
>
> Same here.

I am curios how far I will go to get it
I would say happy bidding :)
From: Tim Bradshaw
···········@cley.com wrote in message news:<···············@cley.com>...
> Please *mail* me any notes of interest.

And I posted this 2 days before being away from my mail for a week,
cretin that I am.  I will respond to any mail but not before next
week.  Sorry!

--tim