From: Arthur T. Murray
Subject: Re: Request Ideas for LISP companion book for Russell & Norvig

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bookSearch/isbnInquiry.asp?ISBN=0137903952

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bookSearch/isbnInquiry.asp?ISBN=0595259227

http://mind.sourceforge.net/lisp.html -- combined with "AI4U" from
http://www.iuniverse.com/bookstore/book_detail.asp?isbn=0595259227

> I.e., demonstrate the implementation of many AI concepts and
> have problems that would investigate those concepts using LISP.

AIMA + AI4U = GOFAI

> Thanks,
>
> Gary Livingston
>
> ····@cs.uml.edu

[ comp.ai is moderated.  To submit, just post and be patient, or if ]
[ that fails mail your article to <·······@moderators.isc.org>, and ]
[ ask your news administrator to fix the problems with your system. ]

From: Oleg
Arthur T. Murray wrote:

> Gary Livingston <····@bert.cs.pitt.edu> writes on 20 Dec 2002:
>>
>> Gang,
>>
>> I will be teaching AI in the spring using the Russell & Norvig text,

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bookSearch/isbnInquiry.asp?ISBN=0137903952

>> which will be great for teaching AI concepts,

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bookSearch/isbnInquiry.asp?ISBN=0595259227

>> but I'd also like to teach them LISP,
>> which is not used in Russell & Norvig
>> (or maybe I missed it somehow).
>>
>> Is there a good indroductory LISP book which would make
>> a good "companion" book to an AI course?
>
> http://mind.sourceforge.net/lisp.html -- combined with "AI4U" from
> http://www.iuniverse.com/bookstore/book_detail.asp?isbn=0595259227
>
>> I.e., demonstrate the implementation of many AI concepts and
>> have problems that would investigate those concepts using LISP.
>>
> AIMA + AI4U = GOFAI
>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Gary Livingston
>>
>> ····@cs.uml.edu

I agree wholeheartedly. ASCII diagrams, pages left intentionally blank,
collections of USENET acronyms and manuals for nonexistent software
combined in one succinct tome entitled AI4U make a great teaching tool!

Oleg
From: Arthur T. Murray
Oleg Neizvestny wrote on Fri, 20 Dec 2002:

> [...] I agree wholeheartedly. ASCII diagrams,

http://mentifex.virtualentity.com/hci.html "Human-Computer Interaction"
uses an ASCII digram not only for Chapter 3 on the HCI but also for
the front cover, so that anybody walking by your desk or coffee table
will notice the intriguing brain-mind diagram and admire your genius.

> pages left intentionally blank,

http://books.iuniverse.com/viewbooks.asp?isbn=0595259227&page=1 must
start on a right-side page, so the previous page was left blank :-)

> collections of USENET acronyms

Neophyte AI programmers will come up to speed on Usenet by studying
http://books.iuniverse.com/viewbooks.asp?isbn=0595259227&page=fm13

http://mentifex.futureai.com/jsaimind.html -- Click on "Manual";
http://mentifex.virtualentity.com/jsaimind.html -- "Programmer's"
http://www.seedai.e-mind.org/jsaimind.html -- Click "User manual"

> combined in one succinct tome entitled AI4U

AI4U joins the proud tradition of 4-letter AI textbooks as in
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aima-talk/messages -- AIMA-Talk.

> make a great teaching tool!
>
> Oleg

Thank you, Oleg, and thank-you to all who buy the AI4U textbook.

Arthur T. Murray
--
http://mind.sourceforge.net/lisp.html -- Lisp for AI Textbook Software;
http://www.bookcrossing.com/mybookshelf/Mentifex/ "Spreading AI4U"
From: faust
 Oleg <············@myrealbox.com> ,  emitted these fragments:

>> http://mind.sourceforge.net/lisp.html -- combined with "AI4U" from
>> http://www.iuniverse.com/bookstore/book_detail.asp?isbn=0595259227

Isnt that one of those vanity publishers ?

Come see,
real flowers
of this pain-filled world.

(from Basho)
From: Arthur T. Murray
We congratulate the hard-working authors of AIMA
on the illustrious publication of their second edition
and we recommend AI4U as a companion AI experimentation manual.

AIMA teaches the in-depth background of artificial intelligence,
while AI4U, newly published in November of 2002, introduces an
abstract AI theory of mind and its implementation in primitive
http://www.mentifex.virtualentity.com/jsaimind.html AI software.

In co-operation with the senior AIMA textbook, AI4U is a junior
AI textbook available by print-on-demand (POD) from its publisher at
http://www.iuniverse.com/bookstore/book_detail.asp?isbn=0595259227 or
from Barnes and Noble among the wide gamut of general AI textbooks at
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bookSearch/isbnInquiry.asp?ISBN=0595259227 .

When you have obtained the second edition of AIMA,
if you no longer need your copy of the first edition,
please consider releasing it into the wild as a runaway
http://www.bookcrossing.com/search/?isbn=0131038052 book.

If you find AI4U worthy of memetic propagation, please
consider its minimal price as a shareware donation and
release your first or second copy into the wild as an AI
http://www.bookcrossing.com/search/?isbn=0595259227 manual.