From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: Is it Cello?
Not yet, but I just ported what there is to FreeGlut, which solves the
dread MainLoop problem (close a window, close down Lisp) and the even
more deadly licensing issue (I had a Glut that was cool with Lisp, but
it was just a hack of the original, tightly-restricted GLUT.

So now we can escape the sole reamining Glut issue (some Lisps cannot do
callbacks) by hacking FG even further to /return/ an Event structure
rather than execute a callback, bringing into the game any Lisp that can
call "C".

btw, I decided down is definitely up, at least for those of us who read
down the page. not just because of text, tho: probably because of the
way re read, we also have our tool bars at the top of a window, or down
the left hand side. Content appears in a pane glued bottom-right.

Given all that, resizing a window where up meant increasing positive
coordinates would mean /moving/ the tool bar. Illogical. QED.

the very cool thing here is: look ma, no Windoze or vendor-specific
packages are being used. that will collapse when I add OS-specific code
to get funky with fonts, but I'll talk to the FreeGlutters about doing
it in that domain. oh, and Freeglut is not for Mac OS X yet, but Apple
/does/ have a GLUT for OS X, so there is likely an easy enough way to
get FG over there.

--

  kenny tilton
  clinisys, inc

From: Raymond Toy
Subject: Re: Is it Cello?

    Kenny> btw, I decided down is definitely up, at least for those of us who
    Kenny> read down the page. not just because of text, tho: probably because of
    Kenny> the way re read, we also have our tool bars at the top of a window, or
    Kenny> down the left hand side. Content appears in a pane glued bottom-right.

    Kenny> Given all that, resizing a window where up meant increasing positive
    Kenny> coordinates would mean /moving/ the tool bar. Illogical. QED.

Ewww.  I hope that there will be transforms so that if I want the
standard mathematical coordinate system, I can get that without having
to do it all myself.

I usually want a gui only for plotting.

Ray
From: Kenny Tilton
Raymond Toy wrote:

>     Kenny> Given all that, resizing a window where up meant increasing positive
>     Kenny> coordinates would mean /moving/ the tool bar. Illogical. QED.
>
> Ewww.  I hope that there will be transforms so that if I want the
> standard mathematical coordinate system, I can get that without having
> to do it all myself.
>
> I usually want a gui only for plotting.

No problemo. Not only that, but you'll be able to plot 3D easily. Then
rotate the display in 3D (so we can compromise on this and have up go
sideways <g>). Zoom in and out. Viewing in perspective. Optionally.
Within a subpanel of a larger window imaged with a conventional 2d,
orthographic projection.

It's "OpenGL Inside", and as a long time heavy-duty GUI hound I am
totally stoked about that, not for typical 3d requirements (such as a 3d
plot) but just for insanely attractive 2d interfaces with 3d effects
(2+D? 2.2D?). And something tells we'll be able to do some wild stuff
with 3d widgets (just a hazy idea for now, no idea what just yet).

And this thing should just scream what with all the juice going into 3D
graphics cards these days. we are totalling milking the gaming energy.

From: Kenny Tilton
I forgot to mention that one of the FreeGlutters turned me on to:

    http://plib.sourceforge.net/pui/

...which is simply the C++ version of Cello. Small world. It too is
built atop Glut and OpenGL, which is why FreeGlut is getting attention.

From: thelifter
Since you are working on this GUI stuff,
maybe you should also take a read at:

http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1253

It is about Morphic a GUI from squeak(smalltalk dialect). It claims
superiority over the MVC(model view controller) paradigm.

Hope this helps...