From: Dorai Sitaram
Subject: CMUCL command-line options
I'm currently using

echo ... | exec lisp

but I suspect there may be some command-line
options to CMUCL that allow one to mention on the
command line files to be loaded and/or expressions to
be evaluated.  I haven't had any luck finding the
documentation for this in the EncyCMUCLopedia, the man
page, or by feeding --help, -h, and -? to the lisp
executable.  Any pointer to info in this regard will be
much appreciated.  Confirmation that echo'ing is the
only way to go is also ok.

(Disclaimer: I am not a savvy CMUCL user.  I just
need to make sure that end-users who configure a Scheme
package for CMUCL can use an automated configuration
process.)

From: Edi Weitz
Subject: Re: CMUCL command-line options
····@goldshoe.gte.com (Dorai Sitaram) writes:

> I'm currently using
>
> echo ... | exec lisp
>
> but I suspect there may be some command-line
> options to CMUCL that allow one to mention on the
> command line files to be loaded and/or expressions to
> be evaluated.  I haven't had any luck finding the
> documentation for this in the EncyCMUCLopedia, the man
> page, or by feeding --help, -h, and -? to the lisp
> executable.  Any pointer to info in this regard will be
> much appreciated.  Confirmation that echo'ing is the
> only way to go is also ok.

Are you sure you have the manpage installed? On my machine 'man lisp'
reveals (amongst other things):

       -core filename
                 Specifies the suspended Lisp image (or `core file')
                 to start up.  The default is `lib/lisp.core'.

       -eval expression
                 Evaluates the specified Lisp expression during the
                 start up sequence.  The value of the form will not be
                 printed unless it is wrapped in a form that does out-
                 put.

       -init filename
                 Specifies the name of a file containing user
                 customizations that is to be loaded each time Lisp
                 starts up (default ~/init or ~/.cmucl-init.)  The
                 loader loads any existing compiled binary, or the
                 ".lisp" source if none.

       -load filename
                 Loads the specified file into Lisp before entering
                 Lisp's read-eval-print loop.

One of these should do what you want. See also

  <http://cvs2.cons.org/ftp-area/cmucl/doc/cmu-user/introduction.html#toc2>
  (only two clicks away from CMUCL's main web page)

or

  doc/devenv/lisp.txt in the EncyCMUCLopedia.

Cheers,
Edi.
From: Dorai Sitaram
In article <··············@bird.agharta.de>, Edi Weitz  <···@agharta.de> wrote:
>····@goldshoe.gte.com (Dorai Sitaram) writes:
>
>> I'm currently using
>>
>> echo ... | exec lisp
>>
>> but I suspect there may be some command-line
>> options to CMUCL that allow one to mention on the
>> command line files to be loaded and/or expressions to
>> be evaluated.  I haven't had any luck finding the
>> documentation for this in the EncyCMUCLopedia, the man
>> page, or by feeding --help, -h, and -? to the lisp
>> executable.  Any pointer to info in this regard will be
>> much appreciated.  Confirmation that echo'ing is the
>> only way to go is also ok.
>
>Are you sure you have the manpage installed? On my machine 'man lisp'
>reveals (amongst other things):
>       -eval expression
>                 Evaluates the specified Lisp expression during the
>                 start up sequence.  The value of the form will not be
>                 printed unless it is wrapped in a form that does out-
>                 put.
>       -load filename
>                 Loads the specified file into Lisp before entering
>                 Lisp's read-eval-print loop.

Thanks Edi, and Andreas Hinze too.

I will check when I get back to my home Linux box: I
did get a substantial man page that was very obviously
about CMUCL that I read through, but I don't recall it
containing any command-line option info at all, let
alone these two.  But I'm sure it is just unfamiliar
package blinkiness on my part -- I've been there
before.

I had also tried --eval and --load (on analogy with
with SBCL, which is based on CMUCL), and just
didn't think to drop one of the hyphens.

Thanks again.
From: Edi Weitz
····@goldshoe.gte.com (Dorai Sitaram) writes:

> Thanks Edi, and Andreas Hinze too.
>
> I will check when I get back to my home Linux box: I did get a
> substantial man page that was very obviously about CMUCL that I read
> through, but I don't recall it containing any command-line option
> info at all, let alone these two.  But I'm sure it is just
> unfamiliar package blinkiness on my part -- I've been there before.

Slightly confusing: CMUCL comes with 'man cmucl' and 'man lisp' and
they're different. You probably looked at 'man cmucl'...

Cheers,
Edi.

PS: Although, at the end of 'man cmucl' there's the line

      SEE ALSO
             lisp(1), README

    I admit that I rarely ever read manpages that far... :)