From: ilya
Subject: lisp implemented in php ?
Hi.

I know it's weird question.
Is there any lispish language written in php ?

At my work i should write in php but i know
a little bit lisp and php looks like jail to me.

--
(lisp-newbie-p ilya) => t

From: Taylor Campbell
Subject: Re: lisp implemented in php ?
ilya wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I know it's weird question.
> Is there any lispish language written in php ?
>
> At my work i should write in php but i know
> a little bit lisp and php looks like jail to me.

There's PHPScheme, but I don't know much about it.  I believe it's in
Google's directory of Scheme implementations.
From: MJ Ray

More, it's in the Scheme FAQ at http://www.schemers.org/
From: Bruce Lewis
ilya <············@example.com> writes:

> At my work i should write in php but i know
> a little bit lisp and php looks like jail to me.

Chances are if they want you to write in PHP, they'll not want you to
use PHPScheme for the same reason, i.e. they want others to be able to
look at your code and see PHP syntax.

Go ahead and write PHP code for now, and learn to write it better and
faster than your peers.  Learn exactly what the pitfalls of PHP are, and
practice explaining those pitfalls clearly.  When you've developed a
reputation at work for being able to deliver, they'll listen more to
your opinions on choice of tools.
From: ilya
Bruce Lewis wrote:
> ilya <············@example.com> writes:
>

>>At my work i should write in php but i know
>>a little bit lisp and php looks like jail to me.
>

> Chances are if they want you to write in PHP, they'll not want you to
> use PHPScheme for the same reason, i.e. they want others to be able to
> look at your code and see PHP syntax.
Others - just my successors , i'm the only one doing all the PHP work
(all the dynamic pages).

> Go ahead and write PHP code for now, and learn to write it better and
> faster than your peers.  Learn exactly what the pitfalls of PHP are, and
> practice explaining those pitfalls clearly.  When you've developed a
Let's say i can.
> reputation at work for being able to deliver, they'll listen more to
> your opinions on choice of tools.

Tools... what (lispish) tools can i suggest for web (instead of PHP) ?
... assuming it have to use Apache web server , there several projects
written in PHP already...

They choose PHP because there are available programmers.
(and it seems to be apropriate langauge  , web -> php , right?)

Is it possible at all to convince _a_ boss to choose another
tool just because i'll do my job faster and better but
he might get into trouble when i leave ...

--
(lisp-newbie-p ilya) => t
From: Bruce Lewis
ilya <············@example.com> writes:

> Is it possible at all to convince _a_ boss to choose another
> tool just because i'll do my job faster and better but
> he might get into trouble when i leave ...

No.  You must also convince him that he won't get in trouble when you
leave.  It has to be demonstrably easy to bring others up to speed.
This may be tough if you're the only programmer there now.

However, if there's anyone else there open to learning new things, you
can't beat DrScheme as a language learning tool.

> Tools... what (lispish) tools can i suggest for web (instead of PHP) ?
> ... assuming it have to use Apache web server , there several projects
> written in PHP already...

My Beautiful Report Language (BRL) is a competitor to PHP.  For Apache,
it would mean installing tomcat or jetty.  This can be tricky, but
people do it.  BRL shines most when you're doing a lot of database
interaction.

--
<·······@[(if (brl-related? message)    ; Bruce R. Lewis
              "users.sourceforge.net"   ; http://brl.codesimply.net/
From: Marc Battyani
"ilya" <············@example.com> wrote

> Tools... what (lispish) tools can i suggest for web (instead of PHP) ?
> ... assuming it have to use Apache web server , there several projects
> written in PHP already...

mod_lisp of course ;-)

Marc