From: Dave Bakhash
Subject: Graham's book a collectible?
Hey,

I was on Amazon.com today, and saw this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0130305529/qid=1039363408/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/102-6114480-7888938?v=glance&s=books

Basically, it says that Graham's "On Lisp: Advanced Techniques for CL"
is going for $295 *used*.  There is no longer an option to buy it new,
of course.

If any of you guys need money and happen to have that book, then it
seems like now's a good time to auction it off.

I'm wishing I didn't give mine away..I'd sell it for $150 and make
someone happy :-)

dave

From: Frank A. Adrian
Subject: Re: Graham's book a collectible?
Dave Bakhash wrote:

> Basically, it says that Graham's "On Lisp: Advanced Techniques for CL"
> is going for $295 *used*.  There is no longer an option to buy it new,
> of course.
>
> If any of you guys need money and happen to have that book, then it
> seems like now's a good time to auction it off.

I'm just wondering why anyone would want to pay $295 for the dead tree
version when you can download it online for free.  Oh well, I guess it's a
status thing now.  So I guess I can hold mine 'til it gets up to $2950.

faa
From: Jim White
Frank A. Adrian wrote:
> Dave Bakhash wrote:
>
>>Basically, it says that Graham's "On Lisp: Advanced Techniques for CL"
>>is going for $295 *used*.  There is no longer an option to buy it new,
>>of course.
>>
>>If any of you guys need money and happen to have that book, then it
>>seems like now's a good time to auction it off.
>
> I'm just wondering why anyone would want to pay $295 for the dead tree
> version when you can download it online for free.  Oh well, I guess it's a
> status thing now.  So I guess I can hold mine 'til it gets up to $2950.

Hmmm, how about running the online version through iUniverse?  One copy
for $149 and then anyone who wanted could order it through Amazon (or
any other bookseller) for $20 each.

Jim
From: Will Deakin
Frank A. Adrian wrote:
> I'm just wondering why anyone would want to pay $295 for the dead tree
> version when you can download it online for free.
Look's like I'm off to the Antiques Roadshow next time they're in town.
(Strange bearded bloke: `Hmmm. Very interesting provenance. Ordered from
a small book shop in Scarborough.' (Mumbles into his beard a bit). `In a
collectors sale I could see this reaching UKL 150-200. For insurance and
replacement value I could see you needing to value it at 300...)

;)w
From: Bruce Hoult
In article <···············@nerd-xing.mit.edu>,
 Dave Bakhash <·····@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I was on Amazon.com today, and saw this:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0130305529/qid=1039363408/sr=1-2
> /ref=sr_1_2/102-6114480-7888938?v=glance&s=books
>
> Basically, it says that Graham's "On Lisp: Advanced Techniques for CL"
> is going for $295 *used*.  There is no longer an option to buy it new,
> of course.

So that's two I've got: _On Lisp_ (which was given to me by someone who
had trouble finding it and so bought three copies when they finally
tracked it down!) and Murry&Cox's _Apollo_ (which I bought in hardcover
for about $30).

I wonder what will be next?  1st Edition Booch?  GOF?  _BCPL: The
Language and its Implementation_

Oh!  I was at the Wellington library a few days ago and they had a
number of tables with books they didn't want any more, for 50c or $1
each.  I'd grabbed a Hypercard 2.2 manual but my SO found the mother
lode ... she came up and said "are you interested in this", holding a
copy of Bryan Higman's _A Comparative Study of Programming Languages_,
2nd Ed.  Originally published in 1967 and revised ten years later, I
think it gives a very interesting view into how programming languages
were thought about during a period when most of the ideas we are now
using were already on the table, in some form or another.

I read the book in about 1983, while at university, but hadn't seen a
copy since, and I'm interested to read it again to see how *I've*
changed since.

The section on Lisp (two pages) is quite interesting, with some examples
of M form.  I'll post them if there is interest.

-- Bruce
From: Frank A. Adrian
Bruce Hoult wrote:

> The section on Lisp (two pages) is quite interesting, with some examples
> of M form.  I'll post them if there is interest.

Please do!

faa