From: l
Subject: Winodws XP common lisp
To all,
Is there a consensus about what is a reasonably good downloadable version of
common lisp that runs on windows XP.

I would prefer free as I am only experimenting (learning) the language.
There is Allegro, but that is restricted to 60 Days, and it is a rather
large download on a 56k modem.

Any suggestions most welcome

Thanks
NOS

From: Geoffrey Summerhayes
Subject: Re: Winodws XP common lisp
"l" <·@l.com.au> wrote in message ······························@news.optusnet.com.au...
> To all,
> Is there a consensus about what is a reasonably good downloadable version of
> common lisp that runs on windows XP.
>
> I would prefer free as I am only experimenting (learning) the language.
> There is Allegro, but that is restricted to 60 Days, and it is a rather
> large download on a 56k modem.

I've had Allegro, Lispworks, Corman, and CLISP on my XP box, take your pick.
Updating Allegro's license is a breeze, it comes with a utility to do the
update, you just have to connect to the net and run it every 60 days.

I'd rate them in the same order I've listed them above, YMMV. As for size,
have you considered a download manager?

--
Geoff
From: l
From: Christian Nyb�
"l" <·@l.com.au> writes:

> To all,
> Is there a consensus about what is a reasonably good downloadable version of
> common lisp that runs on windows XP.
>
> I would prefer free as I am only experimenting (learning) the language.
> There is Allegro, but that is restricted to 60 Days,

It shouldn't be too hard to extend those 60 days, though.

From http://www.franz.com/downloads/:

| Now it's easier than ever to try Allegro CL. Simply request a
| license file and download the software. You may also renew your
| license simply by running a program on your computer.

| You will not need to re-download the software, and new license files
| are easy to request and install. There is no limit to the number of
| license files you receive; and you may use the Trial version for
| academic classwork and non-commercial applications for as long as
| you want.

> and it is a rather large download on a 56k modem.

Contact Franz Inc., the vendor of Allegro Common Lisp, and ask them to
mail you a CD.

--
chr