From: Nils Goesche
Subject: INTERLISP question
Hi!

I am about to read an old paper: ``On compiling embedded languages in
LISP'' by Emanuelson and Haraldsson.  Skimming it, the code looks
quite readable except for some strange brackets ([ and ]) here and
there.  Looks like those are only a hack to avoid counting closing
parentheses, is that right?

Regards,
--
Nils Goesche

PGP key ID 0x0655CFA0

From: Simon Katz
Subject: Re: INTERLISP question
"Nils Goesche" <······@cartan.de> wrote in message
···················@pc022.bln.elmeg.de...
> Hi!
>
> I am about to read an old paper: ``On compiling embedded
> languages in
> LISP'' by Emanuelson and Haraldsson.  Skimming it, the code
> looks
> quite readable except for some strange brackets ([ and ]) here
> and
> there.  Looks like those are only a hack to avoid counting
> closing
> parentheses, is that right?

Yes.

IIRC, ] matches the previous [ and closes any intervening
('s. If there are no previous ['s, then ] closes all ('s.
From: Karsten Poeck
As far as I remember ] close all open parens

Karsten