From: Thaddeus L Olczyk
Subject: Apologies to some.
It seems I owe an aopolgy to some.

The whole situation began when someone said something a bit arrogant
in c.l.s. ( that ST's superiority was obvious ). I wanted to warn him
that it was exactly such arrogance that was displayed in c.l.s. And
that if the ST community acted that way they would soon become
as nasty as the CL community.

One example I used was that when a person asked for the availability
of free quality Lisp compilers for Windows and Linux ( or Unix
generically ) the CL community would immediately get nasty.

Strangely for the most part there was not much contention about the
CL community behaviour. One person suffering lisp-induced-Alzheimers
got stuck on the last such request ignoring the fact that there have
been previous requests.

Others chose instead focus on on something that I never even claimed--
the lack of availablity. ( Allthough I do feel it is a shame, and as I
said before, feel the the CL community is just not up to it. It did
come up later as I responded, but the fact is that it was not the
thrust of my original comments. )

This degenerated into one of the typical Lisp flamewars.
It seems that lisp-induced-Alzheimers prevents one from
seeing that there are *legitimate reasons*  for wanting such
which have nothing to do with a person being a Communist.
( BTW this to a Republican in Chicago. You want to prove
you are a true Republican. Try being one while living in Chicago.
It tests your politcal faith to say the least. ) Strange since many
use either FreeBSD or Linux.

I was bothered a person suddenly said "since when were we taking about
*free* compilers" that anyone would ever use such illogic.
At that point I thought his comments needed a wider audience.
So I included comp.object and comp.software-eng which I fealt
were appropriate. I included comp.lang.lisp because I fealt that
I was saying some bad things about the lisp community. I don't
believe in saying bad things about a person behind their back. If you
do it, you do it to their face.

I admit I expected some rancor. What I did not expect was the vicous
and vile -- actually the rabid nature of the response from the Lisp
community. I am sorry to all those who innocently have suffered
through all this.

From: Tim Bradshaw
Subject: Re: Apologies to some.
* Thaddeus L Olczyk wrote:
> It seems I owe an aopolgy to some.

I think the best way you could apologise to cll at this point is by
*going away*.  I for one would be very grateful if you would do that.
If you don't want to go away, please don't crosspost articles with
subjects like this one, and, in fact, *don't crosspost at all*.  If
you haven't noticed the correlation between crossposting and futile
flame wars, do so now.

But preferably, just go away, please?

Thanks

--tim
From: Craig Brozefsky
Tim Bradshaw <···@cley.com> writes:

> But preferably, just go away, please?

I would suggest he go away are write some lisp code.

--
Craig Brozefsky <·····@onshored.com>	             Senior Programmer
onShore Development                       http://www.onshore-devel.com
From: Hartmann Schaffer
In article <···············@cley.com>,
	Tim Bradshaw <···@cley.com> writes:
> * Thaddeus L Olczyk wrote:
>> It seems I owe an aopolgy to some.
>
> I think the best way you could apologise to cll at this point is by
> *going away*.  I for one would be very grateful if you would do that.
> If you don't want to go away, please don't crosspost articles with
> subjects like this one, and, in fact, *don't crosspost at all*.  If
> you haven't noticed the correlation between crossposting and futile
> flame wars, do so now.
>
> But preferably, just go away, please?

probably the best way to assure that is to ignore him

hs

--

don't use malice as an explanation when stupidity suffices