From: Paolo Amoroso
Subject: Re: Franz Liszt & Farewell my Dijkstra
On 8 Aug 2002 01:53:30 -0700, ···@xahlee.org (Xah Lee) wrote:

> And, i also learned that Xanalys was Harlequin, and that bit i knew,
> but Harlequin was Lucid, that bit i did not know, among others. And,

Harlequin and Lucid were different companies. After Lucid's demise,
Harlequin bought their flagship product Lucid Common Lisp and remarketed it
as Liquid Common Lisp.

Paolo
http://www.paoloamoroso.it/ency/README

From: Kent M Pitman
Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it> writes:

> On 8 Aug 2002 01:53:30 -0700, ···@xahlee.org (Xah Lee) wrote:
>
> > And, i also learned that Xanalys was Harlequin, and that bit i knew,
> > but Harlequin was Lucid, that bit i did not know, among others. And,
>
> Harlequin and Lucid were different companies. After Lucid's demise,
> Harlequin bought their flagship product Lucid Common Lisp and remarketed it
> as Liquid Common Lisp.

Incidentally, I _believe_ that's because the rest of Lucid's assets,
including its name, were sold to another company, which company
"encouraged" Harlequin to eliminate all references to the name Lucid
from its product line.
From: Carl Shapiro

> Incidentally, I _believe_ that's because the rest of Lucid's assets,
> including its name, were sold to another company, which company
> "encouraged" Harlequin to eliminate all references to the name Lucid
> from its product line.

When I enquired about the name change, the story I got was that the
Lucid name was sold to a camera lens company sometime before Lucid's
demise.
From: Kent M Pitman
Carl Shapiro <·············@panix.com> writes:

> Kent M Pitman <······@world.std.com> writes:
>
> > Incidentally, I _believe_ that's because the rest of Lucid's assets,
> > including its name, were sold to another company, which company
> > "encouraged" Harlequin to eliminate all references to the name Lucid
> > from its product line.
>
> When I enquired about the name change, the story I got was that the
> Lucid name was sold to a camera lens company sometime before Lucid's
> demise.

I can't say specifically--that might be.  My real and only point was that
the name change to Liquid was not some aspect of gratuitouis Harlequin
pride or obfuscation--it was required of them by forces beyond their control.