From: Thomas Bushnell, BSG
Subject: Re: Franz Liszt & Farewell my Dijkstra
"J L Russell" <·········@nospam.alum.mit.edu> writes:

> "Thomas Bushnell, BSG" <·········@becket.net> wrote in message
> ···················@becket.becket.net...
> > Espen Vestre <·····@*do-not-spam-me*.vestre.net> writes:
> >
> > > The current scandinavian germanic languages (where "Scandinavia" = the
> > > scandinavian peninsula and Denmark) are so close that they can be
> > > considered dialects of the same language.
> >
> > Does this include the minority languages of the very far north, no to
> > mention the Finns???
> >
> Those are not "germanic languages".

Eek, I'm sorry, I misparsed the sentence!  Thanks for the correction.

From: Jens Axel S�gaard
Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> "J L Russell" <·········@nospam.alum.mit.edu> writes:
>
>> "Thomas Bushnell, BSG" <·········@becket.net> wrote in
>> message ···················@becket.becket.net...

>>> Does this include the minority languages of the very
>>> far north, no to mention the Finns???
>>>
>> Those are not "germanic languages".
>
> Eek, I'm sorry, I misparsed the sentence!  Thanks for the
> correction.

If you by "very far north" refer to icelandic I think they are included
in that the language originated the same place.
Personally I (I'm from Denmark) find norwegian easier to understand than
swedish - and wouldn't claim to understand icelandic at all. This has
historical reasons as opposed to geographical.

To the far north there is also Greenland, but their language come
from a totally different group of languages.

--
Jens Axel S�gaard
From: Sigvaldi Eggertsson
"Jens Axel S?aard" <······@soegaard.net> wrote in message news:<·························@dspool01.news.tele.dk>...
> Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > "J L Russell" <·········@nospam.alum.mit.edu> writes:
> >
> >> "Thomas Bushnell, BSG" <·········@becket.net> wrote in
> >> message ···················@becket.becket.net...

> >> Those are not "germanic languages".
> >
> > Eek, I'm sorry, I misparsed the sentence!  Thanks for the
> > correction.
>
> If you by "very far north" refer to icelandic I think they are included
> in that the language originated the same place.
> Personally I (I'm from Denmark) find norwegian easier to understand than
> swedish - and wouldn't claim to understand icelandic at all. This has
> historical reasons as opposed to geographical.
>
> To the far north there is also Greenland, but their language come
> from a totally different group of languages.

Norway, Sweden and Finland extend far to the north of Iceland, so the "very
far north" would apply to those nations, not to Iceland.
From: Thomas Stegen CES2000
"Sigvaldi Eggertsson" <·······@binet.is> wrote in message
·································@posting.google.com...
> Norway, Sweden and Finland extend far to the north of Iceland, so the
"very
> far north" would apply to those nations, not to Iceland.

For example, I live "in the middle" of Norway, Bod� in Nordland for
those who are interested. This is north of Iceland and I can still go
almost a thousand miles north and still be on the Norwegian mainland.
If we include Svalbard, which we should I can go almost as far north
As the northern coast of Greenland and still be in Norway.
--
Thomas.

Approaching singularity.
From: Will Deakin
Thomas Stegen CES2000 wrote:
> For example, I live "in the middle" of Norway, Bodø in Nordland for
> those who are interested. This is north of Iceland and I can still go
> almost a thousand miles north and still be on the Norwegian mainland.
> If we include Svalbard, which we should I can go almost as far north
> As the northern coast of Greenland and still be in Norway.
It must play havoc with your compass...

;)w
From: Martin Thornquist
[ Will Deakin ]

> Thomas Stegen CES2000 wrote:
>> For example, I live "in the middle" of Norway, Bod� in Nordland for
>> those who are interested. This is north of Iceland and I can still go
>> almost a thousand miles north and still be on the Norwegian mainland.
>> If we include Svalbard, which we should I can go almost as far north
>> As the northern coast of Greenland and still be in Norway.
> It must play havoc with your compass...

No, why should it? Bring out a globus, locate the position of the
magnetic north pole (currently somewhere at the northern coast of
western Canada, I believe), and observe that it's more or less on the
opposite side of the geographical north pole from Norway, giving no
great deviation in any part of this country.

Martin
--
"An ideal world is left as an exercise to the reader."
                                                 -Paul Graham, On Lisp
From: Åsmund Ødegård
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 11:35:58 +0200 skrev Jens Axel S�gaard:
> Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
>> "J L Russell" <·········@nospam.alum.mit.edu> writes:
>>
>>> "Thomas Bushnell, BSG" <·········@becket.net> wrote in
>>> message ···················@becket.becket.net...

>>> Those are not "germanic languages".
>>
>> Eek, I'm sorry, I misparsed the sentence!  Thanks for the
>> correction.
>
> If you by "very far north" refer to icelandic I think they are included
> in that the language originated the same place.

No, I guess he ment the language spoken and written by the Sami (?)
people, i.e Sami. This language is close to finish.

mvh,
--
[simula.research laboratory]
                 �smund �deg�rd
From: Martin Thornquist
[ �smund �deg�rd ]

> No, I guess he ment the language spoken and written by the Sami (?)
> people, i.e Sami. This language is close to finish.

Sorry to bitch about spelling errors, but this one is rather critical
-- I suppose you meant Finnish. :-)

Martin