From: Christopher C. Stacy
Subject: MS Windows bindings for Lisp
What's the availability of libraries for writing Windows applications
using the various platforms (CLISP, Corman, LWW, and ACL)?
I am referring to the ability to do things such as use the
"common controls" to get the standard Windows look-and-feel.

I am familiar with CAPI and CLIM, but that's not quite what
I am asking about.  I am thinking of some library written
using the FFIs (maybe portably or not), and the interface
to the GUI functions might or might not be very abstract.

From: Richard Krush
Subject: Re: MS Windows bindings for Lisp
······@dtpq.com (Christopher C. Stacy) writes:

> What's the availability of libraries for writing Windows applications
> using the various platforms (CLISP, Corman, LWW, and ACL)?
> I am referring to the ability to do things such as use the
> "common controls" to get the standard Windows look-and-feel.
>
> I am familiar with CAPI and CLIM, but that's not quite what
> I am asking about.  I am thinking of some library written
> using the FFIs (maybe portably or not), and the interface
> to the GUI functions might or might not be very abstract.

I do not know for sure, but I have heard that Corman Lisp [1] has the
Windows API bindings, so you might want to check it out. I also know that
Allegro CL [2] has a GUI toolkit called Common Windows, but I don1t know
how closely it is based on the actual Windows API, you might want to
check out the documentation.

    [1] http://www.cormanlisp.com
    [2] http://www.franz.com

Good Luck!

--
 Richard Krushelnitskiy   "I know not with what weapons World War III will
 rkrush (at) gmx.net       be fought, but World War IV will be fought with
From: Christopher Browne
······@dtpq.com (Christopher C. Stacy) wrote:
> What's the availability of libraries for writing Windows applications
> using the various platforms (CLISP, Corman, LWW, and ACL)?
> I am referring to the ability to do things such as use the
> "common controls" to get the standard Windows look-and-feel.

> I am familiar with CAPI and CLIM, but that's not quite what I am
> asking about.  I am thinking of some library written using the FFIs
> (maybe portably or not), and the interface to the GUI functions
> might or might not be very abstract.

General interest in this seems oriented in two directions:

 -> Those that want portability are likely to care about Unix, so that
    they're after somewhat orthogonal goals, and are likely to prefer
    CLIM or similar;

 -> The "idiomatic" way of doing 'native Windows stuff' involves
    intense use of COM, so you probably should be looking at the
    quality of the COM interfaces.
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" ·@cbbrowne.com")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/nonrdbms.html
From: Robert St. Amant
······@dtpq.com (Christopher C. Stacy) writes:

> What's the availability of libraries for writing Windows applications
> using the various platforms (CLISP, Corman, LWW, and ACL)?
> I am referring to the ability to do things such as use the
> "common controls" to get the standard Windows look-and-feel.
>
> I am familiar with CAPI and CLIM, but that's not quite what
> I am asking about.  I am thinking of some library written
> using the FFIs (maybe portably or not), and the interface
> to the GUI functions might or might not be very abstract.

I use ACL's interface system, called common graphics, and I've been
impressed with both its flexibility and its adherence to Windows
standards.  Franz has a screen shot of the IDE here,

          http://www.franz.com/products/images/ide.jpg

which shows all the standard widgets you can include in an
application.  The version I use (6.0) is accompanied by a pretty
extensive set of examples in source code for generating interactive
applications.  The programming primitives are different from CAPI and
CLIM, but for me building common graphics interfaces has required
about the same skills, and often less effort.  They have a nice IDE
and good documentation.  Examples of code can be found online:

     http://www.franz.com/support/documentation/6.0/doc/cgide.htm

--
Rob St. Amant
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~stamant
From: Chris Double
······@dtpq.com (Christopher C. Stacy) writes:

> What's the availability of libraries for writing Windows applications
> using the various platforms (CLISP, Corman, LWW, and ACL)?

At my website [1] I have a simple set of wrappers for Corman Lisp to
do Windows GUI's. Corman Lisp also ships with some of its own. The
example at my website demonstrates using ActiveX controls in a Lisp
window.

[1] http://www.double.co.nz/cl/

Chris.