From: Raymond Toy
Subject: Re: Numerical constraint solver

    Drew> Can anyone point me to a package (in Lisp, of course) for
    Drew> solving numerical constraints?� It has to handle
    Drew> multi-variable linear constraints, but if it also handled
    Drew> some nonlinear ones that would be nice.� The number of
    Drew> variables is probably quite low, <20, so major horsepower is
    Drew> not required.� A straightforward implementation of the
    Drew> simplex algorithm would work fine.� I just don't want to
    Drew> write it.

Maybe some Fortran code converted to Lisp via f2cl might work?  (If
so, look at clocc.sourceforge.net.)

Ray
From: Pierpaolo BERNARDI

 Drew> Can anyone point me to a package (in Lisp, of course) for
Drew> solving numerical constraints? It has to handle
Drew> multi-variable linear constraints, but if it also handled
Drew> some nonlinear ones that would be nice. The number of
Drew> variables is probably quite low, <20, so major horsepower is
Drew> not required. A straightforward implementation of the
Drew> simplex algorithm would work fine. I just don't want to
Drew> write it.

In the Lisp repository there's code for the simplex algorithm.

Also, the code of Numerical Recipes is available in CL, and this
includes the simplex algo (the code for C is available from the net,
but the CL code was only available on a cdrom priced 100 GBP last
time I checked).

P.