From: fik1
Subject: Serial port communication in MCL?
[Crossposted to comp.lang.lisp because it looks like .mcl has been
devoid of life for the past 3 months]

Has anyone here done any work on managing serial port communication
within MCL?  I've written a Lisp facility for remotely controlling
the Lego Mindstorms RCX from a Lisp environment on Windows (Xanalys
LispWorks), and I'm in the middle of porting it to MCL on Mac OS 9.x.

The porting has been very straightforward except (as one might guess)
for getting the Lisp system to communicate bytecodes over the
Mindstorms IR tower, and to validate the RCX's reply.

I found the serial-streams.lisp file in the Examples folder that
comes with MCL, but nowhere in the file can I find any information
about how to specify what the timeout values should be for reading
characters.  Neither the "stream-listen" method that Digitool
provides nor the Common Lisp "listen" function seem to provide
any mechanism for specifying this.

Do I need to get messy and work with Digitool's timers.lisp file?

Thanks,
  --Frank

Frank Klassner
Department of Computing Sciences