From: Dorai Sitaram
Subject: Schemely graphing calculators?
I'm trying to brush up on some higher math through
private reading and am looking to get a graphing
calculator to help me along.  The only calculators I've
used so far are "scientific" (ie, +-*/, trig, log, hyp,
and stats on single-var lists).  I like the promise of
visualizing complicated functions on the x,y-plane (or
x,y,z-space), and the ability to do numeric integration
and matrix manipulation, but I'm not really looking for
a "student" calculator, with menu'd lessons and such.
Also, I'd like a machine whose programming language is
as Scheme-like in feel, if not in syntax.  Is this too
tall an order?  If not, what brand/model would
you recommend?  Thanks.

--d

ps: Does it have to be a calculator?  Yes.  My
discretionary reading time is rather scattered these
days and may not be near a real computer running
MzScheme, CLISP, Gnuplot and suchlike.

From: Wade Humeniuk
Subject: Re: Schemely graphing calculators?
Try

Option 1:

http://www.lispme.de/lispme/

A Scheme system for the palm OS.  As for a graphing calculator, I do not
know.  In general, garphing calculators are extremely limited and can only
approximate an actual graph.  Sometimes its best to stick with the actually
equation and leave the visualization out of it.

Option 2:

Mathematica for the Palm??

http://www.wolfram.com/products/mathematica/

Runs on Linux, was there not a PDA linux system somewhere?

Option 3:

Get a laptop  and install whatever you need.  Macsyma, Mathematica, ....
you get the idea.

Option 4:  (The best)

Higher mathematics reading usually does not need the use of a calculator.
Answers are always exact and learning to do everything by hand exercises the
brain.  I do not think Einstein or Gauss or Fermat or Newton or Laplace or
Poincare or Euler or Galois or Hilbert needed a calculator.  You probably do
not either.

Wade

·················@news.gte.com...

From: James A. Crippen
"Wade Humeniuk" <········@cadvision.com> writes:

> Get a laptop  and install whatever you need.  Macsyma, Mathematica, ....
> you get the idea.

No Macsyma.  It got reabsorbed into Symbolics who then stopped talking
about distributing it.  It *was* ported to Windows, Linux, Mac, and
misc Unices, as well as Genera.

Anyone heard the status of Macsyma lately?

'james

--
James A. Crippen <·····@unlambda.com> ,-./-.  Anchorage, Alaska,
Lambda Unlimited: Recursion 'R' Us   |  |/  | USA, 61.2069 N, 149.766 W,
From: Tim Moore
In article <··············@kappa.unlambda.com>, "James A. Crippen"
<·····@unlambda.com> wrote:

> "Wade Humeniuk" <········@cadvision.com> writes:
>> Get a laptop  and install whatever you need.  Macsyma, Mathematica,
>> .... you get the idea.
> No Macsyma.  It got reabsorbed into Symbolics who then stopped talking
> about distributing it.  It *was* ported to Windows, Linux, Mac, and misc
> Unices, as well as Genera.
> Anyone heard the status of Macsyma lately?  'james

http://www.ma.utexas.edu/maxima.html
Maxima is DOE Macsyma from the early 80s ported to Common Lisp.
Unfortunately the maintainer of Maxima and GCL, Bill Schelter, died
recently.

Tim
From: Thomas F. Burdick
"Wade Humeniuk" <········@cadvision.com> writes:

> Option 4:  (The best)
>
> Higher mathematics reading usually does not need the use of a calculator.
> Answers are always exact and learning to do everything by hand exercises the
> brain.  I do not think Einstein or Gauss or Fermat or Newton or Laplace or
> Poincare or Euler or Galois or Hilbert needed a calculator.  You probably do
> not either.

No offense intended (and honestly, someone would have to be pretty
full of themselves for this to be offensive :), but I'm pretty sure
Dorai isn't quite an Einstein or Gauss.  If someone thinks that modern
technology can help them learn something better, well, I say they
should use it.  We live in the 21st century, we get get no choice
about the bad stuff, so we should take full advantage of the good
stuff.

You might want to check out HP calculators, they use a stack-based
postfix syntax.
From: Nils Goesche
···@sandstorm.OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Thomas F. Burdick) writes:

> "Wade Humeniuk" <········@cadvision.com> writes:
>
>> Option 4:  (The best)
>>
>> Higher mathematics reading usually does not need the use of a
>> calculator.  Answers are always exact and learning to do everything
>> by hand exercises the brain.  I do not think Einstein or Gauss or
>> Fermat or Newton or Laplace or Poincare or Euler or Galois or
>> Hilbert needed a calculator.  You probably do not either.
>
> No offense intended (and honestly, someone would have to be pretty
> full of themselves for this to be offensive :), but I'm pretty sure
> Dorai isn't quite an Einstein or Gauss.  If someone thinks that
> modern technology can help them learn something better, well, I say
> they should use it.  We live in the 21st century, we get get no
> choice about the bad stuff, so we should take full advantage of the
> good stuff.

Gauss or not, I guess he wants to _learn_ something.  Back when I
still taught mathematics for engineers at the university I always
found that they were much better off when forced _not_ to use a
calculator.  For when they don't have one and want to know what, say
cos 0 is, (0 or 1), they have to use their brain and imagine a picture
of a triangle in the unit circle.  Mathematics is all about using your
brain, not about learning or applying formulae.  When they are allowed
to use a calculator, they get the impression that cos 0 is 1 just
because the calculator says so.  Also I could never understand why
people _trust_ their calculators so much (more than their own brain).
Whenever I use a calculator I am very anxious about not making typos,
for instance (and nevertheless _made_ typos now and then).  Then there
is the stupid habit of writing down intermediate results like

  x = 2.343546, y = 6.374637873

How many digits after the point should you use?  Then you go on
computing with these results, getting something like

z = (+ y (* 2 x)) = ???

The calculator says 11.061729873.  Now, what do you make of that?  How
many digits do you trust?

When people did their homework with a calculator I always asked them
questions like these, said their solution wasn't complete until they
tell (and proof!) me how many of those digits were actually valid.  Of
course, doing this was much over their head yet, so not using a
calculator is actually _easier_.  And, getting a perfectly correct
result like

(sqrt (+ 1 (sqrt 3)))

or whatever is much better than just some approximation, isn't it?

Regards,
--
Nils Goesche

PGP key ID 0x42B32FC9
From: Dorai Sitaram
In article <··············@pc022.bln.elmeg.de>,
Nils Goesche  <······@cartan.de> wrote:
>···@sandstorm.OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Thomas F. Burdick) writes:
>> "Wade Humeniuk" <········@cadvision.com> writes:
>>
>>> Option 4:  (The best)
>>>
>>> Higher mathematics reading usually does not need the use of a
>>> calculator.  Answers are always exact and learning to do everything
>>> by hand exercises the brain.  I do not think Einstein or Gauss or
>>> Fermat or Newton or Laplace or Poincare or Euler or Galois or
>>> Hilbert needed a calculator.  You probably do not either.
>>
>> No offense intended (and honestly, someone would have to be pretty
>> full of themselves for this to be offensive :), but I'm pretty sure
>> Dorai isn't quite an Einstein or Gauss.  If someone thinks that
>> modern technology can help them learn something better, well, I say
>> they should use it.  We live in the 21st century, we get get no
>> choice about the bad stuff, so we should take full advantage of the
>> good stuff.
>
>Gauss or not, I guess he wants to _learn_ something.  Back when I
>still taught mathematics for engineers at the university I always
>found that they were much better off when forced _not_ to use a
>calculator.  For when they don't have one and want to know what, say
>cos 0 is, (0 or 1), they have to use their brain and imagine a picture
>of a triangle in the unit circle.  Mathematics is all about using your
>brain, not about learning or applying formulae.  When they are allowed
>to use a calculator, they get the impression that cos 0 is 1 just
>because the calculator says so.  Also I could never understand why
>people _trust_ their calculators so much (more than their own brain).
>
>... And, getting a perfectly correct
>result like
>
>(sqrt (+ 1 (sqrt 3)))
>
>or whatever is much better than just some approximation, isn't it?

I thank all that wrote.  I didn't use a
calculator in school myself, so I feel sympathetic
toward the anti-calculator rants.  I did go to the
store to take a look at an actual graphing calculator,
and decided against it.  It looked too complicated to
operate (when weighed against my needs), had a bunch of
cruft that I didn't need, and the graphs were kind of
tacky-looking.  A low-tech pencil-and-paper approach to
graphing will probably be more educative and I like
doodling anyway.

The particular subject I'm privately studying is
mathematical statistics.  A bit of number-crunching
would, I feel, make many of the concepts more
intuitive.  While I can see the contentment occasioned
by an answer like e^(-9/4)/sqrt(pi), it would still
help to pin an approximate numerical value on it, so I
know where to plot it on a coordinate system, whether
on a piece of paper or in my head.

Bogus precision is not the issue.  Calculating a
tediously large number of values is, even though each
value needn't be precise.  Example 1: Drawing (or
imagining) those pencil-and-paper graphs, which require
a bunch of ordinates.  Example 2: Calculating definite
integrals that allow of only numerical approximation.
In principle, I can do either without electronic aid,
but the drudgery of actually doing these things over
and over again is formidable.  A "scientific"
calculator enhanced with a numerical-integration
feature would be quite handy.  (Sharp makes a couple of
these, EL-506 and EL-520.  Haven't seen anything
comparable in the other brands.)

--d
From: Raymond Toy

    Dorai> formidable.  A "scientific" calculator enhanced with a
    Dorai> numerical-integration feature would be quite handy.  (Sharp
    Dorai> makes a couple of these, EL-506 and EL-520.  Haven't seen
    Dorai> anything comparable in the other brands.)

My ancient HP 15C has numerical integration (and root solving and
complex numbers and matrices).  I'm sure any of the newer HP
calculators has that plus a bunch more (but they don't fit in my shirt
pocket so well).

Ray
From: Nils Goesche
····@goldshoe.gte.com (Dorai Sitaram) writes:

> The particular subject I'm privately studying is mathematical
> statistics.  A bit of number-crunching would, I feel, make many of
> the concepts more intuitive.  While I can see the contentment
> occasioned by an answer like e^(-9/4)/sqrt(pi), it would still help
> to pin an approximate numerical value on it, so I know where to plot
> it on a coordinate system, whether on a piece of paper or in my
> head.

Just imagine the graph of e^x.  The graph of e^x / sqrt(pi) is just
slightly below that.  At x = -9/4 you get some small positive number,
which usually is all you need to know (Same works with e^{-x^2}).

Or go wild:  e^{-9/4}/sqrt(pi) is 1 / [e^2 * sqrt(pi) * e^{-1/4}].

e^{-1/4} is just 1, sqrt(pi) is, hm, don't know, let's say 3/2 and e^2
is, say, 9.  So we have just 1 / [27/2] = 2 / 27, which is

2 : 27 = 2 : 3 : 3 : 3 = 0.222222.. : 3 = 0.07

See?  Some small number.  Not very exact but gives an idea of the
value :-)

But okok, I admit that sometimes having the computer drawing some
graphs for you can be helpful.  Or if you want to know how some
surfaces look like which are just numerical solutions of some
horrible partial differential equations.

Regards,
--
Nils Goesche

PGP key ID 0x42B32FC9
From: David Feuer
Wade Humeniuk wrote:
<snip>
> Option 2:
>
> Mathematica for the Palm??
>
> http://www.wolfram.com/products/mathematica/
>
> Runs on Linux, was there not a PDA linux system somewhere?
<snip>

Yes.  It's called the Agenda  (www.agendacomputing.com).  A friend of
mine has one and likes it.  I seriously doubt it has anywhere near the
processing capability necessary to run Mathematica (it has to be slow to
save battery power).  However, there is a scheme interpreter available
for it.  The scheme interpreter does not support graphics, but it is
open source, so it probably would not be _too_ hard to add minimal
graphics support. Of course, you'd have to write your own calculator,
but since you seem to like programming scheme, that shouldn't be a
problem  ;-).

--
/Times-Bold 40 selectfont/n{moveto}def/m{gsave true charpath clip 72
400 n 300 -4 1{dup 160 300 3 -1 roll 0 360 arc 300 div 1 1 sethsbcolor
From: Wade Humeniuk
> graphics support. Of course, you'd have to write your own calculator,
> but since you seem to like programming scheme, that shouldn't be a
> problem  ;-).

Cough, sputter, .......

SEEM to like programming in Scheme!  Aaaagh!  Of all the things to be tagged
with in this forum.

Not for a long time, CL forever! :-)  LOL

Wade
From: James A. Crippen
"Wade Humeniuk" <········@cadvision.com> writes:

> > graphics support. Of course, you'd have to write your own calculator,
> > but since you seem to like programming scheme, that shouldn't be a
> > problem  ;-).
>
> Cough, sputter, .......
>
> SEEM to like programming in Scheme!  Aaaagh!  Of all the things to be tagged
> with in this forum.

Silly, this is cross-posted to both c.l.scheme and c.l.lisp.  Not that
those pot-smoking communist hippie Scheme freaks care. ;-)

> Not for a long time, CL forever! :-)  LOL

(all-praise-common-lisp?) => #t

'james

From: Wade Humeniuk
> > Not for a long time, CL forever! :-)  LOL
>
> (all-praise-common-lisp?) => #t

Cross posted!

Hey no schemisms ------^ !

Wade
From: Janis Dzerins
·····@unlambda.com (James A. Crippen) writes:

> "Wade Humeniuk" <········@cadvision.com> writes:
>
> > > graphics support. Of course, you'd have to write your own
> > > calculator, but since you seem to like programming scheme, that
> > > shouldn't be a problem ;-).
> >
> > Cough, sputter, .......
> >
> > SEEM to like programming in Scheme!  Aaaagh!  Of all the things to
> > be tagged with in this forum.
>
> Silly, this is cross-posted to both c.l.scheme and c.l.lisp.  Not
> that those pot-smoking communist hippie Scheme freaks care. ;-)
>
> > Not for a long time, CL forever! :-)  LOL
>
> (all-praise-common-lisp?) => #t

Is this function a widely used extension to scheme? Last time I looked
at R5RS it was not there...

--
Janis Dzerins

  If million people say a stupid thing it's still a stupid thing.
From: Aaron J Reichow
On 25 Sep 2001, James A. Crippen wrote:

> "Wade Humeniuk" <········@cadvision.com> writes:
>
> > > graphics support. Of course, you'd have to write your own calculator,
> > > but since you seem to like programming scheme, that shouldn't be a
> > > problem  ;-).
> >
> > Cough, sputter, .......
> >
> > SEEM to like programming in Scheme!  Aaaagh!  Of all the things to be tagged
> > with in this forum.
>
> Silly, this is cross-posted to both c.l.scheme and c.l.lisp.  Not that
> those pot-smoking communist hippie Scheme freaks care. ;-)

Hey! Show some respect for the pot-smoking communist hippie common-lispers
in here!

Regards,
Aaron

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
  "the question is no longer between violence and non-violence; It is
between non-violence and non-existence."  :: martin luther king junior
From: James A. Crippen
Aaron J Reichow <········@d.umn.edu> writes:

> > > Cough, sputter, .......
> > >
> > > SEEM to like programming in Scheme!  Aaaagh!  Of all the things
> > > to be tagged with in this forum.
> >
> > Silly, this is cross-posted to both c.l.scheme and c.l.lisp.  Not that
> > those pot-smoking communist hippie Scheme freaks care. ;-)
>
> Hey! Show some respect for the pot-smoking communist hippie common-lispers
> in here!

Oh sorry.

http://12.1149611/~james/420.html

'james

From: Bruce Hoult
In article <··············@kappa.unlambda.com>, ·····@unlambda.com
(James A. Crippen) wrote:

> > Hey! Show some respect for the pot-smoking communist hippie
> > common-lispers
> > in here!
>
> Oh sorry.
>
> http://12.1149611/~james/420.html

Ugh.

Does that actually work on some OS and/or Browser?  It sure dosn't on
either IE or Netscape on MacOS or Netscape on Linux.

This does:

  http://12.17.138.171/~james/420.html

-- Bruce
From: Thomas F. Burdick
Bruce Hoult <·····@hoult.org> writes:

> In article <··············@kappa.unlambda.com>, ·····@unlambda.com
> (James A. Crippen) wrote:
>
> > > Hey! Show some respect for the pot-smoking communist hippie
> > > common-lispers
> > > in here!
> >
> > Oh sorry.
> >
> > http://12.1149611/~james/420.html
>
> Ugh.
>
> Does that actually work on some OS and/or Browser?  It sure dosn't on
> either IE or Netscape on MacOS or Netscape on Linux.

I could have sworn that worked on Linux... I can say for sure it does
on Windows and Solaris.  It's a function of the OS and the way it
resolves host names.  If you have your own domain it's pretty amusing
to give your URL out that way:
 "What's your web page's URL?"
 "(some number with no dots)"
 "Say what?"
From: Thant Tessman
Bruce Hoult wrote:

> In article <··············@kappa.unlambda.com>, ·····@unlambda.com
> (James A. Crippen) wrote:
>

>>>Hey! Show some respect for the pot-smoking communist hippie
>>>common-lispers
>>>in here!
>>>
>>Oh sorry.
>>
>>http://12.1149611/~james/420.html
>>

> Ugh.
>
> Does that actually work on some OS and/or Browser?  It sure dosn't on
> either IE or Netscape on MacOS or Netscape on Linux.
>
> This does:
>
>   http://12.17.138.171/~james/420.html

Nope, that one doesn't work for me either. My browser is as stoned as
ever. It keeps quoting Richard Stallman.

Hey, and what about us lawn-mowing beer-drinking capitalist Scheme
programmers?

-thant
From: James A. Crippen
Thant Tessman <·····@acm.org> writes:

> Hey, and what about us lawn-mowing beer-drinking capitalist Scheme
> programmers?

You're all doomed to be overcome by marketing slogans. :-)

'james

From: Rahul Jain
·····@unlambda.com (James A. Crippen) writes:

> Thant Tessman <·····@acm.org> writes:

> > Hey, and what about us lawn-mowing beer-drinking capitalist Scheme
> > programmers?

> You're all doomed to be overcome by marketing slogans. :-)

And then they'll become Java programmers? :)
I suppose Kawa would make it not so bad...

--
-> -/-                       - Rahul Jain -                       -\- <-
-> -\- http://linux.rice.edu/~rahul -=- ·················@usa.net -/- <-
From: James A. Crippen
Rahul Jain <·····@rice.edu> writes:

> ·····@unlambda.com (James A. Crippen) writes:
>
> > Thant Tessman <·····@acm.org> writes:
>
> > > Hey, and what about us lawn-mowing beer-drinking capitalist Scheme
> > > programmers?
>
> > You're all doomed to be overcome by marketing slogans. :-)
>
> And then they'll become Java programmers? :)

No, don't be silly.  They're going to become C-sharp programmers.

'#' is pronounced 'hash' in my dialect.  C# = "C-hash" or "Cash".

'james

From: Thant Tessman
James A. Crippen wrote:

> No, don't be silly.  They're going to become C-sharp programmers.
>
> '#' is pronounced 'hash' in my dialect.  C# = "C-hash" or "Cash".

Bite your tongue! 'Capitalist' and 'tasteless' aren't always the same thing.

-thant
From: James A. Crippen
Thant Tessman <·····@acm.org> writes:

> James A. Crippen wrote:
>
> > No, don't be silly.  They're going to become C-sharp programmers.
> > '#' is pronounced 'hash' in my dialect.  C# = "C-hash" or "Cash".
>

> Bite your tongue! 'Capitalist' and 'tasteless' aren't always the same thing.

Right.  Some capitalists have very good taste in suits, for instance.
And good taste in wine.

'Hollywood' and 'tasteless' are however synonymous.

'james

From: ·······@my-deja.com
Rahul Jain <·····@rice.edu> writes:

> ·····@unlambda.com (James A. Crippen) writes:
>
> > Thant Tessman <·····@acm.org> writes:
>
> > You're all doomed to be overcome by marketing slogans. :-)
>
> And then they'll become Java programmers? :)
> I suppose Kawa would make it not so bad...

Yes, it works great.  I do almost all my Java programming in Scheme now.

--
(for-each (lambda (str) (display (string-append (make-string (- 40
(quotient (string-length str) 2)) #\space) str)) (newline)) '(""
From: Greg Menke

> >>http://12.1149611/~james/420.html
> >>

> > Ugh.
> >
> > Does that actually work on some OS and/or Browser?  It sure dosn't on
> > either IE or Netscape on MacOS or Netscape on Linux.
> >
> > This does:
> >
> >   http://12.17.138.171/~james/420.html

Works fine on Netscape 4.73 on Linux kernel rev 2.2.19pre17 - are you
sure you didn't get a space in url by accident?

Gregm
From: Erik Naggum
* Bruce Hoult <·····@hoult.org>
> Does that actually work on some OS and/or Browser?  It sure dosn't on
> either IE or Netscape on MacOS or Netscape on Linux.

  It is actually a valid IP address notation -- net.host.  It works fine
  with Netscape 4.78 on Intel GNU/Debian Linux.  You will also find it in
  the notation 127.1 and in the documentation for the old ARPAnet on net 10.

///
--
  Why did that stupid George W. Bush turn to Christian fundamentalism to
  fight Islamic fundamentalism?  Why use terms like "crusade", which only
From: Rob Warnock
Erik Naggum  <····@naggum.net> wrote:
+---------------
| * Bruce Hoult <·····@hoult.org>
| > Does that actually work on some OS and/or Browser?  It sure dosn't on
| > either IE or Netscape on MacOS or Netscape on Linux.
|
|   It is actually a valid IP address notation -- net.host.  It works fine
|   with Netscape 4.78 on Intel GNU/Debian Linux.  You will also find it in
|   the notation 127.1 and in the documentation for the old ARPAnet on net 10.
+---------------

Even more bizarre, this form works, too:

	http://202476203/~james/420.html

I have seen spammers and pop-up ad slime use this to try to obscure
the URL they're sending you to. For example, try this one [used by
a hoax reported in RISKS a while back]:

	······················@202476203/~james/420.html

[Yes, that's a valid URL.]

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock, 30-3-510		<····@sgi.com>
SGI Network Engineering		<http://reality.sgi.com/rpw3/> [R.I.P.]
1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy.		Phone: 650-933-1673
Mountain View, CA  94043	PP-ASEL-IA

[Note: ·········@sgi.com and ········@sgi.com aren't for humans ]
From: Chris Johansen
People wrote:

> > > Hey! Show some respect for the pot-smoking communist
> > > hippie {var}s in here!

>   http://12.17.138.171/~james/420.html

     Broswer Stoned

     Browser stoned,

 . . . a self-referential proof!

Regards,
--
Chris Johansen
From: Aaron J Reichow
Eh.  Worked for me in IE 5.5/WIn32.

Regards,
Aaron

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
  "civilization is a limitless multiplication of
                unnecessary necessities."                :: mark twain

From: Marco Antoniotti
Bruce Hoult <·····@hoult.org> writes:

> In article <··············@kappa.unlambda.com>, ·····@unlambda.com
> (James A. Crippen) wrote:
>
> > > Hey! Show some respect for the pot-smoking communist hippie
> > > common-lispers
> > > in here!
> >
> > Oh sorry.
> >
> > http://12.1149611/~james/420.html
>
> Ugh.
>
> Does that actually work on some OS and/or Browser?  It sure dosn't on
> either IE or Netscape on MacOS or Netscape on Linux.

It does under Netscape 4.77 on RH 6.2.  I get a funky "Browser Stoned"
message from Apache at www.unlamda.com :)

> This does:
>
>   http://12.17.138.171/~james/420.html
>
> -- Bruce

719 Broadway 12th Floor                 fax  +1 - 212 - 995 4122
                    "Hello New York! We'll do what we can!"
                           Bill Murray in `Ghostbusters'.
From: David Rush
·····@unlambda.com (James A. Crippen) writes:
> "Wade Humeniuk" <········@cadvision.com> writes:
> > SEEM to like programming in Scheme!  Aaaagh!  Of all the things to
> > be tagged with in this forum.
>
> Silly, this is cross-posted to both c.l.scheme and c.l.lisp.  Not that
> those pot-smoking communist hippie Scheme freaks care. ;-)

I hearby declare `Naggum' on this thread.

david rush
a Former pot-smoking communist hippie, who has become a
concealed-carry advocating conservative republican NRA member and
Scheme freak.
--
As I've gained more experience with Perl it strikes me that it resembles
Lisp in many ways, albeit Lisp as channeled by an awk script on acid.
From: Paul Rudin

 David> david rush a Former pot-smoking communist hippie, who has
 David> become a concealed-carry advocating conservative republican
 David> NRA member and Scheme freak.

... at least you didn't give up the pot :-)

--
nuclear Delta Force security colonel assassination SDI FSF Albanian
Clinton jihad Semtex NSA domestic disruption Nazi [Hello to all my
From: Marco Antoniotti
Paul Rudin <··········@scientia.com> writes:

>  David> david rush a Former pot-smoking communist hippie, who has
>  David> become a concealed-carry advocating conservative republican
>  David> NRA member and Scheme freak.
>
> ... at least you didn't give up the pot :-)

Yeah.  But he did pick up Scheme.  Quite scary.

Cheers

From: James A. Crippen

>  David> david rush a Former pot-smoking communist hippie, who has
>  David> become a concealed-carry advocating conservative republican
>  David> NRA member and Scheme freak.
>
> ... at least you didn't give up the pot :-)

Feh, more republicans smoke pot than democrats.  Alaska has voted
republican in every presidential election since the state's inception,
and just last year a bill legalizing marijuana cultivation, use, and
sale failed by a narrow margin, having garnered over 40% of the vote.
The next incarnation of this bill will drop requirements for monetary
restitution for criminals convicted of offenses involving marijuana;
it is believed this will increase the vote share significantly.

Common belief has it that smoking pot makes one paranoid.  This is
only true for those of a liberal bent, who worry about what society
will think of them.  Nowadays few democrats smoke pot because of the
intense paranoia that they experience, already being extremely worried
about their society's opinion of their behavior.

Republicans (not right-wing christian fanatics, but ordinary semi-sane
republicans) don't give a shit what other people think of them,
because they believe that only money matters.  So when they smoke pot
they aren't paranoid about the rest of society, they're only paranoid
about how much the dope cost and what their money market fund thinks
of them.  And how they could have bought a new handgun for the cost of
this crap that they call pot nowadays.  >;-D

'james

From: David Feuer
It sounds like you've never used a graphing calculator...  One good one
is the TI-86, which provides just about anything you could want. (the
TI-89 and TI-92 have more, but are more complicated to use).  The TI-86
is not schemish at all (programming language much like BASIC).
However...  you could probably write a scheme interpreter in some
dialect of C, compile it to TI-86 machine code, and then transfer it to
the calculator....  There are compilers for this, but I have no info.
It is even possible that someone has already written a scheme
interpreter for the TI-86, but I wouldn't know about such things.

From: Steve VanDevender
····@goldshoe.gte.com (Dorai Sitaram) writes:

> I'm trying to brush up on some higher math through
> private reading and am looking to get a graphing
> calculator to help me along.  The only calculators I've
> used so far are "scientific" (ie, +-*/, trig, log, hyp,
> and stats on single-var lists).  I like the promise of
> visualizing complicated functions on the x,y-plane (or
> x,y,z-space), and the ability to do numeric integration
> and matrix manipulation, but I'm not really looking for
> a "student" calculator, with menu'd lessons and such.
> Also, I'd like a machine whose programming language is
> as Scheme-like in feel, if not in syntax.  Is this too
> tall an order?  If not, what brand/model would
> you recommend?  Thanks.

The HP 48GX and HP 49G calculators should be able to do everything you
want and more.  The 49G in particular has a fairly sophisticated
computer algebra system; a 48GX with some additional freely-available
software comes pretty close.  The programming language they use is sort
of an unholy combination of FORTH, Pascal, and LISP (they call it RPL
for "Reverse Polish LISP") but is very practical and flexible.

--
Steve VanDevender  "I ride the big iron"  http://jcomm.uoregon.edu/~stevev
······@efn.org PGP key fingerprint=929FB79734DF8CC0 210DA447510FF93B
From: Stephan H.M.J. Houben
On 25 Sep 2001 20:49:59 GMT, Dorai Sitaram <····@goldshoe.gte.com> wrote:
>I'm trying to brush up on some higher math through
>private reading and am looking to get a graphing
>calculator to help me along.

What about Audrey Jaffer's JACAL running on a laptop
or palmtop?

http://swissnet.ai.mit.edu/~jaffer/JACAL.html

Apparently, SLIB supports Pocket Scheme, so I suspect
that JACAL will run on Pocket Scheme on a Windows CE
PDA. But I don't have such a PDA myself; perhaps others
are willing to comment on this?

Hope this helps,

Stephan
From: see.signature
For advanced mathematics on a small computer or handheld, have a look
at derive (http://www.derive.com).  It is a computer algebra system
which needs only a tiny amount of resources and even runs on dos.  It
is written in mulisp.

The HP calculater range uses RPL, which could be remotely considered
lisp - alike.

Marc

email: marc dot hoffmann at users dot whh dot wau dot nl
From: Ben Goetter
Quoth Stephan H.M.J. Houben:
> Apparently, SLIB supports Pocket Scheme, so I suspect
> that JACAL will run on Pocket Scheme on a Windows CE
> PDA.

You suspect correctly.  However, JACAL doesn't graph.  While Pocket
Scheme has a rudimentary graphing library, you'd have to do a little
work to make JACAL express itself through that.

Ben
From: Tim Bradshaw
* Dorai Sitaram wrote:
> I'm trying to brush up on some higher math through
> private reading and am looking to get a graphing
> calculator to help me along.  The only calculators I've
> used so far are "scientific" (ie, +-*/, trig, log, hyp,
> and stats on single-var lists).  I like the promise of
> visualizing complicated functions on the x,y-plane (or
> x,y,z-space), and the ability to do numeric integration
> and matrix manipulation, but I'm not really looking for
> a "student" calculator, with menu'd lessons and such.
> Also, I'd like a machine whose programming language is
> as Scheme-like in feel, if not in syntax.  Is this too
> tall an order?  If not, what brand/model would
> you recommend?  Thanks.

HP48 has to be the obvious choice, if you want a calculator as such
(rather than something on a palm or so).  It's not Lisp/Scheme as
such, it's more like Forth-with-GC.  Things like Lists are a pain for
a Lisp person because they're not really linked-lists (you can't share
tails).  Against that it's completely programmable, and people have
done serious stuff for it, like non-trivial algebra systems.  You need
to get some of these packages rather than use the built-in stuff,
which is fine, but pales in comparison.  There is an *amazing* amount
of software written for these things. They are slow, and memory is a
lot (and you need some extra).  You want the GX model.

There's some newer one (hp49G) which may be better but I lost track of
things before it really came out.

HP's site is www.hp.com/calculators, the best user site I know is
www.hpcalc.org

--tim
From: Aaron J Reichow
On 25 Sep 2001, Dorai Sitaram wrote:
> [snip]

At first I wasn't going to mention it, but people have been talking about
buying an Agenda PDA and writing up your own graphics support for some
PDA-scheme...

What I use as a calculator (and for graphing) is my Apple Newton
MessagePad 2000.  I'd go on and on about what I love about it, but I'll
save you that.  I use a package called LittleLisp
<http://www.adelaide.net.au/~dbenn/LittleLisp/LittleLispDocs>.  It has
some built in plotting and turtle graphics prims, so no need to add that.

I wrote my own plot function (10 lines long) as a quick hack.  I'll be
touching it up when there's an actual need to.  Quite rough compared to
even the graphing and zooming capabilities of a TI-82, but good enough for
me.  And besides, there's something fun about passing on a function as a
closure. :)

David Benn will be releasing LittleLisp under the GPL as soon as he
package and document the source some.  I'm planning on making it a little
more Scheme-like in it's naming conventions, and adding a fuller set of
standard functions.

Regards,
Aaron

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
"life, probably the biggest word i've ever said, that says a lot,
becos there's a whole lot of words inside my head..."    :: atmosphere