From: Iban
Subject: system arguments
Greetings,

Can sombody tell me what are the arguments that accept lisp systems like
LW, ACL, ... :
the arguments I want are the followings one :
    - the way to load an alternate core image : with cmucl it is :
sh-2.04$ lisp -core <PATH>/<name>
    - the way to eval a form  :  with cmucl : sh-2.04$ lisp -eval
'a-lisp-form'
    - the to load a lisp file : with cmucl : sh-2.04$ lisp -load
<a-file>

I also need the way to save a lisp system : with cmucl : (save-lisp
"a-file-name")

thanks.
Iban.

From: John Foderaro
Subject: Re: system arguments
In article <·················@yahoo.fr>, ········@yahoo.fr says...
> Greetings,
>
> Can sombody tell me what are the arguments that accept lisp systems like
> LW, ACL, ... :

for acl (Version 6.0) this page gives the answer to a few of your questions:

http://www.franz.com/support/documentation/6.0/doc/startup.htm

 Use -I to specify the image to run and -e to evaluate an expression.
 Use -L to load a file.

 The image saving operation is called dumplisp on ACL and you'll find
it in the ACL online documentation as well.
From: Kent M Pitman
Iban <········@yahoo.fr> writes:

> Greetings,
>
> Can sombody tell me what are the arguments that accept lisp systems like
> LW, ACL, ... :
> the arguments I want are the followings one :
>     - the way to load an alternate core image : with cmucl it is :
> sh-2.04$ lisp -core <PATH>/<name>
>     - the way to eval a form  :  with cmucl : sh-2.04$ lisp -eval
> 'a-lisp-form'
>     - the to load a lisp file : with cmucl : sh-2.04$ lisp -load
> <a-file>
>
> I also need the way to save a lisp system : with cmucl : (save-lisp
> "a-file-name")

I always have to laugh when people ask this question.  On the Lisp Machine,
the arguments given Lisp are the arguments needed by the operating system
in order to run.  e.g., an IP address.

Likewise, on a Lisp Machine, the command to save a lisp has a functionality
more like the thing on Unix that dumps out a new kernel, and is not the way
to create an application, since on such a machine you usually have all your
applications in a single lisp image.

And, likewise, on a Lisp Machine, were there a (quit) function [a way
to exit lisp], it would halt the machine.

It is for these reasons that there is not a portable answer to the question.
The concepts as expressed are not really portable.

Even among non-LispM systems, things may vary.  For example, in LispWorks,
when you do save-image, it gives you a .exe kind of thing.  To get an
alternate "core image", you use a different .exe--you don't use Lisp with
different -core arguments.

Lots of Lisps don't have a way to -eval something, and making a way would
not necessarily be a good idea.  Some lisps start much more slowly than others
and any other program that  wanted to casually evaluate something might be
well advised to start an image and then use inter-process-communication of
some kind to send forms back and forth rather than starting Lisp every time.

Also, even for the -load option, you're going to probably find
variations like whether you can give it more than once, and whether
giving it stops some other file from loading.  For example, LispWorks
has default init files that are loaded unless you override them with
-init.  So if you give -init, you won't be loading an init file.  That
may be what you want, but then again maybe not.

So be careful as you ask these questions what assumptions you are making
about the nature of the answer.
From: Iban HATCHONDO
Kent M Pitman wrote:

> Iban <········@yahoo.fr> writes:
>
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Can sombody tell me what are the arguments that accept lisp systems like
> > LW, ACL, ... :
> > the arguments I want are the followings one :
> >     - the way to load an alternate core image : with cmucl it is :
> > sh-2.04$ lisp -core <PATH>/<name>
> >     - the way to eval a form  :  with cmucl : sh-2.04$ lisp -eval
> > 'a-lisp-form'
> >     - the to load a lisp file : with cmucl : sh-2.04$ lisp -load
> > <a-file>
> >
> > I also need the way to save a lisp system : with cmucl : (save-lisp
> > "a-file-name")
>
> I always have to laugh when people ask this question.  On the Lisp Machine,
> the arguments given Lisp are the arguments needed by the operating system
> in order to run.  e.g., an IP address.
>
> Likewise, on a Lisp Machine, the command to save a lisp has a functionality
> more like the thing on Unix that dumps out a new kernel, and is not the way
> to create an application, since on such a machine you usually have all your
> applications in a single lisp image.
>
> And, likewise, on a Lisp Machine, were there a (quit) function [a way
> to exit lisp], it would halt the machine.
>
> It is for these reasons that there is not a portable answer to the question.
> The concepts as expressed are not really portable.
>
> Even among non-LispM systems, things may vary.  For example, in LispWorks,
> when you do save-image, it gives you a .exe kind of thing.  To get an
> alternate "core image", you use a different .exe--you don't use Lisp with
> different -core arguments.
>
> Lots of Lisps don't have a way to -eval something, and making a way would
> not necessarily be a good idea.  Some lisps start much more slowly than others
> and any other program that  wanted to casually evaluate something might be
> well advised to start an image and then use inter-process-communication of
> some kind to send forms back and forth rather than starting Lisp every time.
>
> Also, even for the -load option, you're going to probably find
> variations like whether you can give it more than once, and whether
> giving it stops some other file from loading.  For example, LispWorks
> has default init files that are loaded unless you override them with
> -init.  So if you give -init, you won't be loading an init file.  That
> may be what you want, but then again maybe not.
>
> So be careful as you ask these questions what assumptions you are making
> about the nature of the answer.

Thanks for those precisions.
My willing is to create an appropriate configure stuff using autoconf, for
compiling and creating start files of the window manager I'm trying (at finally)
to finalize.
I completely, and only, developed and test it under cmucl.
I supposed, it could be better, to have a configure script, that create the
Makefiles, and the others scripts, for compiling and lunch the wm, in order to
test and use it.
But if you have better solution or advise to do so, please, don't let me in
ignorance.

Iban
From: Barry Margolin
In article <···············@world.std.com>,
Kent M Pitman  <······@world.std.com> wrote:
>Iban <········@yahoo.fr> writes:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Can sombody tell me what are the arguments that accept lisp systems like
>> LW, ACL, ... :
>> the arguments I want are the followings one :
>>     - the way to load an alternate core image : with cmucl it is :
>> sh-2.04$ lisp -core <PATH>/<name>
>>     - the way to eval a form  :  with cmucl : sh-2.04$ lisp -eval
>> 'a-lisp-form'
>>     - the to load a lisp file : with cmucl : sh-2.04$ lisp -load
>> <a-file>
>>
>> I also need the way to save a lisp system : with cmucl : (save-lisp
>> "a-file-name")
>
>I always have to laugh when people ask this question.  On the Lisp Machine,
>the arguments given Lisp are the arguments needed by the operating system
>in order to run.  e.g., an IP address.

But a Lisp Machine is not "like like LW, ACL".  It's very *unlike* them, so
it's silly to answer a question specifically about Lisp systems that run on
traditional operating systems with info about Lisp Machines.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA
From: Kent M Pitman
Barry Margolin <······@genuity.net> writes:

> In article <···············@world.std.com>,
> Kent M Pitman  <······@world.std.com> wrote:
> >Iban <········@yahoo.fr> writes:
> >
> >> Greetings,
> >>
> >> Can sombody tell me what are the arguments that accept lisp systems like
> >> LW, ACL, ... :
> >> the arguments I want are the followings one :
> >>     - the way to load an alternate core image : with cmucl it is :
> >> sh-2.04$ lisp -core <PATH>/<name>
> >>     - the way to eval a form  :  with cmucl : sh-2.04$ lisp -eval
> >> 'a-lisp-form'
> >>     - the to load a lisp file : with cmucl : sh-2.04$ lisp -load
> >> <a-file>
> >>
> >> I also need the way to save a lisp system : with cmucl : (save-lisp
> >> "a-file-name")
> >
> >I always have to laugh when people ask this question.  On the Lisp Machine,
> >the arguments given Lisp are the arguments needed by the operating system
> >in order to run.  e.g., an IP address.
>
> But a Lisp Machine is not "like like LW, ACL".  It's very *unlike* them, so
> it's silly to answer a question specifically about Lisp systems that run on
> traditional operating systems with info about Lisp Machines.

Well, those are just the most extreme cases, but they were intended to
stretch the imagination about how much things could vary.  Even among
the more standard options, some start from a standard image with a core
image as a separate module, some use a consolidated exe.  And for some,
offering a -eval would be like the recently discussed issue of offering
set-file-position as a linear seek when a program expects it to directly
position... It's almost a disservice if the slowness is more than a certain
amount.

I wans't really trying to belittle the question.  These are very
legitimate needs.  But one ought not expect the answer to be simple
form-filling.  It's sort of like saying "I'm wondering how other
people are planning their retirement--that is, how many shares of
Microsoft stock do you buy each month?"  The form of the question
presupposes a certain form of the answer that is overly narrow.
But it doesn't mean the question is after a bad thing...
From: Janis Dzerins
Barry Margolin <······@genuity.net> writes:

> In article <···············@world.std.com>,
> Kent M Pitman  <······@world.std.com> wrote:
> >Iban <········@yahoo.fr> writes:
> >
> >> Greetings,
> >>
> >> Can sombody tell me what are the arguments that accept lisp
> >> systems like LW, ACL, ... :
> >> the arguments I want are the followings one :
> >>     - the way to load an alternate core image : with cmucl it is :
> >> sh-2.04$ lisp -core <PATH>/<name>
> >>     - the way to eval a form  :  with cmucl : sh-2.04$ lisp -eval
> >> 'a-lisp-form'
> >>     - the to load a lisp file : with cmucl : sh-2.04$ lisp -load
> >> <a-file>
> >>
> >> I also need the way to save a lisp system : with cmucl : (save-lisp
> >> "a-file-name")
> >
> >I always have to laugh when people ask this question.  On the Lisp
> >Machine, the arguments given Lisp are the arguments needed by the
> >operating system in order to run.  e.g., an IP address.
>
> But a Lisp Machine is not "like like LW, ACL".  It's very *unlike*
> them, so it's silly to answer a question specifically about Lisp
> systems that run on traditional operating systems with info about
> Lisp Machines.

I, on the other hand, found Kent's post very educational and
entertaining. And I would be happy to see more of them in the future
because I have never seen a real Lisp Machine, not even talking about
having any experiences with them.

--
Janis Dzerins

  If million people say a stupid thing it's still a stupid thing.