From: Neil Zanella
Subject: GCL: make error
Hello,

I am somewhat new to LISP.
I have just downloaded GNU Common Lisp 2.4.0 on a PIII running Red Hat
Linux 7.1 and came across the following make error after doing a configure
and a make:

make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/gcl-2.4.0/unixport'
cc -c  -I../h   -c -o ../mp/mpi.o ../mp/mpi.c
cc -c  -I../h   -c -o ../mp/mp2.o ../mp/mp2.c
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `../mp/libmport.a', needed by
`raw_gcl'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/gcl-2.4.0/unixport'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Apparently GCL is the new name for the Austin Kyoto Common Lisp (AKCL)
which in turn is derived from the Kyoto Common Lisp (KCL). There seem
to be other GNU implementations of ANSI Common Lisp such as GNU CLISP.
There is a README file for GNU CLIPS on ftp.gnu.org but strangely the
sources do not appear there and must be downloaded from
clisp.sourceforge.net. There are other GNU versions of
LISP as well such as ILISP, CLX, and maybe more.
There seem to be other freely available versions
of LISP as well. The CLISP package compiled fine
on my system (clisp 2.27). Besides this I am
somewhat surprised that there are so many
different versions of lisp out there.
After all I didn't think LISP was
that popular. But it has been
around for a long time.

Which implementation of ANSI Common LISP would you recommend?

Thanks,

Neil
From: Peter Wood
Subject: Re: GCL: make error
Neil Zanella <········@garfield.cs.mun.ca> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am somewhat new to LISP.
> I have just downloaded GNU Common Lisp 2.4.0 on a PIII running Red Hat
> Linux 7.1 and came across the following make error after doing a configure
> and a make:
>
> make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/gcl-2.4.0/unixport'
> cc -c  -I../h   -c -o ../mp/mpi.o ../mp/mpi.c
> cc -c  -I../h   -c -o ../mp/mp2.o ../mp/mp2.c
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `../mp/libmport.a', needed by
> `raw_gcl'.  Stop.
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/gcl-2.4.0/unixport'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> Apparently GCL is the new name for the Austin Kyoto Common Lisp (AKCL)
> which in turn is derived from the Kyoto Common Lisp (KCL).

GNU is looking for a new maintainer for GCL and MAXIMA, as William
Schelter recently passed away.

> There seem
> to be other GNU implementations of ANSI Common Lisp such as GNU CLISP.
> There is a README file for GNU CLIPS on ftp.gnu.org but strangely the
> sources do not appear there and must be downloaded from
> clisp.sourceforge.net. There are other GNU versions of
> LISP as well such as ILISP, CLX, and maybe more.

ILISP is an Emacs package which provides a convenient interface to
many Lisp and Scheme implementations.  It's not itself a Lisp.  CLX
provides Lisp access to X, so you can do gui programming with Lisp,
but it's quite low-level.

> There seem to be other freely available versions
> of LISP as well. The CLISP package compiled fine
> on my system (clisp 2.27). Besides this I am
> somewhat surprised that there are so many
> different versions of lisp out there.
> After all I didn't think LISP was
> that popular. But it has been
> around for a long time.
>
> Which implementation of ANSI Common LISP would you recommend?

I recommend Clisp.  It's mostly ANSI compliant.  It's GPL'd so you get
full access to the sources, and can modify them to suit yourself.  You
can run it conveniently on a console or xterm, since it uses the GNU
Readline library.  It's fast, compared to Python, light, and responsive.

Very few functions have documentation strings, but it provides a
convenient interface to accessing the Hyperspec, which is the
definitive reference for Common Lisp.

Regards,
Peter