From: Luciano Ribichini
Subject: hallo world in lisp
hallo,
I use Linux (kernel 2.2.x)
I would like to try the LISP language.

Can you tell me where to find a free/GLP lisp (interpreter, compiler or
what else )
and how to run the lisp variant of the famuos hallo world! c-program ?

Thanks
Luciano

From: Coby Beck
Subject: Re: hallo world in lisp
"Luciano Ribichini" <···@mpq.mpg.de> wrote in message
······················@mpq.mpg.de...
> hallo,
> I use Linux (kernel 2.2.x)
> I would like to try the LISP language.
>
> Can you tell me where to find a free/GLP lisp (interpreter, compiler or
> what else )
> and how to run the lisp variant of the famuos hallo world! c-program ?

CL-USER 297 > (defun hey! (&optional (stream *standard-output*))
                                (format stream "~&Hello World!"))
HEY!

CL-USER 298 > (hey!)
Hello World!
NIL

Coby
--
(remove #\space "coby . beck @ opentechgroup . com")
From: Erik Naggum
* Luciano Ribichini
> I use Linux (kernel 2.2.x)

  Which distribution?

> I would like to try the LISP language.

  Good!

> Can you tell me where to find a free/GLP lisp (interpreter, compiler or
> what else) and how to run the lisp variant of the famuos hallo world!
> c-program?

  If you use Debian GNU/Linux, just apt-get install cmucl or clisp.

  The famous C program is famous for its ablity to produce an executable
  with a minimal amount of fuss.  It really shows off the Unix environment,
  and not the language.  However, an executable is only a funtcion that
  resides on disk in the Unix file sysem and which you call from the
  shell's read-execute interactive loop.  Common Lisp systems offer their
  own interactive loop, called the read-eval-print loop and do not
  generally take part in the shell interactive loop the same way other
  languages do.  Some find this a insurmountable obstacle to using Common
  Lisp, others love it.  However, the code for the core program is simple:

(defun hello-world ()
  (write-line "Hello, Lisp world!"))

  Suppose you put this in a file, hello.cl.  To compile it, evaluate

(compile "hello.cl")

  You now have an object file that can be loaded into the Common Lisp
  system:

(load "hello")

  You are now ready to execute the hello-world function:

(hello-world)

  If you want to run an "executable" from the shell interactive loop, there
  are many ways to accomplish this, but no standard way.  Suppose you use
  CLISP and have a Linux kernel with misc-binaries support you can do this,
  as root:

echo ":CLISP:E::fas::/usr/bin/clisp:" >> /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/register
echo ":CLISP:E::lisp::/usr/bin/clisp:" >> /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/register

  You can now actually just write

(write-line "hello, Lisp world!")

  into the file hello.lisp and chmod +x hello.lisp and execute it directly.
  Note that you would have to add (hello-world) at the end of the hello.cl
  file I indicated above to execute anything.

///
From: Friedrich Dominicus
Erik Naggum <····@naggum.net> writes:

>   If you want to run an "executable" from the shell interactive loop, there
>   are many ways to accomplish this, but no standard way.  Suppose you use
>   CLISP and have a Linux kernel with misc-binaries support you can do this,
>   as root:
>
> echo ":CLISP:E::fas::/usr/bin/clisp:" >> /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/register
> echo ":CLISP:E::lisp::/usr/bin/clisp:" >>
>/proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/register
Thanks Eric, that's new for me. Well that' really nice. And it works
like a charm.

Regards
Friedrich
From: Friedrich Dominicus
Luciano Ribichini <···@mpq.mpg.de> writes:

> hallo,
> I use Linux (kernel 2.2.x)
> I would like to try the LISP language.
>
> Can you tell me where to find a free/GLP lisp (interpreter, compiler or
> what else )
CMUCL, CLISP, the free versions of commercial product (LispWorks, ACL,
MCL and probably some more)
> and how to run the lisp variant of the famuos hallo world! c-program ?
(print "Hello World")

Regards
Friedrich
From: Erik Winkels
Luciano Ribichini <···@mpq.mpg.de> writes:

> I use Linux (kernel 2.2.x)

On the off chance that you are running Debian: CMUCL and CLISP are
included in the distribution.

> I would like to try the LISP language.

Enjoy!

> Can you tell me where to find a free/GLP lisp (interpreter, compiler
> or what else )

This might be a good starting point:

    http://ww.telent.net/cliki/Common%20Lisp%20implementation

or this:

    http://clisp.sourceforge.net/

> and how to run the lisp variant of the famuos hallo world! c-program ?

This will not teach you much, I'm afraid, but here you are:

    (format t "~&Hello World!~%")

Here's a link on Lisp books, some of which can be gotten off the net:

    http://www.lisp.org/table/learn.htm

cheers,
Erik
From: Janis Dzerins

Have you tried http://groups.google.com/groups?q=hello+world&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&meta=site%3Dgroups%26group%3Dcomp.lang.lisp ?

--
Janis Dzerins

  If million people say a stupid thing it's still a stupid thing.
From: Harri J Haataja
Luciano Ribichini wrote:
>I use Linux (kernel 2.2.x)
>I would like to try the LISP language.
>
>Can you tell me where to find a free/GLP lisp (interpreter, compiler or
>what else )

Couple of (perhaps a bit strange) lisp interpreters may also have sneaked
into your system already - emacs and rep.

--
along with a metric assload of rebar -- Carl Jacobs
What's that in Imperial arseloads? -- Alistair J. R. Young