From: Suvrit Sra
Subject: Trouble compiling gcl-2.4.0
Hi

I downloaded gcl-2.4.0 sources recently and tried to compile them on
my Redhat 7.1 box and the compilation did not complete. I then
upgraded my gcc from 2.96 to 3.0.1 hoping that could solve
problems...but still gcl does not compile.

I have a feeling that this problem has got to do something with make
or sed or gcc because gcl-2.4.0 compiled just fine for me on Redhat
6.1!!

Any pointers on what could be going wrong?

Thanks
--
Suvrit Sra

From: Michael A. Koerber
Subject: Re: Trouble compiling gcl-2.4.0
Suvrit Sra wrote:

> Hi
>
> I downloaded gcl-2.4.0 sources recently and tried to compile them on
> my Redhat 7.1 box and the compilation did not complete. I then
> upgraded my gcc from 2.96 to 3.0.1 hoping that could solve
> problems...but still gcl does not compile.
>
> I have a feeling that this problem has got to do something with make
> or sed or gcc because gcl-2.4.0 compiled just fine for me on Redhat
> 6.1!!

Yes...I had this type of problem to and found that w/ RH 7.x that EMACS
produced a multi-line output, not a single line output that was expected
in the CONFIGURE program.  Below is a hack that I sent to WFS for future
incorporation...I hope this  works for your problem.

===== HACK FOLLOWS =====
[····@koerber gcl-2.4.0]# diff configure makconfigure
2555c2555
< EMACS_SITE_LISP=`emacs -q -batch -l conftest.el 2>&1 | sed -e
---
> EMACS_SITE_LISP=`emacs -q -batch -l conftest.el 2>&1 | sed -e /Loading/d | sed -e /load/d`
2596c2596
< INFO_DIR=`emacs -q -batch -l conftest.el 2>&1 | sed -e /Loading/d `
---
> INFO_DIR=`emacs -q -batch -l conftest.el 2>&1 | sed -e /Loading/d | sed -e /load/d `
3215d3214
<

=== END OF HACK ====

mak
Dr Michael A. Koerber       We child proofed our home 3 years ago
MIT/Lincoln Laboratory      and they're still getting in!
···@ll.mit.edu
From: Nels Tomlinson
Wow! Thanks!

I struggled with that for quite a while, but didn't know quite enough
about what was going on to figure it out.  I'll give this a try.

Thanks again,
Nels