From: Will Fitzgerald
Subject: Re: AllegroServe, Gray streams, CLOCC and all that ...
"Will Fitzgerald" <···············@worldnet.att.net.no.spam.please> wrote in message news:<······················@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...
> Hello,
>
> I've installed CMUCL under Linux, and have started trying to load Jochen
> Schmidt's Allegroserve port
> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/portableaserve/).
>
> There are a number of dependencies, including Gray streams for CMUCL.
>
> Is there a standard way of installing standard libraries (from CLOCC?) so
> that Portable Allegroserve happens somewhat easily?
>
> Will Fitzgerald

I was successful in loading Portable Allegroserve into a 'virgin'
CMUCL image under RedHat Linux -- here's what I had to do (after
getting the code, of course).

1. Start CMUCL

2. Load the Gray streams for CMUCL
   (load "library:subsystems/gray-streams-library")

3. Load the defsystem code (listed as "DEFSYSTEM Interim 3.2") from, I
think, the CLOCC project. I stored this locally in my directory.
   (load "defsystem.lisp")

4. Comment out the following lines from the Portable Allegroserve file
INSTALL.LISP:

;(unless (member :gray-streams *features*)
;  (mk:oos :cmucl-graystream :load))

5. Load INSTALL.LISP
   (load "INSTALL.LISP")

Thanks for all who responded.

Will Fitzgerald
From: Jochen Schmidt
Will Fitzgerald wrote:

> "Will Fitzgerald" <···············@worldnet.att.net.no.spam.please> wrote
> in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've installed CMUCL under Linux, and have started trying to load Jochen
>> Schmidt's Allegroserve port
>> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/portableaserve/).
>>
>> There are a number of dependencies, including Gray streams for CMUCL.
>>
>> Is there a standard way of installing standard libraries (from CLOCC?) so
>> that Portable Allegroserve happens somewhat easily?
>>
>> Will Fitzgerald
>
> I was successful in loading Portable Allegroserve into a 'virgin'
> CMUCL image under RedHat Linux -- here's what I had to do (after
> getting the code, of course).
>
> 1. Start CMUCL
>
> 2. Load the Gray streams for CMUCL
>    (load "library:subsystems/gray-streams-library")
>
> 3. Load the defsystem code (listed as "DEFSYSTEM Interim 3.2") from, I
> think, the CLOCC project. I stored this locally in my directory.
>    (load "defsystem.lisp")
>
> 4. Comment out the following lines from the Portable Allegroserve file
> INSTALL.LISP:
>
> ;(unless (member :gray-streams *features*)
> ;  (mk:oos :cmucl-graystream :load))

Instead of commenting it out you can simply do a (push :gray-streams
*features*) into your .cmucl-init.lisp

ciao,
Jochen