From: Marcin Tustin
Subject: Least pain in getting optional packages
        Which is going to be the least painful option: recompiling
cmucl or adapting the debian packages?
        I'm using 18c at present, but gray
streams aren't available precompiled for 18c - I might also need to
recompile some motif stuff to work (So that I can use McClim). The
debian packages have everything precompiled, but I need to install on
a machine which isn't my own, complying with the local conventions for
placing stuff.

Thanks for the advice, people.

From: Pierre R. Mai
Subject: Re: Least pain in getting optional packages
Marcin Tustin <·····@benedict.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-shoot-me> writes:

>         Which is going to be the least painful option: recompiling
> cmucl or adapting the debian packages?
>         I'm using 18c at present, but gray
> streams aren't available precompiled for 18c - I might also need to

This is definitely not true!  The official 18c binary release of CMU
CL comes with a gray-streams library.  You can load it with

(load "library:subsystems/gray-streams-library")

unless you manually changed stuff around.

> recompile some motif stuff to work (So that I can use McClim). The

CMU CL's CLM is included in the extra tarball of the standard 18c
binary release.  The included motifd binary is dynamically linked
against Motif 1.2 libraries, and hence works with official Motif and
Lesstif.  If you only have Motif 2.x libraries (which is the case if
you use the Open Motif releases, which omit 1.2 libraries), you might
need to download the motifd-motif2x tarballs, which contain a
replacement motifd linked against 2.x libs (note that CMU CL's CLM was
developed against 1.x, and hasn't been extensively tested against
2.x).

The same content as the release tarballs has also been packaged up as
RPMs by Miles Egan.  The RPMs are currently available from

http://www.caddr.com/cmucl/

Regs, Pierre.

--
Pierre R. Mai <····@acm.org>                    http://www.pmsf.de/pmai/
 We cause accidents.                           -- Nathaniel Borenstein
From: Richard Krush
Marcin Tustin <·····@benedict.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-shoot-me> wrote:
> I'm using 18c at present, but gray streams aren't available precompiled
> for 18c

Gray-streams, CLM, anc CLX are available in the "extras" tarball in the
release directory for 18c on the FTP.

> I might also need to recompile some motif stuff to work (So that I
> can use McClim).

I will not say anything about motif not working, but I will say that Motif
has nothing to do with McClim. All you need for McClim is CLX, which is
included in the "extras" tarball, as I said above.

Good Luck!

--
 Richard Krushelnitskiy   "I know not with what weapons World War III will
 ·········@gmx.net         be fought, but World War IV will be fought with