From: Frank Goenninger
Subject: ILISP w/XEmacs: No such file or directory: c:\lisp.exe ???
Hi all!

I just failed once again to setup a LWW 4.1 to XEmacs
21.4 connection using ILISP with the following initialisation
file:

---START---

;;; Header deleted to save bandwidth

;; Harlequin
(autoload 'lispworks  "ilisp"
    "Inferior Harlequin Common Lisp (LispWorks)." t)

(setq lispworks-program
      "c:\\lisp.exe")

;;; This makes reading a Lisp or Scheme file load in ILISP.

(set-default 'auto-mode-alist
	     (append '(("\\.lisp$" . lisp-mode)
                       ("\\.lsp$" . lisp-mode)
                       ("\\.cl$" . lisp-mode))
                     auto-mode-alist))

(setq lisp-mode-hook '(lambda () (require 'ilisp)))

;;; Configuration of Erik Naggum's HyperSpec access package.

;; If you have a local copy of the HyperSpec, set its path here.
; (setq common-lisp-hyperspec-root
;       "file:/home/joe/HyperSpec/")

(add-hook 'ilisp-load-hook
          '(lambda ()
             ;; Change default key prefix to C-c
             (setq ilisp-*prefix* "\C-c")

             ;; Set a keybinding for the COMMON-LISP-HYPERSPEC command
             (defkey-ilisp "" 'common-lisp-hyperspec)

             ;; Make sure that you don't keep popping up the 'inferior
             ;; Lisp' buffer window when this is already visible in
             ;; another frame. Actually this variable has more impact
             ;; than that. Watch out.
             ; (setq pop-up-frames t)

             (message "Running ilisp-load-hook")
             ;; Define LispMachine-like key bindings, too.
             ; (ilisp-lispm-bindings) Sample initialization hook.

             ;; Set the inferior Lisp directory to the directory of
             ;; the buffer that spawned it on the first prompt.
             (add-hook 'ilisp-init-hook
                       '(lambda ()
                          (default-directory-lisp ilisp-last-buffer)))
             ))

---END---

The platform is W2K. The original path to the LWW exe file is, as usual
on Windows, the following:

C:\Program Files\Harlequin\LispWorks Personal\lispworks-personal-4100.exe

As this did not work I created a shortcut just under C:\ with the name
lisp.exe.

Any ideas, hints, etc - I am really stuck. I am not too familiar with
(X)Emacs. Any pointer into a direction would do, I still am eager enough
to find this out for myself ;-)

Thanks a lot!

Regards,
  Frank
From: Will Deakin
Frank Goenninger wrote:

> The platform is W2K. The original path to the LWW exe file is, as usual
> on Windows, the following:
>
> C:\Program Files\Harlequin\LispWorks Personal\lispworks-personal-4100.exe
>
> As this did not work I created a shortcut just under C:\ with the name
> lisp.exe.
>
> Any ideas, hints, etc - I am really stuck. I am not too familiar with
> (X)Emacs. Any pointer into a direction would do, I still am eager enough
> to find this out for myself ;-)
Have you dump'd the tty (or whatever the windows equivalent version) core[1]?

This may not be possible however, as IIRC you may not be able to
save-image LispWorks personal. In this case either buy LispWorks,
don't use ilisp, or use a different compiler.

Best Regards,

Will Deakin

[1] Cut from mail from Dave Fox from xanalys posted the ilisp-devel
list and included in forthcoming releases of ilisp documentation:
  o Xanalys LispWorks

         On Windows and Linux, the LispWorks executable should be resaved
         without the GUI.  In addition, on Windows it MUST be resaved as a
         console application to ensure correct interaction with Emacs
shell
         buffers.  Create a script (let's call it `console.lisp')
including
         the following:

           (load-all-patches)
           (save-image "lw42-console" :console t :environment nil)
           (quit)

         and run it using:

           <dir>/lispworks-4200 -init <dir>/console.lisp

         When the `lw42-console' image has been created, it can be used as
         the value of the `lispworks-program' variable in ILISP.

         If you are using LispWorks 4.1 with Emacs 20.4 or higher on
         Windows, then ensure you're at patch level 4.1.20. This patch
         bundle includes patches (LSC #7270, LSC #7727 and LSC #7291)
         that make it work with ILISP.  For more information check the
         README file which comes with the bundle.

Can you dump the