From: Erik Naggum
Subject: Re: Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Encyclopedia
* Kenny Tilton
| Did they say Java was write-once, run many?  Did they say C++ was
| powerful?

  For purposes of the discussion about the level of accuracy, detail and
  "political party"-like treatment that Lisp got in comparison with other
  languages get, it might be worth looking at the entries for Java and C++:

Java - Modular object-oriented programming lgnauge developed by Sun
    Microsystems in 1995 specifically for the Internet.  Java is based on
    the ida that the same software should run on many different kinds of
    computers, consumer gadgets, and other devices; its code is translated
    according to the needs of the machine on which it is running.  The most
    visible examples of Java software are the interactive programs called
    "applets" that animate sites on the World Wide Web, where Java is a
    standard creative tool.  Java provides an interface to HTML.

C++ - Object-oriented version (see object-oriented programming) of the
    computer programming language C.  Developed by Bjarne Stroustrup of
    Bell Laboratories in the early 1980s, it is a traditional C language
    with added object-oriented capabilities.  C++, along with Java, has
    become popular for developing commercial software packages that
    incorporate multiple interrelated applications.

///
--
  Norway is now run by a priest from the fundamentalist Christian People's
  Party, the fifth largest party representing one eighth of the electorate.

From: Hartmann Schaffer
In article <················@naggum.net>,
	Erik Naggum <····@naggum.net> writes:
> * Kenny Tilton
>| Did they say Java was write-once, run many?  Did they say C++ was
>| powerful?
>
>   For purposes of the discussion about the level of accuracy, detail and
>   "political party"-like treatment that Lisp got in comparison with other
>   languages get, it might be worth looking at the entries for Java and C++:
>
> Java - Modular object-oriented programming lgnauge developed by Sun
>     Microsystems in 1995 specifically for the Internet.  Java is based on
>     the ida that the same software should run on many different kinds of
>     computers, consumer gadgets, and other devices; its code is translated
>     according to the needs of the machine on which it is running.  The most

up to here that's probably true for nearly every programming language
that has compilers for more than one architecture

hs

--

Apart from the obvious disagreement about who the good guys are, what
is the difference between "You are either with us or against us" and
From: Barry Margolin
In article <········@news.sentex.net>,
Hartmann Schaffer <··@heaven.nirvananet> wrote:
>In article <················@naggum.net>,
>	Erik Naggum <····@naggum.net> writes:
>> * Kenny Tilton
>>| Did they say Java was write-once, run many?  Did they say C++ was
>>| powerful?
>>
>>   For purposes of the discussion about the level of accuracy, detail and
>>   "political party"-like treatment that Lisp got in comparison with other
>>   languages get, it might be worth looking at the entries for Java and C++:
>>
>> Java - Modular object-oriented programming lgnauge developed by Sun
>>     Microsystems in 1995 specifically for the Internet.  Java is based on
>>     the ida that the same software should run on many different kinds of
>>     computers, consumer gadgets, and other devices; its code is translated
>>     according to the needs of the machine on which it is running.  The most
>
>up to here that's probably true for nearly every programming language
>that has compilers for more than one architecture

True, it's generally been the intent of high-level programming languages.
But some try harder than others.  For instance, C has a number of features
that are explicitly left implementation-dependent, so that they can
translate easily into whatever the corresponding hardware operation is.

The big difference in Java's case is that much of its design and
development were related to its use on the web (yes, I know it wasn't
*originally* designed for the web, but by the time it got out of the lab
that's what it was for).  With most other application environments, the
developer has some control over how and where the application will run
(e.g. he might choose to sell binary executables that have only been
compiled for a particular machine/OS, so he doesn't have to deal with
porting issues).  Because Java applets are most often run on a system
completely outside the control of the developer, environmental independence
is an even more critical feature.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA
From: Lieven Marchand
Erik Naggum <····@naggum.net> writes:

>   For purposes of the discussion about the level of accuracy, detail and
>   "political party"-like treatment that Lisp got in comparison with other
>   languages get, it might be worth looking at the entries for Java and C++:
>
> Java - Modular object-oriented programming lgnauge developed by Sun
>     Microsystems in 1995 specifically for the Internet.  Java is based on

They echo the current Sun propaganda but Java was originally designed
for embedded devices.

>     the ida that the same software should run on many different kinds of
>     computers, consumer gadgets, and other devices; its code is translated
>     according to the needs of the machine on which it is running.  The most
>     visible examples of Java software are the interactive programs called
>     "applets" that animate sites on the World Wide Web, where Java is a
>     standard creative tool.  Java provides an interface to HTML.
>
> C++ - Object-oriented version (see object-oriented programming) of the
>     computer programming language C.  Developed by Bjarne Stroustrup of
>     Bell Laboratories in the early 1980s, it is a traditional C language
>     with added object-oriented capabilities.  C++, along with Java, has
>     become popular for developing commercial software packages that
>     incorporate multiple interrelated applications.

I'm not aware of any major commercial software packages written in
Java. They have tried to rewrite the WordPerfect suite in Java but the
project was a failure.

Completely unrelated but the October number of CACM contains an
article by Henry Legard with the following fascinating quote: "In
parallel with the development of CASE came the C++ language - a super
set of C, but still a simple language." I'd hate to see something that
man considers a complex language.

--
Lieven Marchand <···@wyrd.be>
She says, "Honey, you're a Bastard of great proportion."
From: Marcin Tustin
Erik Naggum <····@naggum.net> writes:

> * Kenny Tilton
> | Did they say Java was write-once, run many?  Did they say C++ was
> | powerful?
>
>   For purposes of the discussion about the level of accuracy, detail and
>   "political party"-like treatment that Lisp got in comparison with other
>   languages get, it might be worth looking at the entries for Java and C++:

        Basically the standard folklore, also.
From: Israel R T
Subject: Lisp entry changed in Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Encyclopedia
The lisp entry has now been changed to
": a computer programming language that is designed for easy
manipulation of data strings and is used extensively for work in
artificial intelligence"

check
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary

Unfortunately, they still do not have an entry for Haskell or SML :-(
From: Erik Naggum
* Israel R T <········@optushome.com.au>
:
| check
| http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary

  You might be surprised to learn that there is a subtle difference between
  a dictionary and an encyclopedia, such as completely different contents,
  despite certain trademarks and words in large print on the dust jacket
  that a not very bright observer may find sufficiently similar to jump to
  wrong conclusions.

///