From: Thomas F. Burdick
Subject: Re: Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Encyclopedia
···@itasoftware.com writes:

> Gabe Garza <·······@ix.netcom.com> writes:
>
> > I propose we rename Common Lisp to something that is all capital
> > letters and doesn't have "Lisp" has a substring, adopt some kind of
> > cute furry critter has a mascot, and flood the market with 3000 page
> > "Teach Yourself <new name> in 21 Days" books.  Everyone will start
> > using Lisp.
>
> Visual L++

And S-expressions should probably be written with curly-braces,
because everyone knows that's the modern way:

  {
   let {
        {new-lang {find-L++}}
       }
    {
     if {
         and {market-y-p new-lang}
             {lots-of-curly-braces-p new-lang}
        }
        {succeed}
        {error "You need to modernize your language!"}
    }
  }

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |
From: Gabe Garza
···@apocalypse.OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Thomas F. Burdick) writes:

> ···@itasoftware.com writes:
>
> > Gabe Garza <·······@ix.netcom.com> writes:
> >
> > > I propose we rename Common Lisp to something that is all capital
> > > letters and doesn't have "Lisp" has a substring, adopt some kind of
> > > cute furry critter has a mascot, and flood the market with 3000 page
> > > "Teach Yourself <new name> in 21 Days" books.  Everyone will start
> > > using Lisp.
> >
> > Visual L++
>
> And S-expressions should probably be written with curly-braces,
> because everyone knows that's the modern way:

   Curly braces are *so* 80's.  We need to use angle brackets, so people
will think it's some kind of futuristic XML.

<defun fact <x>
  <if <= x 0> 1 <* x <fact <1- x>>>>>

(progn
  (set-syntax-from-char #\< #\()
  (set-syntax-from-char #\> #\))
  (set-macro-character #\< (lambda (stream char)
			     (declare (ignore char))
                             (read-delimited-list #\> stream)))
  (set-syntax-from-char #\( #\a)
  (set-syntax-from-char #\) #\a)

  (defun l++-print-cons (*standard-output* cons)
    (write-char #\<)
    (unless (null cons)
      (loop
          (prin1 (car cons))
          (cond
            ((consp (cdr cons))
             (setf cons (cdr cons))
             (write-char #\Space))
            ((not (null (cdr cons)))
             (write-string " . ")
             (prin1 (cdr cons))
             (return))
            (t
             (return)))))
    (write-char #\>))
  (set-pprint-dispatch 'list #'l++-print-cons))

Gabe Garza