From: Jordan Rosenthal
Subject: Cannot get ILISP working with GCL
Hi,

I am trying to get ILISP working with a variant of GCL.

I followed the instructions and everything works fine up to the point
where I need to run the command:  ilisp-compile-inits.  At this point, I
get the error:

"Error:  Cannot find the external symbol ILISP-COMPILE-FILE in #<"ILISP"
package

Does anybody know what I did wrong or how to fix this problem?

Thanks,

Jordan

From: Will Deakin
Subject: Re: Cannot get ILISP working with GCL
Jordan wrote:

> I am trying to get ILISP working with a variant of GCL.

Uhhh. Which gcl, under what platform and what version of (x)emacs?

> Does anybody know what I did wrong or how to fix this problem?

When the vagueneww is resolved, there is a change that something could
be done...

:)w
From: Jordan Rosenthal
Hi,

Ah yes, I guess that would be important information, huh?  Sorry about
that. :)

I am running a custom LISP implementation, but it is based on gcl-2.3.7.
The Emacs version is Emacs 19.34.1 on sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1.

In the installation documentation, there was the following paragraph:

%---
The binary files should have a unique extension for each different
combination of architecture and Lisp dialect.  You will need to change
ILISP-INIT-BINARY-EXTENSION and ILISP-INIT-BINARY-COMMAND to get
additional
extensions.  The binary for each different architecture should be
different.  If you want to build the interface files into a Lisp world,
you
will also need to set ILISP-LOAD-INITS to NIL in the same place that you
change ILISP-PROGRAM to load the Lisp world.
%---

I really don't understand what this paragraph is telling me.  It appears
that I must change the variables mentioned, but it doesn't give me any
indication what I should change them to.  So for now, I have not set these
in my .emacs file.

Jordan

From: Jordan Rosenthal
One more thing to add...I am using the latest version of ILISP, which I got
off of soundforce a few days ago.

Jordan

From: Will Deakin
Jordan wrote:

> I am running a custom LISP implementation, but it is based on gcl-2.3.7.
> The Emacs version is Emacs 19.34.1 on sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1.
>
> In the installation documentation, there was the following paragraph:
> I really don't understand what this paragraph is telling me.  It appears
> that I must change the variables mentioned, but it doesn't give me any
> indication what I should change them to.  So for now, I have not set these
> in my .emacs file.

I'm sure this doesn't solves your problem but here goes. I had a play
with ilisp and gcl-2.4.0 last night and there is a problem with gcl's
non-compliance to the ANSI spec. Grovelling through the gcl code there
is no defpackage command -- which is used by ilisp[1].

There are also some notes in the HISTORY, ilisp-pkg.lisp and
cl-ilisp.lisp by Marco Antoniotti referring to a fix from Raymond Toy
about compatibility problems with gcl. I don't know about this but
will poke Marco and ask him if he can remember anything about this.

gcl is broken -- in ways that seem to me that it is not a(n ansi)
common lisp -- and I would, humbly, suggest that maybe you might try a
  more conforming ansi common lisp. Also there seems to be some hacks
to fix this but, due to my limited abilities, these are not
immediately obvious to me.

Sorry I could not be of more help and that it took such a long time to
  give you an answer.

:)w

[1] although there is a make-package which sort of does some of the
things that defpackage does. Maybe this is a way to go?
From: Jordan Rosenthal
Will,

Thanks for answering.

> There are also some notes in the HISTORY, ilisp-pkg.lisp and
> cl-ilisp.lisp by Marco Antoniotti referring to a fix from Raymond Toy
> about compatibility problems with gcl. I don't know about this but
> will poke Marco and ask him if he can remember anything about this.

Yes, I eventually saw these referenced and made the changes suggested.  It did
work for me.  Another change I needed to make in a couple of files was to change
the default package name to match what my system is using.

> gcl is broken -- in ways that seem to me that it is not a(n ansi)
> common lisp -- and I would, humbly, suggest that maybe you might try a
>   more conforming ansi common lisp.

Unfortunately, I don't have much of a choice and am forced to used what I have.
The lisp implementation I am using is actually built on top of gcl (I set it up
as a subdialect of gcl in ILISP).  They've been using it here for years and
there is too many dependent files to think about switching right now.  Maybe one
day when I've been around here longer I'll make the suggestion, but not now.

> Sorry I could not be of more help and that it took such a long time to
>   give you an answer.

Thanks for answering at all; I definitely appreciate the message.

Actually, I have another problem that you might know the answer to:  If I run a
eval-defun (or eval-defun-and-go) in break mode, ILISP resets everything back to
the top level and then evaluates the defun.  I want it to evaluate the defun in
the current break mode instead.  Do you happen to know how to make it do this?

Thanks,

Jordan
From: Marco Antoniotti
Jordan Rosenthal <ยทยท@ll.mit.edu> writes:

> Will,
>
> Thanks for answering.
>

> > There are also some notes in the HISTORY, ilisp-pkg.lisp and
> > cl-ilisp.lisp by Marco Antoniotti referring to a fix from Raymond Toy
> > about compatibility problems with gcl. I don't know about this but
> > will poke Marco and ask him if he can remember anything about this.
>

> Yes, I eventually saw these referenced and made the changes
> suggested.  It did work for me.  Another change I needed to make in
> a couple of files was to change the default package name to match
> what my system is using.

That is good.  Apart from the DEFPACKAGE and LOOP mess in GCL (have
they been fixed? I am not tracking GCL too closely), what is the
package change you had to make?

> Actually, I have another problem that you might know the answer to:
> If I run a eval-defun (or eval-defun-and-go) in break mode, ILISP
> resets everything back to the top level and then evaluates the
> defun.  I want it to evaluate the defun in the current break mode
> instead.  Do you happen to know how to make it do this?

Seems like something GCL related. Will require some more
investigation.

Cheers

719 Broadway 12th Floor                 fax  +1 - 212 - 995 4122
                    "Hello New York! We'll do what we can!"
                           Bill Murray in `Ghostbusters'.