From: Nonzero
Subject: Newby half way there! Thank you.  One last (hopefully) question.
Hello all.

I really appreciate the help.  I wouldn't be anywhere near where I am
right now if is wasn't for you guys.

Here's what I have done so far...
Downloaded and installed CMUCL
Downloaded ILISP (not fully installed)

It's great, after I installed CMUCL EMACS now knows that I'm working
in lisp.  Keywords change colors, I can get it to evaluate single
statements.  It's great.

The only remaining thing is compiling.  I assume that has to do with
ILISP.  My problems is that I do not understand what I need to add to
my .emacs file.  I read their helpfiles, and it is difficult to
understand.

I unzipped and make ILISP in a directory on my computer like:
/home/me/LISP/ILISP

I don't suppose someone would be willing to help me with what I need
to add to the .emacs file?

Just so you know the problem.  When I try to compile the file I get
the error:
make -lisp
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
Compilation exited abnormally with code 2 at Sat Oct 20 18:50:07

Thanks again
-Nonzero

P.S. Just as a reminder, I am using Red Hat, for what will now be the
3rd day.
From: Pierre R. Mai
··········@hotmail.com (Nonzero) writes:

> I unzipped and make ILISP in a directory on my computer like:
> /home/me/LISP/ILISP

If you use XEmacs, then you should modify the Makefile in that
directory, so that the line saying EMACS=emacs is changed to
EMACS=xemacs.  If you use FSF Emacs, then you don't have to modify
anything.

Now start the compilation of ILISP with a simple call to make:

make

After that add the following lines to your .emacs file:

(setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name "~/LISP/ILISP/") load-path))
(require 'completer)
(autoload 'cmulisp     "ilisp" "Inferior CMU Common Lisp." t)
(setq lisp-mode-hook '(lambda () (require 'ilisp)))
(load "cl-indent")
(setq lisp-indent-function (function common-lisp-indent-function))

The last two lines add better automatic indentation for your Common
Lisp code.

Now you can open any file with a .lisp extension, and you will
automatically get ILISP support.  Use M-x cmulisp to start an inferior
CMU CL process, to which you can type expressions, etc., and which
ILISP will use for completion, loading and compiling of files, etc.

> Just so you know the problem.  When I try to compile the file I get

Which file?  What are you trying to do?  _Don't_ use M-x compile to
compile LISP files with ILISP, use the ILISP specific commands (you
can get an overview of those by typing C-h m in a buffer with
lisp/ilisp-mode.  In particular you want to use C-z k to compile, and
C-z l to load that file into the inferior mode.

Regs, Pierre.

--
Pierre R. Mai <····@acm.org>                    http://www.pmsf.de/pmai/
 We cause accidents.                           -- Nathaniel Borenstein