From: Steven M. Haflich
Subject: Re: Lisp on PPC-Linux?
Oliver Bandel wrote:

> I'm looking for lisp on linux, but on a power-pc-linux.
> If I remember well, some of the Lisps are coming as
> Binary-Distributions, at least the innerst Lisp-Kernel
> comes only as a binary.
> So I need a lisp, which is completely available
> as C-Sources, or where the Binaries are available
> for Linux on PPC too (G4-CPU).

Why would anyone write a Lisp in C?  To make it extra
difficult? (:-)

The free version of Franz Allegro CL is available for
Linux PPC.  Visit www.franz.com and click on Downloads.

From: Oliver Bandel
Steven M. Haflich <·······@pacbell.net> wrote:

> Oliver Bandel wrote:

>> I'm looking for lisp on linux, but on a power-pc-linux.
>> If I remember well, some of the Lisps are coming as
>> Binary-Distributions, at least the innerst Lisp-Kernel
>> comes only as a binary.
>> So I need a lisp, which is completely available
>> as C-Sources, or where the Binaries are available
>> for Linux on PPC too (G4-CPU).

> Why would anyone write a Lisp in C?  To make it extra
> difficult? (:-)

To be portable. Everywhere I look, I find C-compilers,
but Lisp is rare.

> The free version of Franz Allegro CL is available for
> Linux PPC.  Visit www.franz.com and click on Downloads.

Thanks.

Ciao,
   Oliver
From: Thomas F. Burdick
Oliver Bandel <······@first.in-berlin.de> writes:

> Steven M. Haflich <·······@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
> > Oliver Bandel wrote:
>
> >> I'm looking for lisp on linux, but on a power-pc-linux.
> >> If I remember well, some of the Lisps are coming as
> >> Binary-Distributions, at least the innerst Lisp-Kernel
> >> comes only as a binary.
> >> So I need a lisp, which is completely available
> >> as C-Sources, or where the Binaries are available
> >> for Linux on PPC too (G4-CPU).
>
> > Why would anyone write a Lisp in C?  To make it extra
> > difficult? (:-)
>
> To be portable. Everywhere I look, I find C-compilers,
> but Lisp is rare.

That's assuming one of two things: the lisp system compiles to byte
codes (like CLISP), or it compiles to C.  Both of these are going to
be performance hit, and compiling to C can be an a pain in the butt
(I'm compiling to C++, and being thankful for every nuance of the
language above C, which I'm learning would be a real pain to target).

Of course, if the compiler does compile to C, that's no excuse to
write the lisp system in C; just write as much as is absolutely needed
in C, and the rest in lisp.  It's an easy enough bootstrapping
problem.

--
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |