From: Andreas Burghardt
Subject: Theres a DrScheme like Editor for sLisp?
Hello,

theres a DrScheme like editor for cLISP?

Thx in advance,

  Andreas Burghardt.

From: Marco Antoniotti
Subject: Re: Theres a DrScheme like Editor for sLisp?
Andreas Burghardt <········@elapidae.de> writes:

> Hello,
>
> theres a DrScheme like editor for cLISP?
>
> Thx in advance,

It's called (X)Emacs.

Cheers

719 Broadway 12th Floor                 fax  +1 - 212 - 995 4122
                    "Hello New York! We'll do what we can!"
                           Bill Murray in `Ghostbusters'.
From: Carl Shapiro
Marco Antoniotti <·······@cs.nyu.edu> writes:

> Andreas Burghardt <········@elapidae.de> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > theres a DrScheme like editor for cLISP?
> >
> > Thx in advance,
>
> It's called (X)Emacs.

Yow, what incredible smugness!

I saw a demonstration of this environment at LUGM '98 and it seemed to
be incredibly well integrated with the language run-time.  The PLT
debugger (which seemed to be nicely connected to the editor) struck me
as being especially cool.  You can download the paper from the talk at
the URL below:

http://www.cs.rice.edu/CS/PLT/Publications/lugm98-ff.ps.gz

Emacs plus any of the inferior Lisp packages out there cannot give you
this sort of slick integration.
From: Carl Shapiro
Fernando <···@wanadoo.es> writes:

> Try Lispworks, it's quite similar to DrScheme (with some differences, of
> course).

If you're running the LispWorks GUI your choice of debuggers is pretty
good.  I'm quite fond of its source locator facility (I think it works
an awful lot better than what you get with control-meta-shift-c in
Genera).

Unfortunately, I find its editor to be mostly intolerable as it does
not handle indentation correctly in too many places.  For example,
proper indentation of FLET and LABELS is nowhere to be found.  It is
also a complete pain to graft on a fancy LOOP indenter which is an
absolute requirement for those of us who have to spend their days
editing megabytes of source code with fancy LOOP indentation (better
documentation of the editor internals would certainly help).

Lastly, I think it is a real shame that the LispWorks editor never
picked up some of the nifty features of the Dylan editor, such as
being able to have the compiler highlight the variables whose type it
is unable to determine in red.

Fortunately, the 4.2 beta does makes me think that this situation is
getting slightly better.
From: Thomas F. Burdick
Carl Shapiro <········@panix.com> writes:

> Unfortunately, I find its editor to be mostly intolerable as it does
> not handle indentation correctly in too many places.  For example,
> proper indentation of FLET and LABELS is nowhere to be found.  It is
> also a complete pain to graft on a fancy LOOP indenter which is an
> absolute requirement for those of us who have to spend their days
> editing megabytes of source code with fancy LOOP indentation (better
> documentation of the editor internals would certainly help).

Is there a package you ordinarily use to do this?  Possibly for emacs?
(I do find it tedious trying to avoid destroying my carefully-indented
LOOP code)

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |
From: Julian
"Carl Shapiro" <········@panix.com> wrote in message ····················@panix3.panix.com...
> > Try Lispworks, it's quite similar to DrScheme (with some differences, of
> > course).
> <SNIP>
> Fortunately, the 4.2 beta does makes me think that this situation is
> getting slightly better.

Do tell! I can't see anything on the Xanalys web site so I guess the beta is to an
invited audience only. I'm not complaining, I'm a very grateful Personal Edition
"free loader", but I am intensely curious about what is going to be new in 4.2.
You're probably under non disclosure. Any chance of anyone from Xanalys giving
us the highlights of new features in 4.2, or did I fail to find any public info available
on the web site?

    Julian.
From: Marco Antoniotti
Carl Shapiro <········@panix.com> writes:

> Marco Antoniotti <·······@cs.nyu.edu> writes:
>
> > Andreas Burghardt <········@elapidae.de> writes:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > theres a DrScheme like editor for cLISP?
> > >
> > > Thx in advance,
> >
> > It's called (X)Emacs.
>
> Yow, what incredible smugness!

What did you expect from me? :)

> I saw a demonstration of this environment at LUGM '98 and it seemed to
> be incredibly well integrated with the language run-time.  The PLT
> debugger (which seemed to be nicely connected to the editor) struck me
> as being especially cool.  You can download the paper from the talk at
> the URL below:
>
> http://www.cs.rice.edu/CS/PLT/Publications/lugm98-ff.ps.gz
>
> Emacs plus any of the inferior Lisp packages out there cannot give you
> this sort of slick integration.

Is it any better that MCL on a Mac, vintage 1986?