From: Wojtek Sobczuk
Subject: CMUCL downtime
hey,

anyone from CMUCL here to tell me when are their servers going to be up?
  i'm trying to download documentation, but the main download servers
are down and the mirrors don't have it..

anyway, is CMUCL a good choice for CLOS (with an SQL backend - accessed
probably via uncommonsql)?

greetings,
Wojtek

From: Martin Cracauer
Subject: Re: CMUCL downtime
Wojtek Sobczuk <······@osg-hq.net> writes:

>anyone from CMUCL here to tell me when are their servers going to be up?
>  i'm trying to download documentation, but the main download servers
>are down and the mirrors don't have it..

Temporary mirrors:
ftp://ftp.linux.org.uk/pub/lisp/cmucl/
ftp://ftp.cn.freebsd.org/pub/cmucl/

>anyway, is CMUCL a good choice for CLOS (with an SQL backend - accessed
>probably via uncommonsql)?

The CLOS in CMUCL is - for the typical application of this kind -
slower than -say- Allegros.

Martin
--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Martin Cracauer <········@bik-gmbh.de> http://www.bik-gmbh.de/~cracauer/
From: Pierre R. Mai
········@counter.bik-gmbh.de (Martin Cracauer) writes:

> Wojtek Sobczuk <······@osg-hq.net> writes:
>
> >anyone from CMUCL here to tell me when are their servers going to be up?
> >  i'm trying to download documentation, but the main download servers
> >are down and the mirrors don't have it..
>
> Temporary mirrors:
> ftp://ftp.linux.org.uk/pub/lisp/cmucl/
> ftp://ftp.cn.freebsd.org/pub/cmucl/

Those don't carry the unpacked documentation stuff at the moment, though.

> >anyway, is CMUCL a good choice for CLOS (with an SQL backend - accessed
> >probably via uncommonsql)?
>
> The CLOS in CMUCL is - for the typical application of this kind -
> slower than -say- Allegros.

Note though that for applications that depend on a RDBMS, these
slight performances differences don't really matter, since RDBMS
latencies and performance are light-years away from even the slowest
CLOS implementation around.

And CMU CL's CLOS performance is currently not so far off from that of
other implementations that it can't often give competitive performance
for whole applications.

The next release will also contain a number of clean-ups and
improvements to the CLOS integration.

Regs, Pierre.

--
Pierre R. Mai <····@acm.org>                    http://www.pmsf.de/pmai/
 We cause accidents.                           -- Nathaniel Borenstein
From: Eric Marsden

  ws> anyone from CMUCL here to tell me when are their servers going
  ws> to be up? i'm trying to download documentation, but the main
  ws> download servers are down and the mirrors don't have it..

the situation is indeed a bit of a mess at the moment, but the
documentation is available from

   <URL:http://cvs2.cons.org/ftp-area/cmucl/doc/>
   <URL:ftp://cvs2.cons.org/pub/lisp/cmucl/doc/>

  ws> anyway, is CMUCL a good choice for CLOS (with an SQL backend -
  ws> accessed probably via uncommonsql)?

I guess that depends on what your priorities are. CMUCL has advantages
in hackability, performance and level of upfront costs compared with
commercial implementations, but has less documentation, no commercial
support (though you should be able to find experienced developers
willing to freelance), and several aspects of the implementation are
less polished (CLOS being perhaps the most noticeable).

--
Eric Marsden                          <URL:http://www.laas.fr/~emarsden/>
From: Paolo Amoroso
On Tue, 16 Oct 2001 16:56:20 +0000, Wojtek Sobczuk <······@osg-hq.net>
wrote:

> anyone from CMUCL here to tell me when are their servers going to be up?

The new server is currently still being reconfigured.

>   i'm trying to download documentation, but the main download servers
> are down and the mirrors don't have it..

You may try the EncyCMUCLopedia (see below).

Paolo
http://web.mclink.it/amoroso/ency/README
[http://cvs2.cons.org:8000/cmucl/doc/EncyCMUCLopedia/]